Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Re: Avatar Land First Look

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    I gather that they didn't show that at OUR D23 Expo in Anaheim because there would be very little else to show at the Expo in Japan?

If they were going to show that much in Japan, they COULD have provided at least a LITTLE more in Anaheim.
    Anaheim got the "teaser", like a movie teaser.

Japan got the "trailer", like a movie trailer.

Somewhere down the line, we'll get a "preview" with tons more info.

I am excited!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I have known of a lot of these plans for months, as I just worked at Disneyworld this summer on my ICP. I was sworn to secrecy, but since the cats out of the bag... This is really what's going on:

With AVATAR coming to DAK, they knew they would have to extend the park to be open in the evening, but with most experiences ending early, they had to figure out what else they could do to keep the park open late, so guests have more then just AVATAR to see and do. Thus, they created a new night time show. But the biggest, and most exciting news I think, is the NIGHT TIME SAFARI! Imagineers have been at work, creating a way to light the entire Safari as if it was natural moonlight, and so when Safari ends its day run, there will be a switch over... Some animals will be removed, where as some will be added. Creating a completely different night experience.

You should all be excited about what AVATAR is bringing to DAK, and I'm glad I can really talk about it now.
    Oh, I knew you had the scoop! I knew you'd share it when you could!

I hope you give us some more of your insights. Here is what I am most curious about:

* How many attractions will Avatar have? Will it be a Soarin with Banshees, a boat ride, and some kind of walk-through (so three attractions) or just two?

* Will there be a restaurant serving "space food" like you are on another planet?

* how in the heck are they going to get those big mountains to "float"?

I also wonder what kind of animals would come out at night for the safari and how they would get the animals on and off the safari trails and switch them out like that. Sounds complicated and dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    The ride will have to be an indoor attraction a'la Pirates in order to achieve the bioluminescence effect which could only work in a light controlled environment.
    I bet you are right!!! I bet it will be like Pirates...and I wonder if there will be a delicious Pandora restaurant inside the ride, maybe themed to be like the base camp for the expedition to Pandora. Then you can eat and watch the boats go by. I'd love it!!!!

I was as opposed to Avatar as the next guy

...but I gotta admit that floating mountain is pretty darn cool. Sure this isn't beastly Kingdom but I'm over it. For what this it, its very impressive. It fits Animal Kingdom nicely, it will make the park feel more complete as a whole, and add some new attractions. It may be an alien planet, but the model makes it feel right at home in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

I really don't see the issue with a boat ride that at the very least will just look really cool. In fact, I think its refreshing to see Disney go back to a ride system like a boat ride that the whole family can enjoy. The soaring type attraction doesn't sound awful either.

As difficult as it may be, detach your opinions of the movie from this as a theme park experience and I think you'll all find it rather impressive. I just feel its best to be open minded than to be bitter because this is a different direction, but I don't necessarily find it to be a bad one.

And the other additions sound wonderful as well. The new parade on the water will be a huge addition, the nighttime safari has massive potential, and the performers on Discovery Island along with the tree show really add some much needed life to the park. Really like what they are doing with Animal Kingdom as it very much completes the park.

• 11 Year Annual Passholder

Still not enthused about this at all. I really feel they didn't think this one through. In 20 years I doubt Avatar will be a franchise anyone cares much about.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 12.15.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    Avatar themed jungle cruise. Check.
    Rethemed Soaring as Banshee's. Check.
    Tree of Life becomes Bioluminescent. Check.

Somehow it just doesn't seem as impressive as HP land. Always seemed like the weaker of two IPs.
    What a jaded, reductionist angle to take. Any new ride could be described similarly. Cars is just a cartoon Test Track.

And besides that, we know literally nothing about these rides besides what the concept art hints at.

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    Still not enthused about this at all. I really feel they didn't think this one through. In 20 years I doubt Avatar will be a franchise anyone cares much about.
    Kind of like Song of the South. Fact is, if a ride/land's good enough, it can stand on its own two feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Wow... really, people are still trying to say this isn't going to happen or shouldn't happen? I get the opinion of not wanting it but IT IS coming! Just learn to love it and get ready to experience it with the rest of us. And yes this is FAR better than Harry Potter's land area place.
    You're going to make that call based on unrealistic concept art? Nice. Have you even been to "Harry Potter's land area place" yet?

I don't know how good this area will be, but I look forward to seeing it open in 2065.

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    I was as opposed to Avatar as the next guy

...but I gotta admit that floating mountain is pretty darn cool. Sure this isn't beastly Kingdom but I'm over it. For what this it, its very impressive. It fits Animal Kingdom nicely, it will make the park feel more complete as a whole, and add some new attractions. It may be an alien planet, but the model makes it feel right at home in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

I really don't see the issue with a boat ride that at the very least will just look really cool. In fact, I think its refreshing to see Disney go back to a ride system like a boat ride that the whole family can enjoy. The soaring type attraction doesn't sound awful either.

