Question About Big Thunder Railroad

I was at WDW last week for a vacation and road the Big Thunder Railroad roller coaster in the Magic Kingdom. I did not enjoy the ride. Seemed faster than when I was last in the park in 2006. G forces on the curves made the ride more tortureous than fun for me. Has anyone else had the same experience? Have then increased the speed of this ride since 2006, or am I just imagining this? When I rode it in 2006 I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I doubt I will ride it again after my experience last week. Thanks.

• Adventurer

Re: Question About Big Thunder Railroad

G-force can affect you differently depending on where you sit during the ride. Did you ride in a different car this time around? That could be it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSmollett View Post
    G-force can affect you differently depending on where you sit during the ride. Did you ride in a different car this time around? That could be it.
    I have ridden it before in many different positions in the cars, and never experienced what I did last week. Not a fun ride for me anymore.

• Under that tree again!

Aging of bodies can make it different too. Also maybe what and when you ate.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

It depends on what time of the day it is I think. I noticed that during the day and during the evening there is a difference. I don't know if anyone has experienced it. However, a friend of mine suggested that during the night Thunder is much more faster and rough than in the day.

When I went, I rode the ride multiple times and seemed fine as usual. However, I didn't expect a change at night, but I was wrong. It was far more faster and rougher at night as she suggested, but I found it enjoyable that way it being faster. I road it multiple times as well. It stayed the same each time.

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

All of the above.

BTMR can have very different ride experiences based on -

1. Time of day when riding / outdoor temps

2. What car you ride in

3. Your particular nerve-ratio

Riding mid-day can cause some trains to run faster due to the 'grease being hot on the rails'.
    There is also a old CM rumor that one of the numbered trains runs faster then all of them.

Sitting in the back seat, in the back car, also produces the best ( or worse, depending on your opinion..) sensations of really feeling like you are about to fly off the track...exspecially that bend near the Rivers of America.

The front car is the most tame, mid section car is a mild ride, back car is the most intense.

Also, BTMR at WDW just had it's tracks replaced earlier this year, which means a smoother ( possibly faster-seeming ) ride.

Perhaps one, or more of these came into play during your ride and produced the unexpected sensations you experienced.

There is a reason they call it 'The Wildest Ride In The Wilderness'...!

I got old and finally had to admit that I couldn't ride things like the tilt-a-whirl anymore.