• Sock Puppet

Disgust with recent WDW vacation

Every time I try to have a serious discussion about the slow but steady de-American-ization of Disney World it leads to locked or deleted threads. I'll try again, maybe I'll get some "on topic" responses this time from people who want to discus reality.

My Disney history: Been going to D.W. since 2000, my wife since the early 90's. We also lived in Celebration for three years from 2005 to 2008. In that time period we have hundreds of park visits under our belt. When we lived in Celebration we were at Disney at least three times a week, not to mention Universal and Sea World.

Here's my issue: Once 9/11 hit and the British tourist stopped flying over, and the American people were also too afraid to fly, Disney's attendance dropped off severely. Then later the recession hits -also affecting American attendance at the parks. To counter this Disney started a marketing blitz in South America to bring tourist in from there because their economies were growing stronger as ours languished in recession. Since about 2002 we have seen a steady but sure increase in the number of park visitors from Latin America, which at first was a not too noticeable, but is now overwhelming.

On our last vacation to Disney a couple of weeks back we could not believe the amount of Hispanic/Latin people in the parks. It was literally about 80% of the park guests. Nobody speaks English and all we heard at every turn was nothing but Spanish being spoken. There was no place to get a five minute break from it. Combine that with the fact that 75% of Disney's workforce on the ground is now Hispanic/Latin -and it makes for a very unpleasant and un-American experience at what was once an icon of Americana. It was even worse over at Universal at probably about 85 to 90%.

At one point I grabbed an American looking cast member and attempted to have an off-the-record conversation with him about the situation. To my surprise he was quite open and honest in speaking with me. I could sense his frustration as well. He explained that because of the currency exchange rate their money goes about twice as far as our U.S. dollar does now, so a Disney or Orlando vacation is quite affordable to working class Latin Americans. He also went on to explain that visas and passports have become much easier to obtain. In closing I asked him if there was a better time of year to come for vacation that we wouldn't feel like foreigners in our Country, his response was : "no, it's now like this all year round".

As an example of my frustration... One night on our recent vacation we walked around Downtown Disney and literally 4 of the 6 live bands they had playing in various spots were playing Latin music, and I just asked myself "what is going on here, where am I?" They now have three Hispanic/Latin eateries in there as well. I remember when the T-Rex restaurant first opened years ago and they were blaring Latin music on the P.A. as you walked by, so I asked to speak with the manager and had a simple question for him : How does Latin music tie in with the restaurant theme of per-historic dinosaurs??? He had no answer for me.

I'm sure many of you remember the promotional videos that played on the Disney TV stations in your guest rooms over the years, and if you think back they always had very perky "All American" actors in them, then a few years back they decided to switch to a more Hispanic/Latin looking host and she has been in the videos ever since (at least as of two weeks ago when we were there). No to mention all Disney promotional material like TV commercials, mailings, and their website prominently feature Latin/Hispanic people in place of "Americans" like they used to have in them for the 30 years prior to 9/11.

How subversive is all this? It's really disgusting the blatant greed of the Disney company and what they will do all in the name of shareholder profits. They have slowly destroyed this place over the past 11 years. Somehow I don't think this was Walt's dream. I'm just asking readers out there to think about this stuff. It's not a matter of being "racist" or anything like that, it's about loosing another American icon to greed and political correctness (because we don't dare speak of these things aloud- oh my!). My problem with all of this is that when I'm spending thousands of dollars for a Disney vacation it's quite disturbing to me that I go there and I'm made to feel like I'm foreigner in my own Country. Maybe occasional visitors who haven't been going there as often or as long as we have don't notice this change (although I don't know how you couldn't), but we remember pre-9/11 and it was nothing like it is now.

What was once a very "magical" place that took you away to another world when you walked in the gates now feels like you walked into a third-world flea market, and that's a damn shame.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Disgust with recent WDW vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post

Here's my issue: ... Disney started a marketing blitz in South America to bring tourist in from there because their economies were growing stronger as ours languished in recession. Since about 2002 we have seen a steady but sure increase in the number of park visitors from Latin America, which at first was a not too noticeable, but is now overwhelming.

On our last vacation to Disney a couple of weeks back we could not believe the amount of Hispanic/Latin people in the parks. It was literally about 80% of the park guests. Nobody speaks English and all we heard at every turn was nothing but Spanish being spoken. There was no place to get a five minute break from it. Combine that with the fact that 75% of Disney's workforce on the ground is now Hispanic/Latin -and it makes for a very unpleasant and un-American experience at what was once an icon of Americana. It was even worse over at Universal at probably about 85 to 90%.

At one point I grabbed an American looking cast member and attempted to have an off-the-record conversation with him about the situation. To my surprise he was quite open and honest in speaking with me. I could sense his frustration as well. He explained that because of the currency exchange rate their money goes about twice as far as our U.S. dollar does now, so a Disney or Orlando vacation is quite affordable to working class Latin Americans. He also went on to explain that visas and passports have become much easier to obtain. In closing I asked him if there was a better time of year to come for vacation that we wouldn't feel like foreigners in our Country, his response was : "no, it's now like this all year round".

