Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Avatar Land First Look

Quote Originally Posted by Usul831 View Post
    You MiceChatters are a bunch of grumpy *****.

The only thing that would make the majority of you happy is if Zombie Walt was raised from the dead and took over operations of the company.

Avatar Land has a ton of potential and I'm thrilled to head out to Florida and check it out when it's finished!
    Agreed--the response to "Avatar" really shows how insufferable the online Disney fan community can be. It follows the same usual pattern -- groupthink goads everyone into having the same banal, cynical opinion (the ink hasn't dried on the Imagineering plans but its a complete disaster), then when evidence arises that clearly demonstrates it might not be as bad as everyone imagined, it becomes "Soarin with banshees" and "Jungle Cruise after dark."

"The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" cost $200 million, partially re-theming an existing land. "Avatar" is a $500 million expansion of Animal Kingdom that today's news shows will also lead to positive changes in the rest of the park, and the concept art looks impressive - maybe it's not so crazy to think it might turn out well?
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 10-12-2013 at 11:11 PM.

• secure all cargo

Other than the kumbayah camp, I think the artwork is pretty impressive.

I'm actually not that enthusiastic about the idea of Pandoraville at AK in the same way I didn't think the idea of Carsland at DCA was a very smart one. But as for Carsland, now that it's actually built I have to admit I thought it was pretty awesome and I can't wait to return there. It hardly matters that I didn't like Cars 2, that's almost besides the point now. Based on my history, despite my reservations, I still may end up really loving Pandora Place, I'm happy to give it a shot.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

•   
    • Minion

Again as I have pointed out before I believe that this concept fits into DAK. Whether people agree with me or Not it's my opinion. The Dedication is

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.

Having said that how can anyone think they are going to bring the story of Avatar only to the park. I think they will create new experiences that will fit into the park. Show us the life balance between beings of the planet and the nature. They won't have mechs walking around shooting at people come on now LOL. I am very biased though as I watch the film a lot I really like it. But now that I have seen concept I really am excited. They are building out a whole land with lots of detail I think it will be amazing. The nighttime aspect of this is even more of a welcome addition to me.

One other thing people have picked apart the attractions because they are based on other attractions. I always shake my head at this. When I go do Disneyland I ride IASW and POTC even though they are essentially the same attraction underneath it all right???? Thy take a ride system and create a different experience with it that's why I go on both attractions.

• Disneyland AP

My only issue with this land is that it's based on such a crappy film. Despite the money it made (and the bizarre Oscar nomination) it was panned for its acting, unoriginal story that ripped off Pocahontas, Atlantis, Ferngully etc) and cliche dialogue. Also, Pandora is not a "mythical" land, it's just fictional. It slightly breaks the theme of the park, which is about nature and life living, extinct and mythical.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LD1984 View Post
    My only issue with this land is that it's based on such a crappy film. Despite the money it made (and the bizarre Oscar nomination) it was panned for its acting, unoriginal story that ripped off Pocahontas, Atlantis, Ferngully etc) and cliche dialogue. Also, Pandora is not a "mythical" land, it's just fictional. It slightly breaks the theme of the park, which is about nature and life living, extinct and mythical.
    or Imagined? And how many movies are really original that don't borrow ideas from others?

I'm completely uninterested in Avatar. Man, I do not want them to build this. That will never change.

That said, a high-capacity boat ride attraction? Really? Shouldn't it be a low-capacity ride that requires you to get a Fastpass before 9:30 in the morning to come back at the end of the night in order to not wait 2-3 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Usul831 View Post
    You MiceChatters are a bunch of grumpy *****.

The only thing that would make the majority of you happy is if Zombie Walt was raised from the dead and took over operations of the company.

Avatar Land has a ton of potential and I'm thrilled to head out to Florida and check it out when it's finished!
    Agree wholeheartedly - Cars wasnt exactly the worlds best movie but loads of people love Carsland (haven't been there myself so can't comment but looks nice in the pics) why shouldn't Avatarland be the same?
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 10-12-2013 at 11:11 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Wow... really, people are still trying to say this isn't going to happen or shouldn't happen? I get the opinion of not wanting it but IT IS coming! Just learn to love it and get ready to experience it with the rest of us. And yes this is FAR better than Harry Potter's land area place.
    No reason AT ALL to "Just learn to love it" because of the latest Disney marketing dribble. That's similar to what some people said about DCA 1.0 when Disney had a DCA preview tent set up, with several artistic renditions. "Just learn to love DCA, because IT IS coming whether you like it or not." Fortunately the public let its voice be heard about ALL the faults of DCA 1.0. Just the same ALL the faults of Avatar should be heard as well.

AND it is sad that some of Disney's best imagineers are being forced to "fit" Avatar into Animal Kingdom.

And what's curious about the choice of Avatar, is that it is merchandise failure. Merchandise for Avatar was nothing. However the same cannot be said of Cars or Star Wars. Both of those movies proved to be merchandise juggernauts. Disney usually attempts to have merchandise appeal for its new attractions and lands. Avatar FAILS in that regard.

What is smart for Animal Kingdom is to add nighttime appeal to the park. Magic Kingdom has it with fireworks shows and MSEP, DL Anaheim with fireworks and Fantasmic, Epcot with Illuminations, And Hollywood Studios with its version of Fantasmic, DCA has World of Color. Animal Kingdom is the only park without a night show/attraction, the question should be WHY so slow?!?!?! Unfortunately they only decide now, to give it to us, while force feeding Avatar down our throats. BLECHHHH!
    Last edited by Aladdin; 10-12-2013 at 11:35 AM.

• Heavy Breather

People will moan and complain about it now, but see the overwhelming positive raving reviews once it opens. And of course there'll be another argument over the power an IP has over making a good theme park experience.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Disney seems to spending more money buying up rights to theme park ideas than they are actually getting these things built and that's what really scares me.
    I barely remember seeing the movie. No one I know has tsotchkes from the movie displayed about their house. Children don't wear Avatar t-shirts; where are the Angry Birds parodies of Avatar?

This is the kind of idea Imagineers need to come up with on their own. Buying ideas from George Lucas, James Cameron and Stan Lee because one is thinking they're pre-tested in the market is the suits' way out. Maybe they can't recognize real Imagination when they see it in their own Cast Members?

And I don't think the reactions of people here deserve labeling anyone "angry twat." A Zombie Walt on his own wouldn't make it -- we'd need a Zombie Roy as well. Buying someone else's ideas because you have the money to do so rather than encouraging new creativity, as Walt did when he established the school for film study and brought fawns to the studio for his artists to sketch, is the dull man's way out. Disney's great animated stories were often based on others' ideas: Snow White, Cinderella, Bambi, The Little Mermaid.

This reminds me of Pooh. The Disneyfied version of Pooh is as recognizable as Pooh as the original. Twenty years from now James Cameron and George Lucas will be names from the past, like Alfred Hitchcock or Frank Capra. Avatar, Marvel and Star Wars will live on through Disney. The creativity of Cameron, Lucas and Lee will live on...like Milne or Felix Salten or Carlos Collodi...Disney-style.

I remember finding Disney in the stock market pages my father read back in 1963 when I was eight and trying to figure out why that was his favorite part of the newspaper. Golly gee, I wish I'd invested!
    Last edited by DobbysCloset; 10-12-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

I'm not a big fan of Avitar and pretty darn unenthusiastic about this project, but judging from the concept art, the ride looks like it's going to be pretty amazing.

That's all I'm going to say right now.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

MOD NOTE

Folks, we understand that discussions can become heated and there's nothing wrong with that, in itself. However a discussion may develop, it's always important to respect everyone else's opinion. No one's opinion is wrong; we are all entitled to our own thoughts and opinions.

When things start becoming more about the posters rather than the posts, and a shutting down of others and/or name calling start coming into the thread, then those posts have crossed the line. It's disrespectful and shuts down healthy discussion. We are all entitled to agree or disagree, but rather than tell the other person that they are "wrong" show them with examples of why you may not agree and calmly and peacefully share your view on matters. This way there may be an exchanging of ideas, rather than blows. Also, purposefully posting something that you know will upset one or more members (aka 'Trolling') is NEVER allowed. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. If a particular member gets under your skin, add them to your "Ignore" list and you'll never see another of their posts again. If you need help figuring out how to do this, contact me or any other Mod via PM and we'd be happy to help you.

It is on the basis of these facts that we are stepping in to help things settle down. If anyone continues to attack other members or to "stir the pot", as it were, those posts will be removed. Or, if the entire thread goes too far out-of-bounds then we will be forced to close the thread entirely. We really do not want things to have to develop to that point (really- we don't!), but we will address the situation appropriately if need be. Please take this reminder to heart and work towards having an open, friendly, and fun discussion.

