• former CM

What does Dusty know about WDW expansion plans?

Disney has at times promised big things to come that never came to be. Micechat has hinted at big plans coming to WDW, but these haven't been revealed yet.

I've read that big plans are not revealed because then tourists defer visits, so it's better to just build things quickly, though Universal Orlando seems to be the only resort in America that celebrates speedy construction.

So what's the billion-dollar addition to WDW besides MagicBands?

I'd like the whole resort spruced up, including attractions, and the ultimate bike path/rental system built, and billion-dollar, DCA-scale additions for the AK & Studios.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-24-2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: What does Dusty know about WDW expansion plans and when did he learn it?

Dusty, hears things from a lot of people all over, and once he gets the full story, he will share it.

The plans for WDW right now in various stages, some of them truly exciting (StarWars for instance)

I hope that he has something to break soon.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Re: What does Dusty know about WDW expansion plans and when did he learn it?

I think the new standard will be to not announce things until construction is underway. It's absolutely true that people plan around when something big is going to open up. And they might skip a trip if they know that if they just wait another year they can be there when something amazing is finished.

My family was going to take a Disney trip in the spring of next year but we're putting it off until October of next year instead, so we can ride the Mine Train after it opens and also be there for MNSSHP. We don't want to be there right when the Mine Train opens and want to have the lines die down a bit. So, I can tell you that people really do rethink their plans and wait for an attraction they want a little further down the calendar.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: What does Dusty know about WDW expansion plans?

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I've read that big plans are not revealed because then tourists defer visits, so it's better to just build things quickly, though Universal Orlando seems to be the only resort in America that celebrates speedy construction.
    Ok. Here's the thing. The Harry Potter expansion was under construction for close to a YEAR before Universal made any official announcement. Jaws closed January 2, 2012. Demolition of the ride and construction of Diagon Alley started almost immediately after. They wasted no time getting started. So it's been under construction for nearly 2 years now and will open spring/summer of 2014. That's 2.5 years total but since Universal didn't officially announce what it was going to be (though it as SO obvious) until spring of 2013, it makes it sound like construction would only be going on in a year's time.

I'm not making any apologies to Disney for taking so long to build ONE ride, but I think this one is going to surprise at least some of the naysayers. It's going to be MUCH MORE than a kiddie coaster. It'll be a family ride for sure, but it'll be NOTHING like the Barnstormer.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: What does Dusty know about WDW expansion plans?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Ok. Here's the thing. The Harry Potter expansion was under construction for close to a YEAR before Universal made any official announcement. Jaws closed January 2, 2012. Demolition of the ride and construction of Diagon Alley started almost immediately after. They wasted no time getting started. So it's been under construction for nearly 2 years now and will open spring/summer of 2014. That's 2.5 years total but since Universal didn't officially announce what it was going to be (though it as SO obvious) until spring of 2013, it makes it sound like construction would only be going on in a year's time.

I'm not making any apologies to Disney for taking so long to build ONE ride, but I think this one is going to surprise at least some of the naysayers. It's going to be MUCH MORE than a kiddie coaster. It'll be a family ride for sure, but it'll be NOTHING like the Barnstormer.
    It will be more than barn stormer, but don't expect too many thrills. It won't have as much speed as barn stormer either.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by