Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 191
  1. #136

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    If just anything with animals or creatures in it fits, then what truly distinguishes the park? That is part of Walt Disney World's problem, everything is just becoming a replication of the same thing, some branded attractions being built without consideration to the larger goals of the park. Editing is a big part of storytelling and not everything should fit.
    This is why Hollywood Studios has such a big problem. If every park exists to be a place for attractions based on movies, what is unique about the movie park? The problem exists in the other parks, but it is certainly worst there. The parks need their own identity. If they are all generic Disney Parks(tm) People will start to develop the mentality that if you've seen one you've seen them all and just visit their favorite one and skip the others.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  2. #137

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,148

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think some of the worlds of Star Wars could fit into Animal Kingdom, if you go with the premise that Avatar belongs there. Disney's original 101 Dalmatians made more at the domestic box office, when you adjust for inflation, than Avatar did in this country. Not saying that 101 Dalmatians should be put in Animal Kingdom, but a lot of Avatar's success was that it was one of the first CGI/3-D films.

    All Time Box Office Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

    Remember when the first Matrix film came out? People were raving about the special effects? Now Matrix is parodied, and the second and third films weren't artistically there.

    What about Alice in Wonderland? Burton's version did great box office, and Disney had done their own film, and Disney is coming out with a sequel. Alice will make more for Disney box office wise than Avatar as Disney doesn't own Avatar, and Avatar isn't a successful franchise yet as only one hit film has been made.

    I think Bob Iger figured that he'd go with a big box office hit and turn it into a land, but some box office hits might not work well in a theme park, such as Titanic. If Titanic is such a big film, why don't people want a Titanic land with Titanic walk around characters? Life of Pi was visually stunning, but don't expect to see it in a theme park anytime soon. Just because a film did great box office doesn't mean it will work as a theme park attraction/land, IMHO.

    Last time Disney did a "bioluminescent jungle/Fern Gully" type world it was for the Light Magic parade at Disneyland, and that didn't work out too well.

    Attachment 33235
    Ah, yes, the infamous Light Magic. But don'forget, Universal Studios (on BOTH coasts) was the FIRST to take us to a Bio-luminescent planet with other unearthly creatures on a suspended bike ride above earth and through the galaxy, with the ET attraction.

    [IMG][/IMG]


    Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Joe always has his 'signature' earring, it's not just an affectation for the sake of the Avatar project - had it since the opening of Animal Kingdom when he started showing up in publicity material more, and likely for years before that.
    hahahaha, would that make Joe the "Captain Jack Sparrow" of Imagineering?
    Last edited by Aladdin; 10-14-2013 at 10:00 PM.

  3. #138

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The concept art looks pretty, but it still has no place in the Animal Kingdom.

    Aliens aren't animals. They might be, but since we haven't had any need to classify extraterrestrial life, we don't know if they would be classified using the same taxonomy groups as life on Earth. The fact that all life forms on Pandora are literally connected through that weird bio-internet thing a new structure for classification would seem prudent.
    Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park Kingdom Animalia

    Name:  rsz_animalkingdom-logo.png
Views: 171
Size:  87.9 KB

  4. #139

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,829

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by WDWorldly View Post
    Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park Kingdom Animalia

    Name:  rsz_animalkingdom-logo.png
Views: 171
Size:  87.9 KB

    People argue that dragons are ok since they are referred to in old stories in different cultures. So essentially those made up creatures are ok versus James Cameron's made up creatures in his stories. I wonder what the excuse would be if there was a Pandora version of a dragon.

  5. #140

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,261
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    People argue that dragons are ok since they are referred to in old stories in different cultures. So essentially those made up creatures are ok versus James Cameron's made up creatures in his stories. I wonder what the excuse would be if there was a Pandora version of a dragon.
    It is not just that the stories are old. It has to do with how we related to those stories and their creatures, see the Yeti Museum.

  6. #141

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,829

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    It is not just that the stories are old. It has to do with how we related to those stories and their creatures, see the Yeti Museum.
    So all we need is a Pandora mueseum and a little age and then we are good? To me realy there isn't a difference. But again I am for this project and have been so of course I feel that way. I really believe this land fits into DAK and I think it will be a awesome experience.

  7. #142

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    I can see a difference. Any child can draw a "unicorn" or a "dragon" but if you ask just about anybody to draw an animal from Avatar, they'll need reference materials, probably won't do it from memory. And are we going to include profiles of Avatar characters under the Tree of Life because they're essentially becoming a sphere of the park's iconography.

  8. #143

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,829

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I can see a difference. Any child can draw a "unicorn" or a "dragon" but if you ask just about anybody to draw an animal from Avatar, they'll need reference materials, probably won't do it from memory. And are we going to include profiles of Avatar characters under the Tree of Life because they're essentially becoming a sphere of the park's iconography.
    Wouldn't the same child need a reference to the imaginary dragon or unicorn though. Without seeing one in a book or on tv I would need reference to these imagined creatures.

