So I'm renting a boat on my WDW trip...

This would be my first time doing so on one of my trips. I'm trying to budget my trip and want to rent a boat. I've looked into the prices and so fourth, so my question(s) are:
    Is one half hour rental good to get the feel of the lake? Should I plan on doing a multi rental? Where are the best places to cruise around while on the lake? All the input is much appreciated.

• Under that tree again!

Re: So I'm renting a boat on my WDW trip...

Where are you renting? I would suggest from the Seven Seas Lagoon Resorts or Bay Lake Resorts.

Circle Riles(Discovery) Island were all the vultures circle and try to just go by the Wilderness Lodge, and the resorts and MK on Seven Seas Lagoon. It's a cool perspective from the water.

It's also fun to see the Ferry Boats going by and playing on their wake. Be sure to give them a wide birth.

As a second option rent at the Port Orleans resorts or DTD. The sassalouga river is a slow limited speed but scenic cruise. Around DTD is ok. I do recommend the first far above this one.

Crescent Lake between the Epcot Resort is my last choice. Just ok and surely the quickest to sail.

A half hour is good, but you may want more time. Kind of depends on the weather and how much you like it. Don't worry you get charged when you return so just stay out longer if you would like.

Also remember the lakes are patrolled so be in control and play safe. Yield to the bigger boat, and don't cut off any boats. Pass on the right.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

1/2 an hour is enough for me to blast around both Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. I usually rent a Sea Raycer from the Contemporary. One hint - these things don't plane out all that well, so when you hit the gas, lean forward. Once your boat planes out (riding on top of the water), you'll really fly!

Thank you for the tips. I plan on renting the pontoon boats to just cruise around and get away from the parks and crowds. I took the private fireworks cruise last years when I was there and just loved it. This time I want to experience the lake during the day.

Are all the lakes connected?( I know this may be a dumb question, but I had read that there are water ways that run by DTD, EPCOT, MK, Hollywood Studios, and different resorts.

Nope. The Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake are connected. Crescent Lake by the Epcot resorts is on its own. The Sassagoula River which runs by the Port Orleans resorts is connected to the waterway at Downtown Disney. Three separate water areas that have no connection between them.

And if you're getting a pontoon boat, plan on an hour - they don't go all that fast.

• formerly very helpful

Are the Sea Raycers the same thing as the Water Sprites from a few years ago?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Are the Sea Raycers the same thing as the Water Sprites from a few years ago?
    Yes, and also were called Water Mice a long time ago.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

More or less. Different manufacturer, but the same small boat with a 9.9 hp motor.