Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• The one, the only...

Animal Kingdom needs a Skyway

I remember when Disneyland had a skyway. It was wonderful as a kid being able to look down at all the people below. I know the reason for it being removed. I know that WDW also had one. I believe that with modern engineering, it could be modified to accomdate wheelchairs.

The Animal Kingdom needs a skyway so that guests can experience the animals high above. I believe that this would give the guests a different view and experience of the animals. Also it would not disturb the animals. It could connect the two most remote parts of the park, from say Everest to the Safari tour. The buckets could be themed so that it would fit the park. It would provide another interesting way to move people around there.

I know that they will be opposition to this idea, but I believe that this is a relatively inexpensive attraction that would pay off in loads of fun.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Classic Animation

Re: Animal Kingdom needs a Skyway

The skyway was a very nice feature of the San Diago zoo.

• Disney Memory Maker

I don't think they ever will put back in a skyway (anywhere) because it is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

San Diego's Wild Animal Park is investing heavily in new viewing transportation, among other things. They are getting a brand new monorail soon = possibly this year. There is also talk of a ballon ride that would take guests for a trek over the animal range.

So, yes...Disney's Animal Kingdom needs both visual motion and transportation. Your sky tram idea, JCF, would be excellent.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Not sure how'd you theme it. And since it was in the San Diego Zoo, it really doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom...

• Having a Grand Day!

And how do you propose to hide the butt-ugly support collums? That's my main objection to the Skyway.

• Iron-Clad Allie

You misunderstood, Bill. Animal Kingdom will never buy any ride from the San Diego Zoo. As a matter of fact, nobody has even mentioned the zoo. I brought up the San Diego Wildlife Park (which is owned by the San Diego Zoo). It is a wildlife refuge, just like the part pf Disney's Animal Kingdom that houses live animals.

The San Diego Wildlife Park doesn't have a Skyway. It has a monorail, and is considering using balloon transportation as well. If Disney's Animal Kingdom develops a Skyway, theming it would be easy. It might even take on a generic theme such as the Wildlife Express train ride. If the company creates a Skyway, they could just simply call it Disney's Animal Kingdom Skyway. Then, it could range across each of the lands.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-28-2006 at 02:34 PM.

• The one, the only...

I think it is possible to theme both the supports and the buckets themselves. Remember the old Tarzan movies which a had modern water carrying system but made of bamboo? The old Swiss Family Robinson tree how did the same idea. You could them the buckets and supports in a Tarzan theme. I think that even climbing into a tree house to enter the ride would be great.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    And how do you propose to hide the butt-ugly support collums? That's my main objection to the Skyway.
    Complaints...complaints. There are a few people who would find the support cullums hidious...certainly not the vast majority. Folks would appreciate the transportation that is suppoted by said collums. Besides, Disney has a clever way of making almost anything blend in with the theming of any givren area.

Disney did not remove the Skyway ride from Fantasyland/Tomorrowland because it was an eyesore. They were removed because management wanted to save a buck - and we know what that mindset led to.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-28-2006 at 02:42 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I think it is possible to theme both the supports and the buckets themselves. Remember the old Tarzan movies which a had modern water carrying system but made of bamboo? The old Swiss Family Robinson tree how did the same idea. You could them the buckets and supports in a Tarzan theme. I think that even climbing into a tree house to enter the ride would be great.
    A Tarzan theme would be an excelelent theming idea JimnyCricketFan - and FUN GALORE! The supports could also be designed to take on the appearance of trees. Pinochio would be proud of you.

• Disney Memory Maker

But how would you get out of the lawsuit issue? That is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) reasons Disney shut down the 2 old skyways. And by lawsuit, I mean anything from a person dropping a camera & hitting a bystander to a person actually falling out.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    But how would you get out of the lawsuit issue? That is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) reasons Disney shut down the 2 old skyways. And by lawsuit, I mean anything from a person dropping a camera & hitting a bystander to a person actually falling out.
    There are two ways to constrain riders and prevent accidents. First is screens and grids. Those would be employed to prevent people or children from climbing through. Second, plexiglas could also be used to allow for unobstructed views. There are always ways.. As to the old skyway, there never was any mechanical problems. There were, I believe, two incidents involving drunks from Grad night that wanted to rock the buckets or jump. As I said, screens and plexiglas can solve that problem.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I've heard two different conflicting stories as to why the skyway was removed. The first had to do with the cost factor of maintaining them. The second hinged on the fear of lawsuits with respect to people falling, or objects being dropped and hitting people. I believe spitting at guests below was a favorite pastime among the unruly.

Not sure about the Magic Kingdom, but dDsneyland kept close watch on the Skyway, and anyone that behaved in an unsafe or mean fasion was read the riot act, and some troublemakers were even kicked out of the park.

As to the issue of further safeguards against inappropriate activity, they seem to have few if any problems with people riding the lift at Typhoon Lagoon. Nevertheless, Disney would need to create a harness system that would not allow for guests to stand up and lean over the side.

WDW certainly has few behavioural problems with it's Tomorrowland Transit authority, and there were few conduct problems with Disneyland's PeopleMover/RocketRods. DL may even get a new ride for it's PM tracks at some point in te near future. So, public safety concerns are not large enough to warrant not buuilding an Animal Kingdom Skyway.

If Disney were that paranoid, they could always use enclosed cages.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-28-2006 at 03:34 PM.

• Banned User

if AK were to have transportation, where would you put it? a skyride would ruin the theming from land to land, monorail as well, they have a steam train for conservation station, so thats out of the picture... they tried boat, but people disliked it... I cannot think of anything...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    if AK were to have transportation, where would you put it? a skyride would ruin the theming from land to land, monorail as well, they have a steam train for conservation station, so thats out of the picture... they tried boat, but people disliked it... I cannot think of anything...
    People could not take in a beuatiful overview of AK from the boats as they would with a skyway, monorail or PeopleMover. Plus, the boatride was designed nondescript, rather than story, animatronic and special scene oriented like the Jungle Cruise. If JC were as boring, it would die a quick and painful death too. There were one or two entertaining scenes on the DK boat ride - but 99% of the venture was dead.

Rustic looking Tarzan buckets, as described by JCF, would work well throughout the park. Supports designed to look like trees would also work anywhere. As to where the ride would transport a persom. I'd like to see a mode of sky transportation throughout the park. But, it would work anywhere.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast