Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith

What's with this ride? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really fun rollercoaster, but I've never understood how it came about. How did Aerosmith get tied into a Disney rollercoaster? To me, the idea of you joining the band on their limo as they blitz thru L.A. to get to a show in Hollywood makes little sense thematically with DHS. I know here on MiceChat we all talk about how convoluted DHS is thematically (like DCA), but I think it would be awesome if they could keep the coaster but re-theme it to something having to do with the movies, or even one specific (classic/Golden Era of Hollywood) movie. Does the contract with Aerosmith regarding this ride exist in perpetuity? Is there an escape clause of sorts?

Just curious in general about this ride...how it came to be, and if there's a possibility to change/improve it's theme. Any info is welcome, as is anyone's ideas for a new version of this ride.

• Mouseketeer

Re: Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith

I've wondered that myself.

What I do know is that the track layout is manufactured by Vecoma, and not unique. It exists as an outdoor coaster in Netherlands (not related to Disney nor Aerosmith).

There is also the other Rock n Roller Coaster in Walt Disney Studios in Paris. This version is themed a bit different, being an Aerosmith music video. There are several different lightning and effect sequences, giving different ride throughs available.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• Nutty about Disney parks

Last edited by toonaspie; 10-21-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: just delete
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    There is also the other Rock n Roller Coaster in Walt Disney Studios in Paris. This version is themed a bit different, being an Aerosmith music video. There are several different lightning and effect sequences, giving different ride throughs available.
    What is with this Aerosmith connection to Disney? hahaha

• Under that tree again!

Hollywood is a central place for entertainment. TV, movies and music. That's why the can have a band themed ride.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

It was made by Vekoma as were the two original Flight of Fear coasters at King's Dominion and King's Island as well as the outdoor versions at a few Six Flags parks here in the US.

I've been on the two Flight of Fear Coasters which were originally called Outer Limits: Flight of Fear when the parks were owned by Paramount. I will say that the Rock n' Rollercoaster is the best of this type of coaster I've been on.

Thematically, I don't see how it fits in that section of DHS.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Well, a lot of record labels call Los Angeles their home, so it does fit that section of the park (Sunset Blvd).

When they decided they were going to theme the coaster to rock & roll, apparently they (Disney) got the idea to have it themed to one particular band. At the time, Aerosmith was at the peak of their career and one of the biggest bands in the US (if not the world). So they contacted the band to ask if they wanted to be involved and they said yes.

As for the story... you got to pay attention to the pre-show to get it all. You're visiting the band at the recording studio (G-Force Records) but then they have to go because they have a concert. Steven Tyler is all "Hey we can't just leave these people hanging!" and invite us to go to the concert and they get their manager (or whoever the chick is) to get us a limo ("Make it a super-stretch.") to take us to the show. The ride itself is obviously the journey from the recording studio through Los Angeles to the venue for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post

As for the story... you got to pay attention to the pre-show to get it all. You're visiting the band at the recording studio (G-Force Records) but then they have to go because they have a concert. Steven Tyler is all "Hey we can't just leave these people hanging!" and invite us to go to the concert and they get their manager (or whoever the chick is) to get us a limo ("Make it a super-stretch.") to take us to the show. The ride itself is obviously the journey from the recording studio through Los Angeles to the venue for the show.
    Yeah, I got that. I even mentioned it in my original post.

And swampymarsh, I understand that bands record in Hollywood, but again, the park is called Disney Hollywood Studios and is about movies (and television to a lesser extent). It just strikes me as odd that Disney would theme a rollercoaster to a rock band, let alone Aerosmith. It's always just seemed very random to me.

Again, I'd like to invite people to post about any ideas you may have about a possible different theme for this ride too.

The one thing that I couldn't understand, is why Aerosmith. With all their drug and alcohol related reputations, it seemed strange to use them. But, they were number one when it was built, so, I think they went with popularity instead of morality , which is what is the norm for Disney , right?

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    The one thing that I couldn't understand, is why Aerosmith. With all their drug and alcohol related reputations, it seemed strange to use them. But, they were number one when it was built, so, I think they went with popularity instead of morality , which is what is the norm for Disney , right?
    Yeah, but would you REALLY want to go on "One Direction Coaster"?

Besides, Aerosmith probably seemed like a good deal at the time. They were on a comeback, the band was clean/sober, they'd just done the Armageddon theme, it all dovetailed together to make it something that made sense somewhere in management.

We've become much less accepting of a pop fixtures' previous actions since then.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

Would you rather it be the Jonas Brothers? Not a lot of rock bands have exactly a squeaky clean reputation.

I never got the concept as why it was there, but as someone pointed it out, it goes along with the area that it's in Sunset Blvd. I mean, if we say Rockin' Roller Coaster doesn't make sense, we might as well discuss how Tower of Terror doesn't make sense to be there either.

The whole theme in DHS is a mess either way, especially now.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Besides, Aerosmith probably seemed like a good deal at the time. They were on a comeback, the band was clean/sober, they'd just done the Armageddon theme, it all dovetailed together to make it something that made sense somewhere in management.
    Exactly, BogLurch. The band had been clean & sober for several years at that point and as I mentioned before, were at the peak of their success with that song from Armageddon as well as several other hits (Crazy, Cryin', Living on the Edge, to name a few). Disney wanted to use a band that everyone knew and Aerosmith is known world-wide.

Aerosmith, like Captain Eo, feels to me like Disney's lame attempt to be rock 'n' roll relevant. It might as well be One Direction or Nirvana. Thirty years' time is hard on music.

Equating Los Angeles traffic with a roller coaster makes PERFECT sense. At least we aren't invited on a gangsta ride-a-long drive by shooting full of booming bass and gunshots.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

I Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith is from Armageddon produced by Touchstone Pictures presents (among others) Jerry Bruckheimer Films, distributed by Buena Vista Productions - sounds like enough Disney connections to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast