Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Re: Avatar Land First Look

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    Sea World has nothing to do with Disney. So no point in being negative towards the concept art.
    I really doubt they'd go cheap with this. If they do it right, as well with the movies coming out at the same time, this can be really amazing.

I will say if what's built is far off from the concept, I will be disappointed. But I don't have enough information to be negative about the project, what's shown so far looks awesome.
    My point is what's shown so far is likely misleading.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    The mythological characters part of the park has been with it since the planning phase of this park. This is why we have a Unicorn parking lot and a dragon in the logo.
    Since when did Avatar become a piece of mythology? The unicorn and dragon were to be celebrated like the yeti, as a very real part of how we have understood and connected with our world.

I think this is Disney wining and dining James Cameron to get him to make his next franchise with them. This was announced back in 2011 and concept art is just hitting now. I doubt it gets built.

James here is some money to fund your new Avatar movies pretend to make an attraction and film your next block buster with the rat.

A giant ice berg with the Titanic and a deep sea sub ride would be better James Cameron IP then this. It reminds me of the Spencer store at the mall. I thought neon and black lights went out with the 1990s

I gather that they didn't show that at OUR D23 Expo in Anaheim because there would be very little else to show at the Expo in Japan?
    I'm guessing that they are attempting to sell the ride tech behind at least one of the rides to the Oriental Land Company for use in Tokyo Disney Resort.

This Boat Ride I expect will be similar to the new boat ride being built inside the Castle at Shanghai Disneyland. Sneak Peek: Enchanted Storybook Castle at Shanghai Disneyland « Disney Parks Blog
    I totally agree: they are probably the same ride systems with different thematic elements dressing up the building and the rides themselves. Looking at the model, it kind of looks as if Floating Mountain Mountain is Shanghai Disneyland's Castle in different drag.

I wonder if the banshee ride will be the Hong Kong Iron Man simulator experience in different clothing as well. (I hate direct clones, so I prefer brand imagineering over attraction copies any day of the week.)

It also makes sense from a business perspective to monetize their investment in the tech and materials across as many theme park properties as they can.

I think it is shortsighted of Disney to just go ahead and spend loads of money to produce a land based on a movie that was financially successful, but not memorable. Yes the visuals were stunning. But then I felt the characters were lacking, and I can't seem to remember anything about them.
    I personally thought it was an adult retelling of the Smurfs, with humanity as Gargamel, and the blue people as the Smurfs. Having said that, the movie is the most profitable of all time, the director has an amazing track record, so his sequel(s) may very well build up the Avatar-verse. I don't think it was short-sighted of Disney at all to partner with James Cameron, nor is it out of the Iger playbook to partner or absorb creative talent and leadership in the industry.

For an anecdotal counterpoint (not that anecdotes are evidence,) I'm one of the few people who really don't like the Harry Potter movies or books. I've seen them, as my peeps are into the franchise, but I'm just not really into Harry and his Amazing Friends, any more than my friends are into Spidey and the Hulk. It doesn't remotely detract from the utter spectacle that is Harry Potter World at IOA for me and nor does not liking Spidey and the Hulk detract from those killer rides. If it's a good theme park experience, who cares?

Unfortunately they only decide now, to give it to us, while force feeding Avatar down our throats. BLECHHHH!
    The beauty of capitalism is choice: you don't want to "eat" Avatar, don't go to "Animal Kingdom." It's not the Aquarium in Pyongyang.

Disney typically invests in things that have stickiness in terms of IP. That isn't to say that it couldn't be amazing, or fantastic, just that Avatar doesn't lend itself to the typical IP traits that has created successful brands.
    I agree, today. But I also think this was about James Cameron, and getting his energy and creativity aligned with the Disney company. Which is to say that I think this IP acquisition is only partially about Avatar itself, and partially about Cameron himself.

My opinion on the land: it looks like really interesting concept art, and that it's probably a re-theme of some of the new attractions they're building for either Shanghai or Hong Kong. I'm looking forward to it, and for DAK to FINALLY be more than a half-day park. FINALLY.

My opinion on the night safari and tree show: heck, yes! Bring it on!

My opinion on the haterz: gonna hate.

•   
    • Minion

^ couldn't agree more excellent post!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by solarnole View Post
    I think this is Disney wining and dining James Cameron to get him to make his next franchise with them. This was announced back in 2011 and concept art is just hitting now. I doubt it gets built.
    At the speed James Cameron makes movies that seems to make little sense. How long again did Avatar take to make? James Cameron will either be dead or retired by the time his Avatar series is completed for Fox. I think we are to long into the process for Avatar not to be built now considering how public Disney has been with insisting its still coming to Animal Kingdom. Plus the changes already being made to support Avatar. Lion King theatre is very much in the building phase at Africa.

• Creative Director

I have never even seen Avatar... and this looks INCREDIBLE to me.

Truly. If this was just a concept, not attached to any film, this based on the concept art alone would make me want to take a trip to WDW.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    I have never even seen Avatar... and this looks INCREDIBLE to me.

Truly. If this was just a concept, not attached to any film, this based on the concept art alone would make me want to take a trip to WDW.
    True Dat! This is a perfect way to see this project. Had this been an original concept I think the public would have viewed it much differently. Now that it part of a film franchise, created by James, bought and paid for by Disney, people just really need to see the potential rather than the destruction of a man's vision and creation.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    At the speed James Cameron makes movies that seems to make little sense. How long again did Avatar take to make? James Cameron will either be dead or retired by the time his Avatar series is completed for Fox.
    This strikes me as kind of morbid, to talk about when someone will be "dead or retired"...but James Cameron just completed a dive down to the bottom of the ocean in an experimental submarine. He's hardly geriatric.

The man is 59 years old and he owns his own company, so he's not "retiring" from anything. He's probably going to be around for 20 more years, at least, considering the age expectancy for a man like him today.

I highly doubt he will be "dead or retired" by the time Avatar Land is constructed at DAK.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    True Dat! This is a perfect way to see this project. Had this been an original concept I think the public would have viewed it much differently. Now that it part of a film franchise, created by James, bought and paid for by Disney, people just really need to see the potential rather than the destruction of a man's vision and creation.
    I love this attitude and agree 100%. I also think it helps to remember how people felt about Indiana Jones going into Disneyland.

I have only been to Disneyland a handful of times since I live in Illinois and consider WDW my "home park", but I have a lot of friends in California. They still talk about being horrified by Indiana Jones coming into Adventureland there, because Indiana Jones was not a classic Disney movie...so he felt incongruous to them.

I had no big emotional attachment to Disneyland and had never visited the park before Indiana Jones was there. I love the Indy movies, though. I know they are Paramount movies because the Paramount mountain is always in the first shots of the films. But I love the Indy ride in Disneyland and think it works really well where it is near the Jungle Cruise.

My sons are young and have no clue what is and what is not "a Disney movie" but they just think the Indy ride is the greatest thing ever. You will laugh, but my younger son loves the queue more than the ride itself. He's actually disappointed when we are there and it's not crowded and we can get on the ride quickly because he likes exploring the queue and all its details and loves how long the queue is (because they had to build it in a weird way in what used to be the Eeyore parking lot...requiring a long tunnel to get to the ride from its entrance).

I think when Disney builds things, they know that there will be a bluster of superfans who hate any kind of change, even if it means new rides. But that as the years go by, these people settle down and are drowned out by all the people who cheer and love the finished product.

• film975

I still don't understand why Disney is doing this in the first place. Sure, Avatar broke box office records at the time of its original release and started the current 3D craze we're in now. But it doesn't necessarily mean its popular enough to merit any presence in a Disney park. I still think this Avatar thing was just a knee-jerk reaction after Disney lost the Harry Potter deal. They really should've waited until they got Marvel and Star Wars before spending any serious development money on it.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    This strikes me as kind of morbid, to talk about when someone will be "dead or retired"...but James Cameron just completed a dive down to the bottom of the ocean in an experimental submarine. He's hardly geriatric.

The man is 59 years old and he owns his own company, so he's not "retiring" from anything. He's probably going to be around for 20 more years, at least, considering the age expectancy for a man like him today.

I highly doubt he will be "dead or retired" by the time Avatar Land is constructed at DAK.
    Talk about missing the point!!!

The first Avatar Movie took 15 years to make. So going by this time-frame James Cameron would be almost 100 by the time the other two movies get released.

The first Avatar movie took 15 years because he had to basically IMAGINEER completely new technology. Amazing Demonstration of the virtual camera invented for AVATAR - YouTube

Avatarland is the price Disney is paying for not leading the way in entertainment technology development, and they're hoping that Cameron's technology will be adaptable to deliver on a real next-gen experience. Immersive won't even begin to describe it. IN THEORY.

In practice, this is a trainwreck in the making. They're never going to be able to execute on what's essentially imagineering the Holodeck.

I do notice they've figured out how to rfid tag all of the assets in the attraction. ( you )

FWIW, back in the early 90's I figured another decade or two before Candace Brightman was blowing everyone's minds doing free floating 3d in realtime for 20,000 people. We we making progress unfortunately that R&D program got permanently derailed in 95...
    Last edited by mikelieman; 10-13-2013 at 02:29 AM.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    The first Avatar movie took 15 years because he had to basically IMAGINEER completely new technology. Amazing Demonstration of the virtual camera invented for AVATAR - YouTube

Avatarland is the price Disney is paying for not leading the way in entertainment technology development, and they're hoping that Cameron's technology will be adaptable to deliver on a real next-gen experience. Immersive won't even begin to describe it. IN THEORY.

In practice, this is a trainwreck in the making. They're never going to be able to execute on what's essentially imagineering the Holodeck.

I do notice they've figured out how to rfid tag all of the assets in the attraction. ( you )

FWIW, back in the early 90's I figured another decade or two before Candace Brightman was blowing everyone's minds doing free floating 3d in realtime for 20,000 people. We we making progress unfortunately that R&D program got permanently derailed in 95...
    YEs this can go both ways, it's like an all-in bet in Hold em...

IF they win they hit big if they lose they can permanently soil their own reputation and properties...I think Disney knows this, so it will be as immersive and amazing as possible, if they try to do this on the cheap it can easily destroy their business...

Here's to hoping that this turns out amazing!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

I would suggest that for an idea about the direction we *could be* going in, the somewhat dated but I think still relevant novels in the Dream Park series are helpful starting places. Consider that if we're all tagged with RFID, and we're in a 3D motion capture environment, and they can real-time project 3d environments, "Alice's Tea Party" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "The Haunted Mansion" don't require anything to change in terms of 'show'. Just upload the new changes, and hit 'play'....

Dream Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast