• Shubisha

WDW Pools to be Locked at Night

Disney will lock hotel swimming pools overnight - Orlando Sentinel

You may remember a few months ago the child drowning at a value resort's pool at night when the pool was unsupervised by lifeguards. Disney isn't saying that has anything to do with this announcement, but nonetheless:

From now on, WDW resort "feature" pools will not be available after normal hours. Once the lifeguard leaves, the pools will be locked. If there doesn't exist a fence around the pool yet, one will be built. It does mention that the smaller "unguarded" pools will still be open all night. So I already question the consistency/necessity of this decision. I'm not sure what constitutes a feature vs quiet pool... seems like even the side pools at the value resorts are "featurish" with only the moderate+ having completely unthemed "quiet pools."

I can't say pool restriction at the extreme hours of the night is going to be a large impact on anyone's vacation really.. I did enjoy on a couple of nights coming back from an entire day at the parks in the middle of summer and taking a dip even though it was midnight or so.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: WDW Pools to be Locked at Night

If a lifeguard is present in the daytime at the pool, it is a feature pool and will get fenced in. That's the difference.
    -Bill

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    If a lifeguard is present in the daytime at the pool, it is a feature pool and will get fenced in. That's the difference.
    Will the few existing hot tubs that happen to all be next to feature pools be locked up too I wonder?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Will the few existing hot tubs that happen to all be next to feature pools be locked up too I wonder?
    Only time will tell... and money... as in, the cheapest way to fence in the pools.
    -Bill

I stayed at the Art of Animation Resort this past May, and loved the fact that the main pool was open 24 hours. Just wish the bar didn't close at midnight.

It's going to be the main themed pools, not the little pools around the main pools, or the hot tubs from what I've read.

I don't think WDW realizes how much money is going to be pumped into this. I haven't seen all the resorts, but from what I've seen, a lot of them are not fenced in. So, it's going to be a lot of money.

Also, I wonder if this is going to be done now, eventually, or slowly making a process of it happening.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    It's going to be the main themed pools, not the little pools around the main pools, or the hot tubs from what I've read.

I don't think WDW realizes how much money is going to be pumped into this. I haven't seen all the resorts, but from what I've seen, a lot of them are not fenced in. So, it's going to be a lot of money.

Also, I wonder if this is going to be done now, eventually, or slowly making a process of it happening.
    Money now is cheaper than a wrongful death suit later...and you can't put a price on life...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Safety First. Last. ALWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    Money now is cheaper than a wrongful death suit later...and you can't put a price on life...
    I wasn't implying that it isn't important. A life is priceless.

I (and I think we all know) how much Disney likes making money nowadays it seems and I was just simply stating it's going to be a lot of money to make the fences and gates. If anything they should have made them sooner.

How is closing the main pools but leaving the small pools open improving safety? Someone can just as easily drown in a quiet pool. The logic escapes me.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by WorldLover71 View Post
    How is closing the main pools but leaving the small pools open improving safety? Someone can just as easily drown in a quiet pool. The logic escapes me.
    I agree that it's an inconsistency that makes the effort seem futile. On the other hand, lifeguards are NEVER at the side pools so this could be a way to address parents claiming they thought the main pool was guarded even though it's 3am. Silly or not, whatever. For what it's worth the main pools are usually pretty big bodies of water that are harder to see what's in them at night. I could see a preventative argument that it's more likely for a kid to wander into a far off side of the pool at night without someone noticing versus one of the smaller pools(if no one else is at the smaller pool, moot point of course).

I wonder if they're going to extend the lifeguard hours. We stayed at the Grand Californian a couple of weeks ago, and the lifeguards left at 7pm...with a good amount of daylight still left, and plenty of people (including us) still enjoying the pool.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBlakesley View Post
    I wonder if they're going to extend the lifeguard hours. We stayed at the Grand Californian a couple of weeks ago, and the lifeguards left at 7pm...with a good amount of daylight still left, and plenty of people (including us) still enjoying the pool.
    That didn't happen. They weren't on their stands, but there are always guards on deck somewhere, right up until close.
    -Bill

While reading articles on the pools getting locked up and on the boy that drowned as well, I read that apparently, the lifeguards at the time left around 8, and a little later was when the boy ended up drowning. Technically, the pool was open, but lifeguards from what the article said usually leave their post earlier than when the pool actually closes.

However, they said once they install the fences and gates that the lifeguards will stay at their posts until closing (11pm), will locked up the gates, and leave.