Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Avatar Land First Look

Wow Disney finally release the much desired concept art and people still see fit to complain. Fortunately the few on here make up a small number compared to the millions more that will visit WDW once this project is officially opened.

Still to be seen is how the Bob & Tom Show is going to explain to the Board of Directors why they're spending megabucks to lease a franchise (the sole film of which failed to produce any memorable characters, merchandise or music), when they already spent billions to buy and own Star Wars.
    Why would Bob or Tom have to explain this to the Board. The Board obviously were the ones who agreed to the Avatar project quite some time a go before then agreeing to buy Star Wars. Do you think something like Avatar would not require approval? Besides in the case of Star Wars, Disney have other ways of making a return investment that doesn't include expensive Theme Park projects. And the Star Wars projects for the Parks will be coming... We have been asured.

Somehow it just doesn't seem as impressive as HP land. Always seemed like the weaker of two IPs.
    So a brand new concept for Disney's Animal Kingdom does not sound as impressive as what is an expansion of what Universal already has at Islands of Adventure. One's a new Park concept the other one is more of the same.

Again kind of dismissing what is actually coming. This Boat Ride I expect will be similar to the new boat ride being built inside the Castle at Shanghai Disneyland. Sneak Peek: Enchanted Storybook Castle at Shanghai Disneyland « Disney Parks Blog

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Looks very interesting...I think it looks pretty good, but I will have to see how many attractions are included with this land, at least one more would be good to open this land to the public...

The other problem I can see is the Pandora tree of life being compared to the "weenie" of the park the actual tree of life...Other than that the concept art and that looks pretty cool...Figured I'd give a couple of gripes, the floating mountains look AMAZING though.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• 2 shots on the rocks.

A whole land based on how horrible human beings are? Yay.

I'm as opposed to Avatar in the parks as anyone, but there is a bright side to this. In reality, HP land only had one new thing. There were 2 rethemed rides that didnt actually change from when they were first built, and loads of shops. Avatar seems to sport 2 rethemed rides and loads of shops. The big difference is that HP had a brand new, revolutionary E ticket, as opposed to Avatar land banking on old ride systems giving them a new E ticket.

I think it will but into DCA not Disneyland

I think it looks like a good fit for DAK, maybe not beastly Kingdom but better than camp Minnie mickey so a positive improvement.

I don't mind the use of IP but the land has to stand alone as an an environment to work and appeal to people who haven't seen the movie. How many people realise Adventureland was based on Walt's nature films? Probably not many today but it doesn't spoil their enjoyment riding Jungle Cruise? On the other hand something like voyage of the little mermaid at DHS or Peter Pans Flight makes no sense at all if you haven't seen the movie

If Avatarland can give us an otherworldly environment with a subtle ecology message it will be a success, if it relies on having seen the movie then it will date fairly rapidly. Will be interesting to see what we end up with

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    Looks very interesting...I think it looks pretty good, but I will have to see how many attractions are included with this land, at least one more would be good to open this land to the public...

The other problem I can see is the Pandora tree of life being compared to the "weenie" of the park the actual tree of life...Other than that the concept art and that looks pretty cool...Figured I'd give a couple of gripes, the floating mountains look AMAZING though.

There isn't a Pandora tree of life. The tree with all the lights is concept art for the new nighttime spectacular.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    I think I have seen Avatar three times now: once in theaters in 3D, once on my phone when I bought a Samsung Galaxy and that movie was on my phone and I watched it on a car trip once, and then once at my sister's house when she put it on for my sons and her family.

I can tell you the following names I remember:

* the planet is Pandora and the metal they are looking for is called unobtainium
    * Sigourney Weaver played a woman named Grace (that is my sister's name)
    * I don't remember the main character's name or the name of the actor who played him
    * The blue cat people were called Navi...like Navejo Indians
    * the main blue cat person had a name, but I don't remember it
    * the Tree of Life was in Avatar
    * the big lizard-birds they rode were called banshees

I really sat here for a few minutes thinking on this. This is all I could remember in terms of names of things in this movie.
    I think it is shortsighted of Disney to just go ahead and spend loads of money to produce a land based on a movie that was financially successful, but not memorable. Yes the visuals were stunning. But then I felt the characters were lacking, and I can't seem to remember anything about them.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    How many people realise Adventureland was based on Walt's nature films? Probably not many today but it doesn't spoil their enjoyment riding Jungle Cruise?
    Not to pick nits but in point of historical fact, Adventureland wasn't based on Walt's nature films. It was based on mid-20th century America's romantic fascination with exotic and far-away tropical lands. The Jungle Cruise has one scene, the African Veldt, inspired by one of the studio's "Tru-Life Adventure" featurette series, The African Lion, otherwise it was a Disneyland original (and no, it was not based on The African Queen; Harper Goff's boat designs were from African river steamers of the 1930s).

In contrast, according to this "first look," Avatarland is an entire theme park land with multiple attractions which are completely derived (i.e. duplicated) from tentpole sequences in Avatar.

The founding philosophies of Adventureland and Avatarland are totally different. The former was founded as its own entertainment brand, while the latter is a marketing platform for an existing franchise brand (such as it is) that Disney is licensing from its creator and owner, James Cameron.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

You MiceChatters are a bunch of grumpy *****.

The only thing that would make the majority of you happy is if Zombie Walt was raised from the dead and took over operations of the company.

Avatar Land has a ton of potential and I'm thrilled to head out to Florida and check it out when it's finished!
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 10-12-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Wow. If your imagination limits you to seeing a reconfiguration of AK, a Soarin clone and a boat ride, then I am glad you are not on this project!

Rest assured... Disney didn't look at their team of storytellers and world builders and say, "Well, I guess the movie has done everything for you. We don't need you on this project!"

The entire team is made of people who are paid to always think, "can we change something here to make it better?" And that extends to movie licenses.

The budget, tech and imagination at work here could make an incredible land, rides and story based on doing your taxes.

• film975

Why should I get excited about a theme park version of a film that I was never excited about in the first place? It seems odd that Disney releases this concept art over in Japan where the film is much more popular there than here in the States. Avartarland should be built in Tokyo Disneyland if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Usul831 View Post
    You MiceChatters are a bunch of grumpy *****.

The only thing that would make the majority of you happy is if Zombie Walt was raised from the dead and took over operations of the company.

Avatar Land has a ton of potential and I'm thrilled to head out to Florida and check it out when it's finished!
    I don't think name-calling is necessary.

And MiceChat is a wonderful site. It's much more positive than most Disney fan-sites, where it seems Universal fans have taken over and just spend all day saying Disney is terrible and Universal is wonderful. I think a lot of theme park sites are being paid by Universal to do this.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 10-12-2013 at 11:10 PM.

• film975

And another thing, I thought Animal Kingdom was supposed to be about the animals and nature on own planet Earth. Not some far-away fictional one.

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Why should I get excited about a theme park version of a film that I was never excited about in the first place? It seems odd that Disney releases this concept art over in Japan where the film is much more popular there than here in the States. Avartarland should be built in Tokyo Disneyland if that is the case.
    It wouldn't surprise me if some if not all of this is going into Shanghai park. And if that is the case, then not just WDW is footing the bill for R&D. That is always a good thing!
    The Mur

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast