View Poll Results: How did you return to the Futureport?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Omega Centauri (Space)

7 41.18%
  • Mesa Verde (Desert)

4 23.53%
  • Sea Castle (Undersea)

6 35.29%

• Metro-Retro Historian

Happy Birthday Horizons

30 years ago today, Imagineering hit its peak and opened the greatest attraction anyone has ever built. Horizons was an inspiring trip through how we might actually live in the future. Bold in every aspect and unflinching in its optimism, it was the kind of ride that could only be built by Disney. An attraction this risky in a park that itself was a tremendous risk would never happen today. Horizons took itself seriously and stated without any hint of cynicism that the future would be an amazing place to live and that we were well on the way to achieving it. That sentiment was so powerful and so much a part of Disney's identity at the time, that the attractions slogan has not only become the philosophy of Epcot (if you believe the announcer on the monorail) but has also been misappropriated as a quote from Walt himself.

There's a big buzz about interactive attractions these days. While they have existed since Dumbo and the Mad Tea Party, they took a huge leap forward with Horizons when guests were invited to choose their own ending. I added a poll to see how people decided to take their return trip from the future.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 10-01-2013 at 07:27 AM.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Cool Yule

Re: Happy Birthday Horizons

Oh how I miss this attraction! And its oft overlooked that it did have such an interactive element to it.

And don't forget that it was supposed to be a sequel of sorts to the Carousel of Progress.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Still one of Disney's greatest attractions.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Cool Yule

^True that.

And at the moment we have a tie in the poll. I remember being told 'majority rules' on the attraction, but can anyone remember what happened if there was a tie? (ie. three riders in the car).

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I picked all 3 options and alternated between them.

• formerly very helpful

I would alternate between the three endings, as well. But I voted Mesa Verde, since that was my favorite.

Horizons was the all time greatest attraction ever built in any theme park anywhere. Period. It was Disney's masterpiece, and what happened to it was a crime.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    ^True that.

And at the moment we have a tie in the poll. I remember being told 'majority rules' on the attraction, but can anyone remember what happened if there was a tie? (ie. three riders in the car).
    One time when I was riding with my cousin we couldn't decide on sea or space so we decided to give each 2 votes and see what happened in the event of a tie. If I'm remembering right we got space, so ties were either decided randomly or maybe whoever got their vote in first. I guess we'll never know.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• formerly very helpful

I think the recording explaining about how to vote for your ending said that in the case of a tie, the computer would decide. I remember when I'd ride by myself, I'd often purposely push the buttons into a tie, or not push them at all to see what would happen, and throw some randomness into it. Sadly, I don't remember what the outcomes were.