  9. #144

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,261
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    So all we need is a Pandora mueseum and a little age and then we are good? To me realy there isn't a difference. But again I am for this project and have been so of course I feel that way. I really believe this land fits into DAK and I think it will be a awesome experience.
    What culture considered Pandora to be a very real part of their interactions with their world?

  10. #145

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Wouldn't the same child need a reference to the imaginary dragon or unicorn though. Without seeing one in a book or on tv I would need reference to these imagined creatures.
    The point is, there's no right or wrong way to draw a unicorn or dragon.

    They can be fat or skinny or whatever color you want them to be.

    Avatar presents very specific characters from a single movie that were especially created for that story. They're not icons.

  11. #146

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    What culture considered Pandora to be a very real part of their interactions with their world?
    The fan culture that developed after the movie hit the big screen?


  12. #147

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,829

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    What culture considered Pandora to be a very real part of their interactions with their world?
    You're right no where but don't all stories start somewhere and then get re-told?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    The point is, there's no right or wrong way to draw a unicorn or dragon.

    They can be fat or skinny or whatever color you want them to be.

    Avatar presents very specific characters from a single movie that were especially created for that story. They're not icons.
    There is no right or wrong IMO of what imginary animals belong in DAK Dragons, Unicorns, or Banshees

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    The fan culture that developed after the movie hit the big screen?


    No matter how many ways people try to discredit the box office success worldwide there is obviously a fanbase. At Comic Con this year there were still plenty of Na'Vi running around. is it more than Star Wars no way but it's just the start IMO.

  13. #148

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,261
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    You're right no where but don't all stories start somewhere and then get re-told?
    Retelling is not the point. It is about how and why those stories were used. Despite never existing, yetis and dragons are/were a real part of life. That integration with culture and life has nothing to do with being old or being retold or box office.

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    There is no right or wrong IMO of what imginary animals belong in DAK Dragons, Unicorns, or Banshees
    Then what makes the park distinct? Captain EO features a crew of aliens, would it fit inside the Tree of Life? He brings a message of hope for the future and that's a significant component of conservations, because we can change the world. Star Wars has lots of creatures. Monstropolis would be full of imaginary creatures as well as having a parallel with their energy issues. Smurfs are animals and right now as I type this the page has a "Experience the Wonders of the Forest!" ad with Papa Smurf and Smurfette. How about Frozen and its ice creatures?

  14. #149

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,829

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Retelling is not the point. It is about how and why those stories were used. Despite never existing, yetis and dragons are/were a real part of life. That integration with culture and life has nothing to do with being old or being retold or box office.


    Then what makes the park distinct? Captain EO features a crew of aliens, would it fit inside the Tree of Life? He brings a message of hope for the future and that's a significant component of conservations, because we can change the world. Star Wars has lots of creatures. Monstropolis would be full of imaginary creatures as well as having a parallel with their energy issues. Smurfs are animals and right now as I type this the page has a "Experience the Wonders of the Forest!" ad with Papa Smurf and Smurfette. How about Frozen and its ice creatures?


    Well i don't know what to tell you but to me all the parks offer unique experiences. They are all imagined IMO. To me an obviously Disney the way the Na'Vi connect with nature and their planet coincides with how we do.

    When i watch Avatar I can see this conenction and out of all the Disney parks it only makes sense in DAK and will hopefully be unique to just DAK. Pandora thematically fits into DAK way better than any of the mentioned above franchises. From Star Wars you could pick out different planents from the universe but do their races cherish their planets like the Na'Vi do? Maybe the Wookiees which I would be all for as well. Anyone have objections to Kashyyyk being built in DAK?

  15. #150

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,899

    Re: Avatar Land First Look

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Retelling is not the point. It is about how and why those stories were used. Despite never existing, yetis and dragons are/were a real part of life. That integration with culture and life has nothing to do with being old or being retold or box office.


    Then what makes the park distinct? Captain EO features a crew of aliens, would it fit inside the Tree of Life? He brings a message of hope for the future and that's a significant component of conservations, because we can change the world. Star Wars has lots of creatures. Monstropolis would be full of imaginary creatures as well as having a parallel with their energy issues. Smurfs are animals and right now as I type this the page has a "Experience the Wonders of the Forest!" ad with Papa Smurf and Smurfette. How about Frozen and its ice creatures?
    Yep. For Avatarland to exist in DAK, Disney will have to completely discard the common thematic element that binds DAK together, namely, that the real and mythical animals are all of the Earth -- be it the natural world or the imaginings of humans (who are also of the natural world).

    Which, of course, they'll have no trouble discarding. This is Disney Parks, where when money talks, theme walks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Denver Will Get First Look At "Little Mermaid" The Musical
    By desertdweller in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 02:11 PM
  2. It's here! A first look at Ratatouille...but in French
    By DisneyMickey in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 03:53 PM
  3. 05/20/06 First Look: The Lightyear Blimp
    By Chuck Oberleitner in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 07:46 AM
  4. 'POTC: DMC' first look - ETonline.com 5/1/06
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 06:48 PM
  5. First look INSIDE The Land
    By General Grizz in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 10:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •