Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Will DAK open South America / Oceania (Australia, South Pacific), Europe or N America

It seems odd DAK's themed areas will consist of two continents (Asia and Africa), DinoLand and soon AvatarLand. Seems like adding some animal exhibits, guest services and maybe even a couple of dark ride opportunities sprinkled in would make for a more rounded full-day park in conjunction with the current projects at a fraction of their cost. What would you add to Disney Animal/Alien Kingdom?

• Minion

Re: Will DAK open South America / Oceania (Australia, South Pacific), Europe or N Ame

well in my opinion, the next logical step for the park would be to use up the space in upper central area and eliminate the train ride to conservation station, essentially connecting the park entirely and providing more interest in that rather disconnected land. both oceania and south america would be great options for this, however I would put my money on Oceania simply because its so unique, has a hugely diverse group of animals to choose from, and has a great mythology tied to it for the creation of rides. after this were to be done however, the conservation station is in serious need of a refurbishing and possibly even expansion to attend to the new demand that will be making its way in that direction. if they were to do a retheme for this area I would take away the central role of rafiki and move him as a more subtle role in say the hospital area, then make the entire place themed to north america as I think not only does north america deserve a role in the park but kids learn well from familiar surroundings and it seems perfect to transplant upon the area for the most part.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Will DAK open South America / Oceania (Australia, South Pacific), Europe or N Ame

Doesn't DAK want to be something different than the other theme parks? I mean, I thought they were more in the vein of Sea World and zoos and aquariums and the goal was to teach. I think they're getting away from the inspiration for the park and just trying to make it an equal money making machine as the other parks. But, it would seem it's operational costs and budget structure must make it a different park to operate.

A while back, someone mentioned the Gallapagos Island as an attraction. I think it would be cool to walk through the caves and then see the critters that can only be seen on the island.
    Last edited by redrhino54; 10-24-2013 at 06:54 PM.

• Under that tree again!

My view is Avatarland is DAK's fix as it attracts a smaller amount of visits and demands shorter hours. Just like done in DCA. A character meet and greet, Asia and Africa plus the poorly done Dinoland is very small and limited, sure I want more.

I think the new continents/biomes could be expansions done over the next 50 years. No need to build it all now.

Still I really like DAK one of my favorite parks anywhere because it's very diverse in its offerings.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• formerly very helpful

I'm still in the camp that wants Beastly Kingdom, although I know that won't happen.
    I like the ideas of Oceana and the Americas. There's a lot there that can be utilized, including focusing more on the folklore and mythology of those regions, like they did with Expedition Everest.
    Part of the problem with having the live animals as attractions is they are limited by the hours of the day that the animals can/will be viewable. That's why if they want to expand the park into an all-day experience, they will need more non-animal attractions.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    A while back, someone mentioned the Galopicos(sp?) Island as an attraction. I think it would be cool to walk through the caves and then see the critters that can only be seen on the island.
    Gallapagos. Sure, if you can get your hands on all of those rare animals in Orlando.

•   
    • Minion

Who knows maybe after they build Pandora they can tackle another continent. Although I would want Galopagos first if it was a option that would be sweet!

I would love to see Oceania to go in a couple years after AVATAR Land. Finding Nemo could move to that area. Then Dino-Rama would be demolished, and a new dinosaur dark ride would go in. After that, they could add the Americas. But that is all far in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    A while back, someone mentioned the Galopicos(sp?) Island as an attraction. I think it would be cool to walk through the caves and then see the critters that can only be seen on the island.
    Brilliant idea, and one very interesting and pertinent to animals and evolution.
    This would be great.

You have to recognize that preparing an entire new "land"'s worth of wild animals is just as much a large undertaking as it is to begin operations on a zoo. Animals are extremely hard to maintain and take care of, let alone get ahold of. Then take into mind that this is Disney we're talking about. You can't just get any old animal. They have to have some "star" animal attraction to go with it. Like say, a Grizzly Bear for North America or a Hoatzin or panther Jaguar for South America. It's amazing Disney was able to get Komodo Dragons and tigers for Asia and a whole slew of animals for Africa (including okapis- while overlooked, they're extremely rare animals and it's a treat that they actually have them on display).

Avatarland, Beastly Kingdom, or something of the like would, in the end, be far most cost effective and due to the mechanics of getting ahold of animals in the zoological park business, easier really... Disney has money, sure, but do they still hold the same sway they did when obtaining the animals for Asia and Africa?

Now I suppose they could have a mini-land in the form of Australia/Oceana taking the place of Dino-Rama, with like one ride and a few exhibits since they already have kangaroos on display, but then, what would they put in place of the kangaroos on Discovery Island Trails? I guess they could just shutter that part of the park but eh, I don't think that's the best option.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

On the other hand with the vast number of animals people free into the wild they could put real reptiles in place of the tacky DinoLand to tell the story of Dino's more accurately like how the San Diego Zoo teaches about mastadons with elephants.

• Banned User

Dinoland has to go. It is a waste of space. I would redesign the Dinosaur ride since it is not a great ride, a real disappointment, and not kid friendly either.

Instead, I think adding a Panda display in a China display would be the best choice. The new E-Ticket ride to replace Dinosaur is a historical trip to the Panda habitat.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Dinoland has to go. It is a waste of space. I would redesign the Dinosaur ride since it is not a great ride, a real disappointment, and not kid friendly either.

Instead, I think adding a Panda display in a China display would be the best choice. The new E-Ticket ride to replace Dinosaur is a historical trip to the Panda habitat.

I always wondered if a retheme of Dinoland USA could happen. It really doesn't do much for me. Based off the artists concepts we have Pandora will probably blow it out of the water. My biggest issue with Dinoland is you have a great lore with Dinosaurs and the best they would do is a Carnival side show theme and a clone of Indy that's just IMO aweful. They should have gone the route of creating the period of time that the Dinos lived it. The front part of the area is ok to me the Childrens playground.

I always wondered if it would be worth it for them to create a Indiana Jones story for the Dinosaur attraction where he is looking for a mysterious fossil or something I dunno. The attraction needs a different story or presentation IMO.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    My biggest issue with Dinoland is you have a great lore with Dinosaurs and the best they would do is a Carnival side show theme and a clone of Indy that's just IMO aweful. They should have gone the route of creating the period of time that the Dinos lived it. The front part of the area is ok to me the Childrens playground.

If they get rid or the carnival, and keep it to the age of or discovery of dinosaurs it would be great.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast