Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Wink Theme Violations at WDW

This is a discussion about theme violations. What attractions we feel like violate the themes of the areas they are supposed to represent. I will kick it off with my top theme violations at Walt Disney World, please feel free to disagree, agree, or add your own Theme Violations!

Magic Kingdom:

1. Monster Inc Laugh Floor - How do monsters in an alternate Universe generating power through the power of laughter have to do with "Tomorrow Land"

2. Buzz Light Year Space Ranger Spin - Now this might belong in Tomorrowland, if the queue and ride wasn't full of toy props. Are we actually in the Buzz Light Year world, or are we toys battling toys? These theme violations keep you from understanding your place in Tomorrowland.

3. Stitches Great Escape - Now overall this technically fits the concept for Tomorrowland (besides the fact that it technically happens in the PAST pre Lilo and Stich... so how can we be in the future and past at the same time) but the ending where Stitch jumps on the Castle and rides the Orbitron ruins the theme.

Epcot

1. The Seas with Nemo and Friends - We start off on the Australian coast, we dive underwater, take an underwater journey then end up in an underwater Sea Base? Zero sense is made in this redo.

2. Soarin' - Why am I at a pavillion celebrating the earth, and then taking a trip to California? Why?

3. Gran Fiesta Tour - Why is Jose a Brazillian bird helping to give a tour of Mexico? Also why does the animation for the 3 Caballeros not match the styling designed by Mary Blair when the ride first opened?

4. The Queue for Malestrom - Why? It is like a cooridor to a restroom at a mall.

Disney's Hollywood Studios

1. The HAT - Never have I hated something so much in a theme park. Why is it there? How does this sympolize Hollywood? Show Biz? Movie Making? Cinema? WHY?

2. Toy Story Mania - You are "shrunk down" to the size of a toy, but outside Midway Mania, there are full sized toys, so are we to assume that the toys escaped from under the bed and are consuming the Pixar Studios area?

3. Sci Fi Diner - How is it a "Hot Set" are we supposed to believe that this restaurant is used for filming?

4. The entire park - What is this park? A Nostalgic nod to the golden era of movie making? Or a current filming studio? Or collection of movie based shows and attractions with no coherent theme?

Disney's Animal Kingdom

None, while I might not be a fan of everything in this park, there is a thematic reason for everything that exists in this park.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Bangarang!

Re: Theme Violations at WDW

Excellent points. Can't say I disagree with most of them.

Although I could probably defend the Maelstrom queue for being a product of Epcot (and the era it was designed) and perhaps just lack of theme, rather than violation thereof.

Hollywood Studios doesn't really portray itself as a working studio anymore, I suppose that the working elements ie. the Catastrophe Canyon 'film set' or the Motors filming are part of the theme of the movies in general.

And finally, Animal Kingdom. Not arguing there, its just surprising when you think of it that this some time (erroneously) derided park is the poster child for outstanding theme without deviations from its original brief. I guess you could probably counter with "give it time". After all the early years of Epcot probably achieved this same level of exacting theme.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Disney's Animal Kingdom

None, while I might not be a fan of everything in this park, there is a thematic reason for everything that exists in this park.
    That'll change when Avatar-land comes into the picture.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Great points and I agree with all of them. I think the most egregious of them are the ones in Tomorrowland. Stitch's Great Escape is a very poor replacement for AE and the ending just ruins the already lackluster experience. Monsters Inc while its a good show, doesn't really belong there. I think Monsters Inc and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin ride could be moved over to a redesigned DHS.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

Isn't almost the entire EPCOT Future World now a theme violation?

• Roller coaster enthusiast

I agree with that. As I said in another post "I remember what EPCOT once was and the version that's here today pales in comparison".
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Also I know that people are going to look at me funny but how does Splash fit in Frontierland it takes place in the deep south not the west. they should have built Western River...

Also Tomorrowland Speedway has nothing to do with SiFi or the future...
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

What year... Scratch that.

Which Century is depicted in New Fantasyland ?

As I agree with some, but not all of your misplaced attractions, you forgot to say where you WOULD have put them?
    Last edited by redrhino54; 09-18-2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Dang cat stepped on the cap button when i wasnt looking....lol

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The fallacy of that question is the premise: "We have to plop this thing somewhere" instead of "let's imagine something perfectly suited and tailored to this fine place we are trying to depict."

• formerly very helpful

I agree!

As for other examples, while some would argue that it does fit, I've always seen the Aladdin carpets ride in Adventureland a theme violation. While I can see it as "adventuresome," Adventureland has always represented a tropical jungle atmosphere. Aladdin took place in a desert. It always seems so jarring to me to be at the Swiss Treehouse or Junglecruise and see this representation of a desert.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I agree!

As for other examples, while some would argue that it does fit, I've always seen the Aladdin carpets ride in Adventureland a theme violation. While I can see it as "adventuresome," Adventureland has always represented a tropical jungle atmosphere. Aladdin took place in a desert. It always seems so jarring to me to be at the Swiss Treehouse or Junglecruise and see this representation of a desert.
    +1

• From the Garums

Hester and chesters carnival nightmare isn't technicall a theme violation. It's a carnival, set up adjacent to a paleontological dig site. I never knew that was the story until I started reading the backstory to the park though, and it always stands out to me as an unsightly and unnecessary area. It's like, technically they didn't break theming laws, but this is the kind of thing that if I was a supreme court justice I would change the law about.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I agree!

adventureland was always more complex then that though. its not simply just tropical jungle, there is the Caribbean around pirates, polynesian influences, the jungle cruise which is sort of generic jungle but more african then anything else, and the bazar which was initially there taking up that space and its middle eastern vibe. the ride does fit thematically at the end of the day, however my issue with it is that it doesn't fit LITERALLY creating arguably the worst bottle neck in the entire resort.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Also I know that people are going to look at me funny but how does Splash fit in Frontierland it takes place in the deep south not the west. they should have built Western River...
    Splash Mountain also ruins the masterful movement through time and place as one goes from Liberty Square through Frontierland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast