New Effect for HM Stretching Room

Hello Everyone!

I have been toying around with an idea for the WDW HM Stretching Room. We all know that contrary to Disneyland's (as well as Disneyland Paris') Stretching Room, where the room is actually an elevator, the Stretching Room in WDW stays at ground floor while the ceiling rises.

I think that it would be a neat effect if while the lights go out and the lightning is flashing showing the hanged corpse, the roof would very rapidly go down to its original position, so when the light turns on, the portraits are all back to original size. This would go greatly with the Ghost Host saying "Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it your imagination?" as the illusion would be that ghosts are messing up with our perception to make us believe we are seeing things.

I believe that with a modern, super quiet and super fast motor this effect would be easy to achieve. It would just be a little detail, but it would also be even creepier than the original.

What are your thoughts?

• I'm a Lutheran

Re: New Effect for HM Stretching Room

If I remember correctly, the one problem is that the portrait canvases get really tired and worn from stretching as it is, so doing that may or may not hurt them even more.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

I think that after guests leave the ceiling lowers for the next guests in around 30 seconds. Maybe if there was a longer dark thundery cue it would be possible to make this happen with the guests inside of the room and the lights off. I know I will get lots of disapproval with this, but what about some innocent non obtrusive non cgi non tacky or too distracting​ digital projection?

Ive personally never liked the annoying screaming and falling thump effect so I think it could be replaced by something else.... And if the classic bride and groom men could be changed by Constance and her changing portraits then this shouldnt be a big deal.
    Last edited by mtlchuck; 09-18-2013 at 07:35 PM.

I like it the way it is and enjoy being able to see the "stretched" portraits for quick look as people leave the room. That gives me a chance to get an unobstructed shot of one of the portraits if I want to do that. I like having them fully revealed at the end and don't want it changed.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I remember hearing rumors during the big re-do at WDW that this was one of the ideas on the table. Never heard exactly why it didn't happen... could have been the stretching portraits or possibly a "money to projects ratio" problem.

It definitely would be a great difference for the two mansions. I'm in the camp that says they don't need to be identical and I'm not too happy with the changes made to make them more alike. Viva le Difference!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson

• Heavy Breather

Sounds interesting. But would be impossible to pull off without the aid of screens. Which I am not for.

• Heavy Breather

Repost, sorry
    Last edited by LordVader; 09-19-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Repost

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Rapid de-stretch was programmed and tested as part of the big refurbishment that saw the addition of Constance and the stairway. Supposedly it was quite quite startling. I do think it would be amazing to see!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Rapid de-stretch was programmed and tested as part of the big refurbishment that saw the addition of Constance and the stairway. Supposedly it was quite quite startling. I do think it would be amazing to see!
    So maybe it even happens now, just without people in the room! Itd be a quite subtle change- i bet most people wouldnt even notice it! I am annoyed about how eager sometimes Disney is about tacky effects, yet subtle ones happen rarely. I find that at HMH in Anaheim, Zero's ghost flying through the portraits is quite annoying, as it totally breaks the illusion of them being "vhsnging portraits", but rather oversized ipad screens with screensavers on them.