The MiceChat Moderating Team

From our FAQ:
    Quote Originally Posted by What is a 'Personal Attack', and what about 'Attacking' other members?
    What is an attack exactly? We have all heard the term before. On a message board, an attack is when another member posts a message that clearly & directly is to threaten, defame, insult or make a mockery of another for whatever reason that poster felt compelled to do so (EX: "You are full of crap you liar!", "You are a complete idiot", etc). These boards are for discussions. There will always be differing opinions. You can disagree but be civil and do not spread hate around.

Attack the message rather than the messenger. Posts, including comments, may be discussed, as long as it is NOT attacking and individual member directly.

Allowable: "I disagree with that statement."

Not allowable: "You're an idiot for saying that."

Quote Originally Posted by What's the policy regarding 'Trolling'?
    So you want to irritate another board member by posting a message or image that will upset them on purpose?
    Well then, you must be living under a bridge cause you're a troll. A 'troll' is the term used for an individual who post messages to delibrately upset others. There's a secondary type known as the 'sympathy troll'. This type of trolling differs from the other cause a ' sympathy troll ' posts for the sole purprose of getting kind affections by sending false messages to others (usually by faking an illness or a type of disability/disadvantage). Whichever form it may take, trolling is not welcome at MiceChat and should be reported and negative repped. Sometimes members do not intend to troll but undirectly rub another the wrong way or 'push your buttons'. If you feel someone is getting under your skin use the "Ignore" feature in your user control panel. By using this feature you can ignore certain individuals who upset you & continue enjoying MiceChat peacefully & calmly.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

It's ironic that everyone's criticizing Avatar using the same calculating corporate thinking (it doesn't sell merchandise) they cite when complaining about how there's too many rides based on movie franchises and not enough original attractions. Theme parks are competing against each other, spending millions of dollars to entertain the consumer, and theme park expansions aren't all about merchandise sales. They're adding an immersive, detailed new land to Animal Kingdom-if they don't sell enough Nav'i ears, it's not really going to be a problem for everyday visitors.
    Last edited by WDWorldly; 10-12-2013 at 02:21 PM.

• Observer

So is the whole land gonna be indoors?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I have known of a lot of these plans for months, as I just worked at Disneyworld this summer on my ICP. I was sworn to secrecy, but since the cats out of the bag... This is really what's going on:

With AVATAR coming to DAK, they knew they would have to extend the park to be open in the evening, but with most experiences ending early, they had to figure out what else they could do to keep the park open late, so guests have more then just AVATAR to see and do. Thus, they created a new night time show. But the biggest, and most exciting news I think, is the NIGHT TIME SAFARI! Imagineers have been at work, creating a way to light the entire Safari as if it was natural moonlight, and so when Safari ends its day run, there will be a switch over... Some animals will be removed, where as some will be added. Creating a completely different night experience.

You should all be excited about what AVATAR is bringing to DAK, and I'm glad I can really talk about it now.
    Wouldn't be that hard to light up the Sarfari with LED technology, a mixture of blue and white light. ;-)

I'm not at all excited about Avatarland, maybe because it is kinda a made-up place in Animal Kingdom, without any historical kernel. Expedition Everest is cool because of all of the seemingly accurate historical/cultural theming . . . you feel like you're exploring another country outside of the U.S.. Avatarland has a lot of glowy things and looks almost visually cluttered, a sort of blend between a Main Street Electrical land and Fern Gully.

Avatar was a good movie, but it's not like people are walking around quoting Avatar anymore, like folks do with Star Wars and even the original Wizard of Oz. And Avatar ain't Disney.

Even though the concept art looks presentable, the reality of what is built is sometimes less so. The last time the concept art equalled reality was Potterland, IMHO, and the emotional connection to the world of Harry Potter is much stronger, IMHO, than Avatar, at least I can say for certain that's how I feel.

Kids lined up overnight with Potter glasses waiting for the books . . . these kids are perhaps young adults now, so Potter will have a fan base for a while, I'm not so sure that kids would necessarily enjoy Avatarland. I'm figuring they'll have blue people on stilts walking around, might scare some little kids, but I can't remember the name of the protag from the film, or much about the characters.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 10-12-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast