Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is bread too expensive for the Mouse?

OK ... I gotta ask CMs ... especially any food CMs, what's the deal with bread at WDW? Has there been some mandate that cutting bread will save X number of dollars because I have seen some ridiculous changes and am thinking of contacting the head of WDW Food and Beverage ...

Examples:

LTT in MK no longer serves their delicious rolls and apple butter with lunch (I have heard it's available if you ask, but who is going to know about it ... if that's the case?)

At a recent meal at the California Grill, they offered my party of four a small basket when we sat down and ordered our wine. We liked it a lot and wound up getting two more. When the check came it showed we had consumed 18 pieces of bread ... no, they didn't charge for it ... but I couldn't believe a restaurant of that caliber would do something so tacky.

Today ... lunch at Kona Cafe (where every item has had its prices raised 20 cents). No bread or the great crackers they used to serve. Not one table. No, I didn't ask.

I just can't believe the Mouse is keeping the bread so he can make more bread, but that's apparently is what is happenning in Food and Bev.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

• Former CM

Re: Is bread too expensive for the Mouse?

I hope this is not the case. I won't be very happy if I can't get my rolls and apple butter or pretzel bread. Next time I'm also planning on going to California Grill and I don't want a reciept telling me how much bread I've had as that is beyon tacky.

• Banned User

Hmmm... Kona Cafe still has bread. Maybe it's just being taken away at lunch?

• On the Highway in the Sky

A couple of years ago, Columbia Harbour House had their quite good (for a quick service restuarant) clam chowder served up in a nice bread bowl. Now, not only is the bread bowl gone, the amount of chowder seems smaller (hard to compare though). We still miss that.........

I am noticing many -- for lack of a better term -- petty, gouging of guests in food and bev.

I've been slumming it at the Pop Century since this was a last-minute trip and I didn't figure to spend much time in the room. I notice the prices in the food court here have gone up ... way up ... since my last stay in late 2004.

The worst offender is the little (think tiny) side salad that they have the gall to charge $3.99 for. Think half of a McDonald's 99 cent salad for an idea. Same item, only larger, used to be $1.99. Tonight at the Mara at DAK Lodge, a bigger side salad went for $2.69.
    The sandwiches in the grab-and-go case also went way up. The same sandwich that will cost you $3.99 at the 7-11 on 192 is $7.19 here ... Just reeks of some mid-level food and beverage manager trying to look good and score a promotion by screwing guests.

Also, I notice almost no one is buying the refillable mugs anymore. I've noticed a steady decline the last two years. My gut says it's because the price point that people decided they weren't worth more was $9.99. They are now $11.99.

And the bread deal is really getting on my nerves. They don't count the bread at dumps like the Olive Garden, but Disney has to?

Ok, this explanation comes directly from a friend of mine who was the manager at the Liberty Tree Tavern. About 2 years ago when the low carb craze really kicked in bread consumption dropped dramatically. It dropped so much that about 80% of the bread was being thrown out everyday. At first they just assumed this was going to be a fad and people would go back to their old routine. Sure enough it did die however, something that was unexpected happened. The amount of bread being thrown into the garbage was still extremely high. Even though the low carb craze was dead there was still apparently a negative association with eating too much bread. This was extremely apparent during lunch when the most bread went into the garbage. New procedures eventually went into affect at various restaurants. Bread became available upon request. The waiters and waitresses were trained to offer bread with certain meals where bread is customarily used. I don't really have a problem with this policy, however I think it would make it a lot easier if they simply put it on the menu that bread is offered at no charge upon request or bread is simply offered when sitting down instead of immediately being placed on the tables.

I agree Rosso. We always have to ask for bread and cranberry sauce for our Pilgrim's Feasts at the Liberty Tree. We also have to ask for bread at the Prime Time Cafe too. Bread at Le Cellier is also a must. I don't mind asking for the bread as long as they still have it at the resturants. Where I live, if you go to a resturant and they do not give you some sort of bread, that place won't be around very long

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I've been slumming it at the Pop Century since this was a last-minute trip and I didn't figure to spend much time in the room.
    Regardless, the peons demand a room quality/cleanliness report.

Also, I notice almost no one is buying the refillable mugs anymore. I've noticed a steady decline the last two years. My gut says it's because the price point that people decided they weren't worth more was $9.99. They are now $11.99.
    Probably also depends on how long you're staying. Most people at Pop Century probably aren't staying long at that resort, the ones who are would be the ones still buying the mugs.

And the bread deal is really getting on my nerves. They don't count the bread at dumps like the Olive Garden, but Disney has to?
    Perhaps it's only for dinner/entrees? Bread is a fairly new thing at the hotel 24 hour coffee shops here, only showing up last year, and I know some places will give me bread for ordering a standard cheeseburger while some other places demand I buy a full-sized entree instead of a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso11
    Ok, this explanation comes directly from a friend of mine who was the manager at the Liberty Tree Tavern. About 2 years ago when the low carb craze really kicked in bread consumption dropped dramatically. It dropped so much that about 80% of the bread was being thrown out everyday. At first they just assumed this was going to be a fad and people would go back to their old routine. Sure enough it did die however, something that was unexpected happened. The amount of bread being thrown into the garbage was still extremely high. Even though the low carb craze was dead there was still apparently a negative association with eating too much bread. This was extremely apparent during lunch when the most bread went into the garbage. New procedures eventually went into affect at various restaurants. Bread became available upon request. The waiters and waitresses were trained to offer bread with certain meals where bread is customarily used. I don't really have a problem with this policy, however I think it would make it a lot easier if they simply put it on the menu that bread is offered at no charge upon request or bread is simply offered when sitting down instead of immediately being placed on the tables.
    Fair enough explantion, Rosso11, much like water at many restaurants.

However, NOT putting it on the menu or simply having the server ask guests means 99% of the people who want bread won't get it. They are simply going to assume Disney doesn't offer it. They may, like I did, go away pissed. But Disney still makes out ... how much are they saving on the bread?

You need to tell your friend at LTT, they need to revisit the policy and it needs to be done around property. I guarantee you a whole lot more folks want bread and if Disney was so worried about health consciousness above guest complaints they might start cracking down on all the burgers and chicken fingers etc ... and the dumbing down of menus property-wide with comfort foods. (I went to Boma this weekend and again was amazed at how many fat Americans spent $25.99 to eat mac n'cheese, fries and chicken fingers off the kiddie buffet because their palettes are so simple they can't/won't try any of the amazing offerings Boma has.)

This is a ridiculous situation and I wonder how the head of food and beverage for WDW would feel if the Orlando Sentinel did a story on this.

FWIW, I see a lot of petty changes in food and beverage ... from the rise in all buffet prices to the removal of shrimp at Ohana and monkfish at Jiko from the menus to having Tostitos from a bag and jar salsa being served at a supposed high end Mexican restuarant in San Angel Inn. It all reeks of the work of some high-priced consulting firm that Disney hired to help cut $$$ out of their operation.

Feel free to pass this on to your pal at Disney.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I've been slumming it at the Pop Century since this was a last-minute trip and I didn't figure to spend much time in the room.

<<Regardless, the peons demand a room quality/cleanliness report.>>

Sure ... room is very small and basic, but in good repair and quite clean.
    They do waste room between one of the beds and the wall, which is surprising as the other bed is on top of the door -- literally you open the door and hit the bed.

The only noticeable area of the room that needs any attention is the walls, which show a far amount of black marks and scuffs likely due to luggage and the small size.

I normally don't stay at Pop Century or the All Stars, but for a quick brief visit to ride Everest -- and to be able to stay in Epcot until midnight FRiday night -- I booked the place.

I'm satisfied I got my $$$'s worth.

Quote:
    <<Probably also depends on how long you're staying. Most people at Pop Century probably aren't staying long at that resort, the ones who are would be the ones still buying the mugs.>>

Nope. Been seeing the same trend at many Disney resorts since 2003. They simply sell far fewer. Every item has a certain price point where if it goes over, many people opt not to buy. I truly believe it was $9.99.

• Disney Memory Maker

if Disney was so worried about health consciousness above guest complaints they might start cracking down on all the burgers and chicken fingers etc ...
    Difference is, people want that type of food. If what Rosso11 says is true (and I completely believe him), people did not want bread (and therefore, they had to throw it out). It's not about Disney catering to a diet plan, it's about serving what sells.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Difference is, people want that type of food. If what Rosso11 says is true (and I completely believe him), people did not want bread (and therefore, they had to throw it out). It's not about Disney catering to a diet plan, it's about serving what sells.
    Apologist argument. I believe some, maybe even a majority of, people didn't want it and Disney used it as an excuse to save money.

Bread isn't a profit item. It's part of the cost of doing business if you run a restaurant.

And Disney doesn't have to throw anything out. There are plenty of homeless shelters, not to mention low income CMs, who could eat it.

• Disney Memory Maker

Apologist argument. I believe some, maybe even a majority of, people didn't want it and Disney used it as an excuse to save money.

Bread isn't a profit item. It's part of the cost of doing business if you run a restaurant.

And Disney doesn't have to throw anything out. There are plenty of homeless shelters, not to mention low income CMs, who could eat it.
    To put it in JAVA....
    if(!peopleEat($bread)) { echo "This is wasting our money. Why are we giving away something the majority of people don't want?"; }

Point is, it costs money for Disney to make the bread. If Disney can save money by cutting something people don't want, that is good. Sensible people would call that a good business standpoint. You call it apologist. I am sorry that Disney can't cater to your tastes, but Disney is a company. They will do what financially makes sense & what the majority of the people want.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Actually, they do. Once an item has been put on a table in the state of Florida, it can not go anywhere except the trash if the guests do not eat it or want to take it with them. Even if they don't touch the item, it still has been served and it can't go anywhere. State law. And that's true for the homeless shelters in Florida as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Actually, they do. Once an item has been put on a table in the state of Florida, it can not go anywhere except the trash if the guests do not eat it or want to take it with them. Even if they don't touch the item, it still has been served and it can't go anywhere. State law. And that's true for the homeless shelters in Florida as well.
    Bill is 100% correct. Any thing that is placed on the table MUST be thrown out. Thats the law. Look I'm sure money was an issue as well. I'm sure it wasn't that they were just throwing out all of this good bread but they are also throwing out all of this money. The both of them are connected. Money was not the answer that I was given but I'm sure with a little common sense you can see they are connected.

My friend is no longer at Liberty Tree Tavern she has since moved onto another location but I will pass along any advice you guys give, so she can give it to the right people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast