Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone else think Avatarland is a poor choice for any Disney Park?

First, let me say that I am a fan of the movie. It is technically brilliant and visually stunning.
    However, my problem with the creation of a land at DAK is the lack of staying power. The film was huge when it was released but I think it is more of a fad than culturally significant. If this is supposed to be Disney's answer to Potter at Universal, it is a very poor choice. Potter has a hugely popular book series as well as a brilliant movie franchise to draw fans from. The Potter fans span generations, parent's, children and even grand parent's know the stories and films. I personally read the stories with my now ,college freshman daughter, and will read them to my two year old at the appropriate age because of the great storytelling they have.

Avatar on the other hand is just one film.(I know, there are planned sequels) and is already 3 years old with no new film due for release in the next year. I am certain that my 2 year old will not know Avatar is. It seems like a waste of hundreds of millions of dollars for a land that will be old and passť by the time it would schedule to open. I know that DAK needs something(so does DHS) but Disney is wrong to hitch it's wagon to Avatar. If you agree with me, what land would you suggest that would stand the test of time.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Anyone else think Avatarland is a poor choice for any Disney Park?

I can't wait to see what they're gonna do with it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    ...It seems like a waste of hundreds of millions of dollars for a land that will be old and passť by the time it would schedule to open. I know that DAK needs something(so does DHS) but Disney is wrong to hitch it's wagon to Avatar...
    While Avatarland has many supporters, the dozens of threads and hundreds of posts on this topic would suggest that many more agree it is a poor choice for Disney theme parks, and an especially poor choice for DAK. And not only because of the source material, but management's narrow, uninspired vision of Disney Parks that gives birth to such ideas in the first place.

To that latter point, one of the best posts I've read is from the "Avatar Land First Look" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    Avatarland is the price Disney is paying for not leading the way in entertainment technology development, and they're hoping that Cameron's technology will be adaptable to deliver on a real next-gen experience. Immersive won't even begin to describe it. IN THEORY.

In practice, this is a trainwreck in the making. They're never going to be able to execute on what's essentially imagineering the Holodeck.

I do notice they've figured out how to rfid tag all of the assets in the attraction. ( you )

FWIW, back in the early 90's I figured another decade or two before Candace Brightman was blowing everyone's minds doing free floating 3d in realtime for 20,000 people. We we making progress unfortunately that R&D program got permanently derailed in 95...
    In that sense, the soul of the Avatarland concept isn't Avatar, it's the lazy "Rent-A-Franchise" philosophy of Disney management's uncreative, unimaginative, un-innovative vision for its domestic theme parks.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-16-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I am for one very pleased this is still happening with no signs of stopping despite the tiny outcry against the project. Avatar works for Animal Kingdom despite the nitpicking of reasons why it doesn't belong. Especially after seeing the concept art at the vision for how it fits in Animal Kingdom.. well the visuals speak for themselves. Its just a perfect addition to the Animal Kingdom landscape.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Metro-Retro Historian

I'm against any land based on a single film or film franchise. It's a very shortsighted gamble and runs the risk that an entire section of your park could be irrelevant in a couple years.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

No, I think it will be a great addition. The naysayers are always a small group of forum fans that have their own ideas of what is Disney acceptable and what is not.

so far the response from the general public in news stories has been of excited to one day visit Pandora

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The naysayers are always a small group of forum fans...
    Trivializing the numbers of anti-Avatarland posts does not minimize the message. Like the few, small canaries in the mines whose voices portended big events.

In any case, looking at the numerous threads on this topic from the last couple years, it's difficult to dismiss the Avatarland critics as "a small group" when they seem to be the majority of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    so far the response from the general public in news stories has been of excited to one day visit Pandora
    I've seen very little "excited response from the general public in news stories," other than a handful of readers' comments from obviously loyal Disney fans, in new stories largely confined to Florida online media.

- Neil Gabler

Im looking forward to seeing what they do with this. I liked the movie, but loved the whole Pandora scenes. I don't think the ones who like this idea are the minorities. I just think , that those who DONT like it, enjoy starting posts to complain, and those who like or love the idea, just sit back and wait for what happens .....lol....I mean, what good does it do to complain over and over about something not in your control? Just kick back and wait until the darn thing is built, and if it sucks, THEN start the beef.....lol

• formerly very helpful

To be honest, I'm not that excited about it. I liked the movie, but I don't really see the fit. However, the drawings I've seen are exciting and could make for a spectacular land.
    If their intent is to combat Harry Potter Land, honestly they should do a whole Star Wars land, which could include jungles and other environments which could have exotic animal life, such as banthas, taun-tauns, wampas, mynocks, etc.
    Personally, I'm of the camp that would have been happier if they would simply go ahead and build Beastly Kingdom, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed.

• Minion

ORWEN: I don't care a thing for Avatar and would rather have Beastly Kingdom built at Animal Kingdom.

•   
    • Minion

Anyone else think it might be called Pandora instead of Avatarland? I am excited for it! If you look at all the topics on this forum about this project which there are a lot they are probably split 50/50 amoung those of us who favor it versus who don't.

I have a feeling if you ask people out of this forum the level of interest is much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by danlb_2000 View Post
    I seem to be in the minority in that I have no problem with Avatar in AK. The lush natural world that was created for the movie is a perfect fit for AK, and I think it nicely compliments existing attractions that already cover real and mythical animals by adding completely imaginary ones. The underlying theme of the movie is about protecting the environment and living in harmony with nature which is an important element of Animal Kingdom, and I think they will focus more on this, then on the actual story of the movie. AK is also in need of a reason to stay open after dark. Pandora is a perfect environment for a nighttime experience.

As for the staying power of Avatar, I don't think it really matters. If you build a great land and great rides they will easily outlive the popularity of the movie. How many people who ride Splash Mountain have every even seen Song of the South, not to mention all the very popular rides that aren't based on movies at all.

I also don't have a problem with using a non-Disney movie since it may help bring in guests who are not Disney fans. Yes, they could have built a Lion King ride in AK and it would probably be very popular, but mainly with Disney fans who are already coming to the park.

As for this being an answer to Potter, I agree that it isn't, but there really isn't much that can compete with the Potter franchise at this point. About the only thing that equals it in cultural significance, relevance and fan base is Star Wars, and if the rumors are true that is already coming to DHS.
    I agree with this!

I think pinning the name/idea as "avatarland" is what is bothering people. If you were to look at this whole new section they were adding as a visually stunning area with a thrill ride or two and a beautiful scenic ride through a land of wonders would it make more sense to some of you?

I'm all for seeing what they do with it.

• WDW & Universal in Sept!!

I think it is a wise investment on Disney part. In the video that announces avatarland recently it says they are working on 3 more movies so that is decades of new fans and money to reap. They will let others worry about it 30 years from now when it isnt a fad if that ever happens.

Although i know it is no star wars but think about start wars. Released in 1977 and now it is probably one of the most valuable brands in the world, maybe that is what they are expecting and hoping for avatar?

"Avatarland" no worse than "Bugsland" dont you think? Avatarland is a whole new market for them to step into!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneygeek24 View Post
    I think it is a wise investment on Disney part. In the video that announces avatarland recently it says they are working on 3 more movies so that is decades of new fans and money to reap. They will let others worry about it 30 years from now when it isnt a fad if that ever happens.

Although i know it is no star wars but think about start wars. Released in 1977 and now it is probably one of the most valuable brands in the world, maybe that is what they are expecting and hoping for avatar?

"Avatarland" no worse than "Bugsland" dont you think? Avatarland is a whole new market for them to step into!
    The first Star Wars film was a phenomenon that spawned famous characters, memorable music and an insane amount of merchandise. In contrast, Avatar's characters were as forgettable as its music and it generated essentially zero merchandise. It's interesting that Disney owns the former but chose the latter to shovel money into for DAK.

And If Bugsland is the standard by which Avatarland is measured, Disney is deep trouble.

- Neil Gabler

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Avatarland (or whatever they ultimately decide to call it) is much more about environments and experiences than about characters. You can't make a toy about an environment, but you can sure make a land about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast