Is a peace sign inappropriate for a Disney-ride photo?

I just wanted to ask about this before I go on my birthday Disney trip soon. I always been curious about this. Is doing a peace sign an inappropriate thing to do while they snap a photo during a ride?

While I was in my very early teens I went to Disney with my family, went on the Buzz Lightyear ride for the first time. I done a peace sign during the photo portion of the ride (it seemed obvious so I "posed" for it). While getting off the cast member told me rudely that I was "lucky that, that photo was taken down due to my hand gesture". I said, "Excuse me?" since I was genuinely confused. And she said, "You know that it's was giving the finger in Australia. You should know better". It completely ruined my mood actually for a big part of the day.

I'm typically good girl, so for me to get in trouble really put me in a bad funk at that age. Due to this I haven't done a peace sign for any photos, or even been on the ride again. Just ruined the whole experience. Now older thinking about it makes me more mad than sad due to thinking how young and innocent and yet how rude the cast member had to be about it. It just felt being picked on even though I don't think it was her intension. However, now older I now know that doing the peace sign (the opposite way though) means something bad in the UK area.

While I did the peace sign the correct and non-offensive way, I wanted to ask if it was still considered appropriate. I mean, has other people experienced this, or maybe Cast members don't want any hand gestures during photos? It was the first and last time doing it. Due to my trip coming up it just made me suddenly remember the incident and want to ask about it due to curiosity.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: Is a peace sign inappropriate for a Disney-ride photo?

How did you give the peace sign? Were your fingers facing out from your body or in toward your body with the knuckles out? Fingers out and knuckles in should be fine. Fingers in and knuckles out is definitely the British version of flipping someone off.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

I did it the non-offensive way, fingers out, knuckles in. Basically since I was born I was raised on the 60's and 70's era of rock music and always been fascinated with the history of the era. Therefore, I liked to always do peace signs during photos.

I didn't find out there was an offensive version of the peace sign until way later though when I discovered Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Spike (who's from London) doing it the way you describe as "flipping someone off" and someone from the UK I personally know telling me as well.

Which therefore now being older kind of annoyed me that they not only ruined the experience, but also had no reason to be rude in the first place. Even if I was doing it the inappropriate way, why be so rude to a kid, especially if they had no attitude about it and seemed clueless about it?

So, that's why I wanted to ask if they are just strict about hand gestures in general (whether technically appropriate, or not).

• former CM

Japanese people frequently make the peace sign in photos.

Churchill used the same gesture to mean "V" for victory.

Sorry you encountered a weird and rude cast member. When I worked at Disneyland I hoped guests would complain about one idiot I worked with who made Disneyland worse for everyone.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Yep, like jcruise86 said, sounds like you had the misfortune of getting a rude CM. I say, next time you go, get on that ride and get your peace sign pic!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

As an Australian I can confirm that the CM is full of crap. The peace sign is the peace sign. If you gave the middle finger- thats different. Ugh

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by axle86 View Post
    As an Australian I can confirm that the CM is full of crap. The peace sign is the peace sign. If you gave the middle finger- thats different. Ugh
    Welcome to Micechat, Axle86!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah as long as the knuckles are facing you, it's the peace sign. Knuckles facing out is the rude gesture version. I've flashed peace signs in on-ride photos before and have had no issues. You just encountered a CM who didn't know the difference and was rude about it.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Disney cast members have to be trained on all of the gestures that might cause some trouble with a worldwide audience. You'll notice that they never point with one finger - always the two-finger point. But they should never freak out at you because something might cause offense in some other country. Go ahead and do the peace sign, and good luck to you!

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Obviously that CM has never had anyone from Asia on their watch because they are notorious for doing the peace sign in pictures. And yea that CM was in the wrong.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M