Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: My MagicBand Review

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
    So it's not possible to use the key cards to open the hotel room's door anymore?
    There's no longer a keycard slot. The keycards also have RFID chips in them which act the same as the magicbands, just hold the key up to the reader and poof, door unlocked.
    "You are about to discover what lies beyond the fifth dimension, beyond the deepest darkest corners of the imagination....inside the Twilight Zone."

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    We never had any problems or wrist aerobics when opening the doors via magicbands. For the door, it doesn't matter which way the mickey head is facing, it doesn't have to match exactly face to face, or at least ours didn't. Everything else you use it for, it has to match up, but our door never did.

We also never experiences any wrist pinching or uncomfortableness with the bands and we were 3 adults, me with a tiny wrist and my dad with a large wrist. To be honest, most of the time, I forgot it was even on.

Super convenient, I agree, I really liked that aspect of it. We had no problems with anything, changed the times when we got to the park that day if we wanted or left them as they were (it was mostly just time-altering as our day went on).

I just didn't like the app very much. At least with my old smartphone, it was very sluggish and it liked to freeze up on me and the wi-fi in the parks wasn't very strong, but in the resort rooms, the wi-fi was great! But I like how they have the dedicated areas where you can go and make changes and you don't have to stand in line at your hotel or at City Hall in order to do it, if you are like me and your phone doesn't like you.
    I never had to line up the mickey for anything, door, fastpass+, admission, etc. Sometimes you had twist your wrist a little up or down, but I never had to line them up.
    "You are about to discover what lies beyond the fifth dimension, beyond the deepest darkest corners of the imagination....inside the Twilight Zone."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TONY THE BEAT View Post
    Thanks for the review. I'll be going in December and was looking at the site today and got to order our bands. Now for the Magic + thing did you get picked to test it out or does it come with the bands?
    Funny, we're going in December too, but still waiting!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterNut View Post
    There's no longer a keycard slot. The keycards also have RFID chips in them which act the same as the magicbands, just hold the key up to the reader and poof, door unlocked.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure about this magicbands idea

What happens if you wear it all day in a waterpark, do they present problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure about this magicbands idea

What happens if you wear it all day in a waterpark, do they present problems?
    They're 100% waterproof so that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterNut View Post
    They're 100% waterproof so that wouldn't be a problem at all.
    Well, unless you hate having your tan ruined by a watchband.

Yes, you can change reservations with an ap in September. You won't be able to change reservations in Summer, Christmas Holidays, Thanksgiving, New Years, Spring Break, Easter, Memorial Day, President's Day, Halloween Time, but in September, January, and February you should be fine.
    Why do you need a band when the ap on your phone changes the reservations?

Why do we need armbands when the ap changes reservations? I have a phone.

• former CM

Well this thread makes me think that MagicBands will be a big hit!
    Perhaps Disney will now introduce MagicBands 2.0 more quickly than they had planned:
    10 MagicBand 2.0 Features!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I just finished a partial tryout of the Magic Band. I say partial because I have a Premier pass (annual pass for both WDW and DL), and they don't know how to add it into the MDE account. They told me ahead of my trip that they'd be able to do it at the resort, but the resort didn't have a clue other than to say that it wasn't possible. Guest Services at my resort was able to book FP+'s for me, and since this was a demo period I found lots of FP+ choices available. Since my gate admission pass wasn't linked to the account, I had to use my Premier card to get into the parks. And I couldn't make any changes to my FP+ selections.

With all of that, I found that it worked pretty much as described. I was able to make purchases with it, which really was nice at the Food & Wine Festival. It also unlocked my door, which was convenient.

And to add insult to injury, less than a week after I got back home I saw that they have now figgered out how to link the Premier pass to the MDE account. Looking forward to doing it again early next year.

In regards to the Premier pass, they can be added to the magic band. I was at WDW at the end of September, but attached it thru the MDX App, my friend had a probelm with her pass, and we got the same answer from the resort as danyoung, but they CM at the counter said guest relations at the park would be able to do it easliy as they have more access, and she was right. The the MK booth they were easily able to add her pass to the bands.

So if you cannot add the pass thru the app, the GR booths at the resorts should be able to assist.

I recently took part in the MagicBand test. I wasn't able to add my AP via the website or the app, so I phoned Customer Service a few nights before my departure. They relayed it to the right folks, who added it manually.

I really liked the MagicBand experience. It was nice not having to dig into my pocket to pull out a room key, pass, or credit card. (I missed it when I got home and had to go back to pulling out my keycard to get into my building - I almost want to rip out the RFID tag and stick it on the back of my watch.)

Having said that, my experience with the app was terrible. I mean really really bad. It failed for me repeatedly, and messing with it meant that I occasionally spent quite a while standing off to the side working on it and not enjoying the park.

To make this experience work for everyone, the app needs to be as bare-minimum simple as possible. It (and the website) shouldn't need the latest and greatest technology to get the job done. (I doubt most Disney travelers are the kinds of folks who upgrade their phone every year.) Right now, both the app and the website feel like they're 80% design and 20% function, and it really should be the other way around. I'd rather see a super-basic (but attractive) mobile site with basic html / checkboxes / easy links / etc. than something as cumbersome as what they have now.

For anyone trying it out in the coming weeks - Disney would almost certainly prefer that you use MDX (et al) for good and bad and report it all back to them. But if you're more concerned about the possibility about the trip going as perfectly as possible, I'd suggest the following:

1) Pick all of your FastPass+ selections while you're at home working on a desktop, and plan to adhere to that schedule. If you want to try to change a selection, certainly try, but it may end up being easier to just go grab a regular FastPass if something comes up.

2) Write down all of your selections onto a piece of paper as a backup. It's probably the one thing I was most frustrated about with the app (when it didn't work) - I realized I couldn't remember when my Experiences were scheduled, and ended up missing one as a result. (With a regular FastPass, you have the hard copy right there with the time on it.)

Another thing to keep in mind when scheduling FastPass+ - some non-FastPass rides have FastPass+. (Spaceship Earth, for example.) Since regular FastPasses are still available, it might be worth choosing one of those if you're having trouble figuring out a third FastPass+ selection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12