Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

people who ruin the experience for others

hi all,

I was at WDW for around 16 days in total earlier this month, and I had a blast, in fact already planning next years trip.

My question is with people who go often and dont know how to shut up, or people who wont obey the rules.

So Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides, love going down through the gallery, the whole ride is awesome. However more and more, i notice people saying the lines from the ride, and its ok if you're saying it in earshot of your group, but when your saying it louder than the actual attraction you are just going to ruin the ride for everyone else. Now i have ridden the ride enough times i know it off by heart, but for a lot of people this is their first visit to WDW or a theme park in general, so hearing someone else basically shouting the words faster than the ride is, just ruins it.

What do people think on that?

And the other pet peeve i noticed a lot is when people refuse to listen to the rules, the one that gets me most is when people keep taking photos with the flash on. Almost every attraction has the rule no flash photos, yet for whatever reason most people wont listen, they keep snapping away. pirates is one of the worse rides for it, because its slow and dark, spaceship earth is another one. for pirates i keep wishing i could lean forward, snatch the camera and throw it into the water..

How do you deal with people like that?

• formerly very helpful

Re: people who ruin the experience for others

I agree that people need to be more courteous to those around them. Such behavior does annoy me, but as I get older, I've learned that it's better for me to not let it bother me. I don't want my visit to be disturbed even more by getting really upset over something I can't control.

This really bugs me too. I've had success politely asking people to stop in settings like a concert or a show where it is clearly prohibited to take pictures, and where an usher could be called to ask the person to leave. But on a shorter experience like a ride, you don't have the same recourse, and I think a confrontation is apt to be more trouble than it's worth. In those cases, I just chalk it up to bad luck, and figure I'll have I try the ride again later. But if it was your only chance on the ride, you might talk to a cast member afterwards...there's a chance that a sympathetic cast member might give you a Fastpass so you can quickly ride again. It definitely doesn't hurt to ask and let Disney know if things that are making your experience less magical!

The flash pictures drive me nuts...in most cases, the flash is not going to help the picture come out at all, and practically every square inch of WDW has been photographed anyways! If you want a picture of a particular pirate from POTC, just google it!

PS -- I went to Disneyland this past summer, and I must say that I encountered much more of this type of behavior there than I have at WDW.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I know I'm personally at the point that I don't like stuff like this bother me. I expect the good and the bad with the parks and while I blame both the parks and the people equally on the behavior, I expect nothing to change on my next trip. I expect the same from my last trip. I expected it and got it on my last trip to Disneyland and I expect to get it when I visit Universal Studios in the future. I just don't let these things get my under skin.

I also tell people who are going to WDW for the first time that not everything is going to go how you plan or how you like it go. You're going to have to learn to adapt at any given moment and always come out the situation un phased. You've only got so much time in the park and you've got to move on.

There's still a lot of good in the parks given to me by both the park and the people visiting it. For something bad that happens there is usually something good that happens that cancels out any bad experience.

I remember this lady who was upset at the park operator for some line business and just stayed mad while she rode the ride. I watched her disappear letting whatever happen ruin her ride. Yes she may have smiled and laughed once inside the dark ride but she did come out with the same upset face and attitude.

I also understand it's very easy to tell someone to not let it effect them when it happens. When I'm at the park something will upset me and I'll just catch myself getting upset and then quickly shrug my shoulders and keep it moving. I am admitting something will happen that will naturally upset me but I have learned to very quickly make it a small little moment and the overall picture of being at WDW the grander moment.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Indiana Scott

It bothers me as well and it's not that I "let" it bother me or dwell on it but it is a downer in an otherwise good time. Most of the time these people are being rude just to entertain themselves.

• Minion

I've had mixed results with asking people to stop taking flash photos on dark rides. Sometimes they stop, although they usually act as though I'm asking something weird. And of course, that only has a chance of working with the people you're sitting really close to.

I used to work in a museum where flash photos were prohibited, and if WDW guests are anything like the visitors we had there, the sad truth is that most of them don't know how to turn the flash off on their own cameras.

• Heavy Breather

I thought the HM recitations were only a problem in Disneyland (First hand experience).
    But here are a list of certain types of people that just make me want to Force choke a Jawa.

-Tour Groups (not all, but the ones that are constantly singing in queues for attractions.)
    -Line cutters
    -People who are on their phone when they should be listening to an animatronic Lincoln deliver the Gettysburg Address
    -Rude and careless CM's
    -People who litter when there is a trash can right in front of them.
    -Those parents with the double strollers that they keep all of their crap in, and then leave them on a side walk blocking our path.
    -People who say they wish that they were at home.
    -Finally, parents who do not discipline their kids.

That's about it. I may remember some other things I forgot to mention, but for the sake of whatever fragment of sanity I hold onto I'm done.

I keep in mind that when engineering an experience that involves actual people, any experience, there's an upper limit to how much you can actually engineer. You can get people to stand in line easily enough, but you can't get them to stop whistling.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by renderman7 View Post

So Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides, love going down through the gallery, the whole ride is awesome. However more and more, i notice people saying the lines from the ride, and its ok if you're saying it in earshot of your group, but when your saying it louder than the actual attraction you are just going to ruin the ride for everyone else. Now i have ridden the ride enough times i know it off by heart, but for a lot of people this is their first visit to WDW or a theme park in general, so hearing someone else basically shouting the words faster than the ride is, just ruins it.

What do people think on that?
    That this didn't happen back when the attraction cost an actual E=ticket to ride. You can't turn a fine dining restaurant into an all-you-can-eat buffet and expect nothing else to change....same thing here.

Almost every attraction has the rule no flash photos, yet for whatever reason most people wont listen, they keep snapping away. pirates is one of the worse rides for it, because its slow and dark, spaceship earth is another one. for pirates i keep wishing i could lean forward, snatch the camera and throw it into the water..

How do you deal with people like that?
    That Disney needs to hire trained capuchin monkey's to snatch away camera's that flash on attractions
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

That Disney needs to hire trained capuchin monkey's to snatch away camera's that flash on attractions
    I think the simple fact that they can't create animatronic capuchin monkeys to do the camera snatching says everything that needs to be said about the situation.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Most of those people don't bother me much. They used to, but I've learned to enjoy myself regardless.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

few things:

flash on dark rides is the worst. last visit i nearly got punched out by this bald-headed macho dude in front of me on Pirates for making annoying moans everytime his wife took flash.

once i was next to this dude in line for HM at Disneyland. We waited a good 30 minutes or so and the rode ended up breaking down right when we got to the door so we waited another 30 minutes or so. he was audibly kind of let down about it, it sounded like he really wanted to ride and then during the ride itself i look over to his car in front of me and notice he was on his phone the entire ride. it baffled me.

Disney should start charging for any stroller brought into the park. the strollers get absolutely nutjob ridiculous.
    Last edited by Commander Corn; 11-13-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Corn View Post
    few things:

Disney should start charging for any stroller brought into the park. the strollers get absolutely nutjob ridiculous.
    Maybe this should be a topic of its own!
    Yes, sure lots of people here probably bring strollers to the park, but ...
    I was looking at some old films of Disneyland and of course there were always people with babies and strollers, but it's really out of control now.
    There are double/triple strollers the size of Volkswagons, and they're often used just to haul the family's stuff around - or confine and cart around kids that look like they're almost ready for their college exams! Then, of course people leave their stuff in strollers all over the park and expect DL to be responsible for them.
    The other day I saw a cast member pushing a large abandoned stroller out of the path of traffic towards "stroller parking" by Rivers of America and heard someone tell him "Push it in the water!". The cast member answered "I'm with you, sir!" with a big smile on his face.
    It's tough for other visitors, but it must also be aggravating for CMs to have to deal with these outsized strollers all the time!
    Last edited by Scarlet Spanky; 01-12-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: misspelling

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

By the way, if you LIKE people talking along with the recording on Haunted Mansion, come to the Micechat Anniversary Meet. We usually end up going on HM as a group, and it is all Micechatters, and pretty much the entire room narrates the elevator ride in unison.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

Agreed, flash pictures really bother me. You learn to deal with it though.
    I'll rise like the break of dawn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast