Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

First Look: AVATAR to Come to Life at Disney‚€™s Animal Kingdom ¬ę Disney Parks Blog

Name:  1Avatar_1.jpg
Views: 3021
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  Avatar_8.jpg
Views: 3015
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  1Avatar_5.jpg
Views: 2984
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  Avatar_7.jpg
Views: 3002
Size:  189.7 KB

Name:  Avatar_6.jpg
Views: 3020
Size:  181.7 KB

The preview was done at the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan, and some of the images are now online. The photo above features James Cameron, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs and Imagineer Joe Rohde looking at a model of the upcoming land. See concept art photos and learn more after the jump.Here are details on the new Avatar Land addition:

Our combined team has taken huge steps forward in “imagineering” Pandora as a real place for our guests to see, hear and touch. As these concept renderings show in epic scale, in the world of AVATAR guests will encounter awe-inspiring floating mountains and wander through a nighttime jungle of bioluminescent plants that are alive with light and sound. Guests will also discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee.

So this confirms two rides and a walk-through experience for the new land:

• A Pirates of the Caribbean-like water ride (although its unclear if its an indoor dark ride like Pirates or an outside experience like Jungle Cruise).
    • And a flying simulator ride which will let guest “discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee.” Could this be a retheming of Soarin (which is already in Disney’s California Adventure and Florida’s Epcot parks) or an entirely new ride system?
    • A walk through a bioluminecent jungle experience

• Minion

Re: Avatar Land First Look

This should go in the WDW forums

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    It should go in the trash can of horrible ideas to render as a Disney park.

Avatar themed jungle cruise. Check.
    Rethemed Soaring as Banshee's. Check.
    Tree of Life becomes Bioluminescent. Check.

Somehow it just doesn't seem as impressive as HP land. Always seemed like the weaker of two IPs.

I think he was just trying to make sure people saw it. I'm glad he posted it because I would not have seen this otherwise.

An argument could be made that it belongs in this forum too because some aspects of this could find their way to Disneyland too at some point.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    I think he was just trying to make sure people saw it. I'm glad he posted it because I would not have seen this otherwise.

An argument could be made that it belongs in this forum too because some aspects of this could find their way to Disneyland too at some point.
    I don't see that happening.

I'd love to see a nighttime version of the jungle cruise at DLR. That's about it and I'm not sure it would have to be Avatar themed. Otherwise I could skip the rest.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Please. No. Just no.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    I'd love to see a nighttime version of the jungle cruise at DLR. That's about it and I'm not sure it would have to be Avatar themed. Otherwise I could skip the rest.
    They already do run the jungle cruise at night.

The only positive I see here is that it looks like AK will finally get some night hours...

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Wow... really, people are still trying to say this isn't going to happen or shouldn't happen? I get the opinion of not wanting it but IT IS coming! Just learn to love it and get ready to experience it with the rest of us. And yes this is FAR better than Harry Potter's land area place.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Minion

I gather that they didn't show that at OUR D23 Expo in Anaheim because there would be very little else to show at the Expo in Japan?

If they were going to show that much in Japan, they COULD have provided at least a LITTLE more in Anaheim.

• Sock Puppet

Wow!!!! I wasn't looking forward to this at all but that looks incredible. The boat ride looks like the kind of experience that DLR regulars are always begging for.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    The ride will have to be an indoor attraction a'la Pirates in order to achieve the bioluminescence effect which could only work in a light controlled environment.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I have known of a lot of these plans for months, as I just worked at Disneyworld this summer on my ICP. I was sworn to secrecy, but since the cats out of the bag... This is really what's going on:

With AVATAR coming to DAK, they knew they would have to extend the park to be open in the evening, but with most experiences ending early, they had to figure out what else they could do to keep the park open late, so guests have more then just AVATAR to see and do. Thus, they created a new night time show. But the biggest, and most exciting news I think, is the NIGHT TIME SAFARI! Imagineers have been at work, creating a way to light the entire Safari as if it was natural moonlight, and so when Safari ends its day run, there will be a switch over... Some animals will be removed, where as some will be added. Creating a completely different night experience.

You should all be excited about what AVATAR is bringing to DAK, and I'm glad I can really talk about it now.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

I don't see that happening.
    That is your opinion. Other people might have their own opinions.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast