•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Restaurant reservation planning/advice for trip next month.

Basically, our party will be attending WDW for 7 days (one day set aside for Universal and IoA) and flight and hotel and park tickets all purchased at this point: so looking at the narrowing down of restaurants to make reservations at and other dining experiences which don't need such that we want to visit.

Here is the short-list of places I suspect will have to make reservations for ASAP or know that takes them:

• The new Be Our Guest restaurant (for dinner most likely)
    • Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch seems to come highly recommended)
    • Sci-Fi Dine In (and I've seen critical reviews of most of the food, but ambiance and decor and concept is my favorite of all the restaurants, so, it's in no matter what pretty much)
    • Chefs de France (recommended for lunch more it seems like?)
    • Rose & Crown Pub (reservations needed here or walk up OK?)

That's the ones that come immediately to mind that take advance reservations that are on my list of 'wants', any others advised are quite welcome! Is the Ohana buffet at the Polynesian worth cost?

Food-wise from counter service places, I am keen mostly on places like the Sleepy Hollow waffle sandwiches, the famous Norway school bread, a few other odds and ends like that. What are the best dining places overall at Animal Kingdom? The decor and artifacts at Yak and Yeti look really cool and worth going in to see, but food reviews there overall pretty abysmal.

Thanks in advance for all recommendations and advice!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Under that tree again!

Re: Restaurant reservation planning/advice for trip next month.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    That's the ones that come immediately to mind that take advance reservations that are on my list of 'wants', any others advised are quite welcome! Is the Ohana buffet at the Polynesian worth cost?

Food-wise from counter service places, I am keen mostly on places like the Sleepy Hollow waffle sandwiches, the famous Norway school bread, a few other odds and ends like that. What are the best dining places overall at Animal Kingdom? The decor and artifacts at Yak and Yeti look really cool and worth going in to see, but food reviews there overall pretty abysmal.
    Ohana is good but not one of my favorites. It worked once for me really well, when we walked out and right to the resort launch and was in the MK within 10 minutes. That time the timing worked out well.

I would suggest that if you leave DAK go to the AKL and eat at Boma. It's a little exotic, but not too scary. It makes a great end of day dinner location.

In DAK I usually go to Restrauntsuarus. It's nothing special but each visit I usually eat the standard Disney burger at least once and often do it there. The best feature is that it has a topping bar. Yak and Yeti does have a very good menu, I would recommend this location. The other place I really enjoy is Flame Tree BBQ. I like to eat ribs when I have the chance, but don't know if they are any different from the ribs that were served at Taste Pilots Grill. The nice thing is if you walk around the building there is seating down near the water (but you here screams from Everest periodically).

To comment on your other choices.
    Chefs de France seems to be preferred at lunch mainly because of the price difference. I don't think the menu improves on way or the other, but the Prixe fix menu is much higher for dinner.

Rose and Crown is not one of my favorites. I would get a reservation, instead of chancing a long, very long wait. There is also the pub(counter service) instead of the dining room, which has limited food on the menu. Once of the hardest things to do in Epcot is take your food from the pub and sit by the water when Illuminations shows, table to the left and in back. This is not a secret and is too popular to easily do.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Done with MC.

If you wan't to sit in one of the "cars" at SciFi then you need reservations. Otherwise they have tables at the back that still have a great view of everything and those are available on-demand.
    I agree the food is average but it's a fun place to eat at least once.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

'Ohana is most definitely worth it - an incredible amount of very tasty food for a very reasonable price.

The new Be Our Guest restaurant (for dinner most likely)
    If lunch is ok with you a line forms about 10;30 . We got right in and had a nice lunch, no reservations needed.

Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch seems to come highly recommended)
    Never been, let us know how it works out!

Sci-Fi Dine In (and I've seen critical reviews of most of the food, but ambiance and decor and concept is my favorite of all the restaurants, so, it's in no matter what pretty much)

Yes, if you want to sit in a car you need reservations. Remember that the car seats are 2x2x2 so if you go with two couples you will be looking at the back of their heads.

Chefs de France (recommended for lunch more it seems like?)
    We went for supper and it was awesome. We had the best wait staff ever and it made the meal even better.

Rose & Crown Pub (reservations needed here or walk up OK?)
    Never went, let us know how it went!

As for others, We love the restaurant in "Mexico", the buffet style meal in Germany is good, but the show is top notch. We had a great meal at the Yak and Yeti. The food was great and my wife wanted to go back just for the deserts. The food at the Ohana was great, but it was a bit noisy for us. Boma was good as well for a buffet style. Sanaa was much quieter and relaxing.

We made reservations at all of ours. If you change your mind they are easy enough to rearange, tho if you try last minute you have to take the times they have left.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Thanks for the input! Managed three wanted reservations (Liberty Tree, Yak and and Rose and Crown) and decided lunch fine for the new BoG. Sadly nothing went through for Sci-Fi - I've seen conflicting reports, with one person claiming there are zero walk-up tables free there (we don't need a car honestly, a table on the sides is fine), so do you have other info mad? Thanks for all your input and any forthcoming as well!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

OK, a few more.

Kona Cafe, the food was great, but this is the restaurant that sits out in the upper lobby at the Polynesian so the ambiance isn't the best but I'd go again, the food was that good.

We ate at the California Grill before the rework they just finish. If you like "fancy" plating that looks more like art work than something to dig into then this is the place for you. We are just "casual" type folk and it was a bit over the top for us. The view was awesome, and so was the food.

Crystal Palace and Hollywood and vine are family style buffets. The food was ok at both, but the wait staff was "fun" at the Hollywood a vine as they were in character while they waited the tables.

Tokyo Dining was fun too. We had the gambit from sushi to steak and it was all wonderful and forks will be provided if you need it We got a window seat and looking out at the world showcase lagoon while watching the sun set was unbelievable.

As a side story for our trip to the Sci-fi we had made our reservation kinda last minute (a week or so before we went down) so it was a pretty late in the day. On the day of the reservation we figured we would hang out at that park that day so on a whim we stopped by early and found that there had be a cancellation so we got in 2 hours earlier. So calling over or asking your concierge to try and get you an earlier time my be an option if you have a late one. Make the reservation even if it's a late one that you most likely can't/won't make (do call to cancel it if you are sure you won't make it). If something opens up earlier who do you think they are going to call first? Not someone random person in the park that day, but someone they have the number to.

Have fun. One of the reasons I enjoy the parks is trying out new places to eat and food I've never had. We went to Restaurant Marakesh once and I had goat. It was ok, but the show was loud and annoying. We won't be going back to that one.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    We ate at the California Grill before the rework they just finish. If you like "fancy" plating that looks more like art work than something to dig into then this is the place for you. We are just "casual" type folk and it was a bit over the top for us.
    A funny story about the "plating". A few years ago I was working at a convention event in Orlando, and I convinced a few crew members to accompany me to the California Grill. Most of them (heck, most of US!) were more or less blue collar folks who don't do fine dining (I pretty much don't do it anywhere else but Disney parks). Well, when the beef filets arrived, my friend Sergio, who was expecting something like you'd get at a Ponderosa or Bonanza Steak House, took one look at the plate, looked up at me, and said "Hey, where's the baked potato?" By the end of the meal he was totally satisfied, but it wasn't what he expected!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Basically, our party will be attending WDW for 7 days (one day set aside for Universal and IoA) and flight and hotel and park tickets all purchased at this point: so looking at the narrowing down of restaurants to make reservations at and other dining experiences which don't need such that we want to visit.

Here is the short-list of places I suspect will have to make reservations for ASAP or know that takes them:

• The new Be Our Guest restaurant (for dinner most likely)
    • Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch seems to come highly recommended)
    • Sci-Fi Dine In (and I've seen critical reviews of most of the food, but ambiance and decor and concept is my favorite of all the restaurants, so, it's in no matter what pretty much)
    • Chefs de France (recommended for lunch more it seems like?)
    • Rose & Crown Pub (reservations needed here or walk up OK?)

Thanks in advance for all recommendations and advice!
    Hmm..

Liberty Tree Tavern. I haven't eaten there since it use to have Character Dining. I remember the food being very good and large portions. Have never been back since the Character Dining disappeared from there. So large portions are what I remember and the visual setting was very immersive.

Be Our Guest... wow... good luck with large parties. You really didn't list the amount of people you're looking for. Usually checking with the online system everyday should get you a table from here until your date arrives. Remember there will be a handful of cancellations as people's trips planned for the time you're going get moved or cancelled for whatever reason. Dinner is just a must. I mean you're traveling across the United States to WDW, might as well keep trying DAILY for reservations at Be Our Guest, it really is worth it.

The checking daily thing does work. Every trip I've taken to WDW I've had one to 2 dining reservations for Be Our Guest. It's because I keep checking daily and multiple times a day. I had another one this December visit but let it go and I have another for a February visit coming up. I helped a friend and got them 2 for the week they were going to be there. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, I mean it IS booked for months and months in advance but people cancel like there's no tomorrow, it seems. Good luck!

Sci-Fi Dining. Yes the tables are part of the reservations. There are no walk ups accepted unless someone has cancelled during that hour you just happened to walk up to the podium. But remember to always request a car when checking in. I think based on your collections of photos you post that this place is definitely PERFECTION for you. The food wasn't the greatest but the atmosphere is a must. Just don't get a big meal here, spend wisely and small so your bill isn't so big. That's what me and my party did last time.

Chefs de France. I think this is the one where the FUNNY waiter comes out with Remy on his table and interacts with the tables. The food is OUTSTANDING and if you can ask to be seated in the glass house/sunroom(not sure what they call it) next to the water fountain... well it's a nice place to relax and dine while having a view of Epcot's France pavilion just on the other side of the large glass windows.

Rose & Crown Pub. I've always had not trouble walking up for a table but then always seem to change my mind and move on to another Epcot attraction. I have yet to eat here and I really need to on my next big visit.

The Haunted Mansion Manor Dining is also unbelievable. The spooky waiters are amazing and funny and request to sit in the Museum room with the stretching walls. There's 3 dining areas and they'll seat you wherever but request that room. The food even has spooky titles like Finger Foods.. hilarious. Oh wait... they haven't built this yet. Never mind.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Done with MC.

I would get a reservation for Rose and Crown. We go in the off season but it was still packed and had we not had a res, we would have had to skip it. The Surf and Turf is incredible BTW.
    Another fantastic spot is the Moroccan restaurant "Marrakesh. Good food and interesting ambiance.
    "Dining Japan" has wonderful views of the World Showcase and its pavilion gardens. It has the best seafood tempura I've ever had. They also have an impressive sushi bar though I didn't try it.