As an example of my frustration... One night on our recent vacation we walked around Downtown Disney and literally 4 of the 6 live bands they had playing in various spots were playing Latin music, and I just asked myself "what is going on here, where am I?" They now have three Hispanic/Latin eateries in there as well. I remember when the T-Rex restaurant first opened years ago and they were blaring Latin music on the P.A. as you walked by, so I asked to speak with the manager and had a simple question for him : How does Latin music tie in with the restaurant theme of per-historic dinosaurs??? He had no answer for me.

I'm sure many of you remember the promotional videos that played on the Disney TV stations in your guest rooms over the years, and if you think back they always had very perky "All American" actors in them, then a few years back they decided to switch to a more Hispanic/Latin looking host and she has been in the videos ever since (at least as of two weeks ago when we were there). No to mention all Disney promotional material like TV commercials, mailings, and their website prominently feature Latin/Hispanic people in place of "Americans" like they used to have in them for the 30 years prior to 9/11.

How subversive is all this? It's really disgusting the blatant greed of the Disney company and what they will do all in the name of shareholder profits. They have slowly destroyed this place over the past 11 years. Somehow I don't think this was Walt's dream. I'm just asking readers out there to think about this stuff. It's not a matter of being "racist" or anything like that, it's about loosing another American icon to greed and political correctness (because we don't dare speak of these things aloud- oh my!). My problem with all of this is that when I'm spending thousands of dollars for a Disney vacation it's quite disturbing to me that I go there and I'm made to feel like I'm foreigner in my own Country. Maybe occasional visitors who haven't been going there as often or as long as we have don't notice this change (although I don't know how you couldn't), but we remember pre-9/11 and it was nothing like it is now.

What was once a very "magical" place that took you away to another world when you walked in the gates now feels like you walked into a third-world flea market, and that's a damn shame.
    What's a shame is that you had the reaction you did.

Was everybody else who was there on vacation expected to be talking to you? Should you have been included on ALL or even ANY of their conversations? No? Why? Because other families on vacation can say whatever they want to each other and in any language they feel like, because what they're talking about... is none of your business.

Your idea that real "Americans" are white is just plain racist.

Welcome to the new america

I have two questions

If the parks were 80-90% filled with British tourists and all you heard at the dinosaur themed restaurant was Beatles songs would you care?

If you ran the parks would you have accepted the post 9/11 drop in revenue and not embraced the new markets that were more than willing to spend money and visit your theme parks?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

By marketing WDW to Latin America, they were sending out invitations to be their guests.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    What's a shame is that you had the reaction you did.

Was everybody else who was there on vacation expected to be talking to you? Should you have been included on ALL or even ANY of their conversations? No? Why? Because other families on vacation can say whatever they want to each other and in any language they feel like, because what they're talking about... is none of your business.

Your idea that real "Americans" are white is just plain racist.
    What are you talking about? Why would I care about having conversations with people? Did you even read what I wrote? Wow

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    What are you talking about? Why would I care about having conversations with people? Did you even read what I wrote? Wow
    Yes, essentially you complained that other guests ruined your vacation because they were speaking Spanish. Were they talking to you? Probably not, probably amongst themselves. And they have the right to do that without anyone making them feel uncomfortable. It's none of your business what other guests are talking about or what language they're speaking.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by bkeyes19 View Post
    I have two questions

If the parks were 80-90% filled with British tourists and all you heard at the dinosaur themed restaurant was Beatles songs would you care?

If you ran the parks would you have accepted the post 9/11 drop in revenue and not embraced the new markets that were more than willing to spend money and visit your theme parks?
    \

#1. Well, you answer me this first : how does the Latin Salsa music they were blasting correlate to pre-historic dinosaurs???

#2. No, I would not sell out America to make a quick buck. I would find other ways to preserve the Disney legacy and re-energize the original guest base that we had for the prior 30 years and get them back.

• Sock Puppet

"Yes, essentially you complained that other guests ruined your vacation because they were speaking Spanish. Were they talking to you? Probably not, probably amongst themselves. And they have the right to do that without anyone making them feel uncomfortable. It's none of your business what other guests are talking about or what language they're speaking."

Wow, you really don't understand anything I was saying.
    Last edited by Andre; 09-27-2013 at 10:43 AM.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by archainbaud View Post
    Welcome to the new america
    Oh, I know...

Not only that, welcome to the new Orlando/ Kissimmee. <We lived there and got the hell out :

Mug Shots in Orange County Orlando, FL - Orlando Sentinel < What's amazing about this is ;watch the dates and notice how many arrests in one day. It's mind blowing.
    Last edited by Andre; 09-27-2013 at 10:46 AM.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Folks, the race of any visitor to Disney World or any other park should not matter. This discussion is already over the line. Please review our FAQ and refrain from racist or political discussions: MiceChat Rules and Regulations:

Thread closed

Those who insist on posting racist comments will be removed from MiceChat. This is a privately owned and operated site and there is no room for that kind of discussion here.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,