As difficult as it may be, detach your opinions of the movie from this as a theme park experience and I think you'll all find it rather impressive. I just feel its best to be open minded than to be bitter because this is a different direction, but I don't necessarily find it to be a bad one.

And the other additions sound wonderful as well. The new parade on the water will be a huge addition, the nighttime safari has massive potential, and the performers on Discovery Island along with the tree show really add some much needed life to the park. Really like what they are doing with Animal Kingdom as it very much completes the park.
    Rave --

The site WDWNewsToday was reporting yesterday that they heard Disney is acquiring Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit...so if that is true, would you feel like Lord of the Rings in DHS would make up for Beastly Kingdom never getting built?

Seems like a lot of the Beastly Kingdom stuff could be built with Lord of the Rings.

In my opinion, DAK could use a Hercules inspired area...where the animals of Greek myth could be housed. And in DHS they could do the Lord of the Rings mythical animals.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    Rave --

The site WDWNewsToday was reporting yesterday that they heard Disney is acquiring Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit...so if that is true, would you feel like Lord of the Rings in DHS would make up for Beastly Kingdom never getting built?

Seems like a lot of the Beastly Kingdom stuff could be built with Lord of the Rings.

In my opinion, DAK could use a Hercules inspired area...where the animals of Greek myth could be housed. And in DHS they could do the Lord of the Rings mythical animals.
    No. For me, the appeal of Beastly Kingdom was that it made DAK feel like a complete park. I think a Lord of the Rings/Beastly Kingdom land in DHS would feel out of place and not work even if it built as originally intended for DAK.

DHS' solution should be different than DAK's, EPCOT's, etc.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

LOTR, Hobbit and Harry Potter are all Warner IPs.

Theoretically, they're independent but Universal and Warner teamed on Wizarding Worlds around the globe and I wonder if partnering with Disney presents a conflict of interest.

Disney may have to generate their own hit live action movies or keep buying up the companies that do. Or Imagineer a good mythos as they once knew how to do just for park attractions.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    Avatar themed jungle cruise. Check.
    Rethemed Soaring as Banshee's. Check.
    Tree of Life becomes Bioluminescent. Check.
    Bingo. For the brand marketeers in charge of Disney Parks, it's a marriage made in heaven -- a predictable, paint-by-numbers derivation of tentpole scenes from a predictable, derivative film.

Still to be seen is how the Bob & Tom Show is going to explain to the Board of Directors why they're spending megabucks to lease a franchise (the sole film of which failed to produce any memorable characters, merchandise or music), when they already spent billions to buy and own Star Wars.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I do not know specific details. I just knew of the additions because of AVATAR LAND.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo. For the brand marketeers in charge of Disney Parks, it's a marriage made in heaven -- a predictable, paint-by-numbers derivation of tentpole scenes from a predictable, derivative film.

Still to be seen is how the Bob & Tom Show is going to explain to the Board of Directors why they're spending megabucks to lease a franchise (the sole film of which failed to produce any memorable characters, merchandise or music), when they already spent billions to buy and own Star Wars.
    I think I have seen Avatar three times now: once in theaters in 3D, once on my phone when I bought a Samsung Galaxy and that movie was on my phone and I watched it on a car trip once, and then once at my sister's house when she put it on for my sons and her family.

I can tell you the following names I remember:

* the planet is Pandora and the metal they are looking for is called unobtainium
    * Sigourney Weaver played a woman named Grace (that is my sister's name)
    * I don't remember the main character's name or the name of the actor who played him
    * The blue cat people were called Navi...like Navejo Indians
    * the main blue cat person had a name, but I don't remember it
    * the Tree of Life was in Avatar
    * the big lizard-birds they rode were called banshees

I really sat here for a few minutes thinking on this. This is all I could remember in terms of names of things in this movie.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by red barchetta View Post
    Kind of like Song of the South. Fact is, if a ride/land's good enough, it can stand on its own two feet.
    The only difference being that Splash Mountain was not initially created to advertise The Song of the South characters or sell merchandise for that film. The idea for the log flume ride came first. The addition of Brer Rabbit and friends was the afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Disney seems to spending more money buying up rights to theme park ideas than they are actually getting these things built and that's what really scares me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    The only difference being that Splash Mountain was not initially created to advertise The Song of the South characters or sell merchandise for that film. The idea for the log flume ride came first. The addition of Brer Rabbit and friends was the afterthought.
    That shouldn't matter to the end-product.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast