Disney Villain Park?

I don't know if this story gives any credibility to the possible WDW Fifth Theme Park Rumor, but it is a good one to tell nonetheless...

I was a student cast member during the Fall of 97, and during one of the seminars we were asked to envision any new ideas for WDW and expand on it. My friend Lindsay and I started to do some research AND started realizing that our generation will not be as inclined to visit WDW as the Baby Boomers, for various reasons. That Disney really needed a push in another direction, keeping with the unparalleled themes and experience.

We figured that the next step would be a park with more thrills, like MGMs Tower, but with a reason for those thrills... We excitedly realized that a park based on the Disney villians would give just that reason.

We set out and created a five or six page detailed plan that included ride ideas, such as the big icon being Snow White's Apple with a rollercoaster inside to a rollercoaster theme using Ursula's tenticles....we talked about the turnstiles and the bathrooms that emitted smoke every time you flushed.

Knowing that we had a unique idea, we presented it to the teachers and waited for some kind of feedback. Things started to get really odd around that time. We were asked a lot more detailed type questions about our park idea...and then nothing.

I was working at MGM's auto plaza at the time, and told the story to my managers (who I was really close to, as I had joined their band as one of the lead singers to fill in for one who was sick at the time)...and he was really excited about the idea, and started talking about telling other people. In the meantime, he took me on a tour of DAK (drove around perimeters) before it opened, and then said he was going to schedule a meeting with an imagineer friend of his who told my manager that we could draw up plans and present the idea to whoever their boss was.

The date was set, and as I walked into this meeting, I was met by my manager who told me that the whole thing was canceled...that I was a Disney employee and they would remind me that (the lawyers, I am assuming) all ideas created while an employee were Disney property and that if it was something that was going to happen, it wasn't mine.

Which really was frustrating, because I didn't want to "own" the idea or anything, I just wanted to take part in the process of presenting it and seeing where it was going. I understood that legal issues that I had signed when I became employeed there.

After I came home from the experience, I found a couple of rumor sites and I posted the same ideas and thoughts there. I recently have been looking to see if the rumor is still alive and see that it is, so just wanted to share my story with everyone.

As to if I would love to see Disney open a fifth park based on the Villains...of course I would, I loved that idea almost 10 years ago...seeing it come to life would secretly make me feel like I played a small role in it.

• meganmegaphone

Re: Disney Villain Park?

I think it would be cool if they did an overlay of all of Toontown where the villans take over, or something to that effect. I think a whole park wouldd be a little much though.

I've been hearing this buzz about a villan park/area a lot lately...

"Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

I truly hope -- and believe -- that no new WDW park will be built for at least a decade or more. I say never is fine with me. Just improve what's there and sorely needs additions.

• Disney Prince

hate to poop on your parade but, A villain theme park would be just as if not even more creatively limited as a theme park based on california. it would just be aesthetically not pleasing to have an ENTIRE theme park based on them not to mention having a giant apple as an icon (which wouldn't make sense at all). Forgive me for going all Simon Cowell on you.

• ...TWO BITS!

Personally, a Villain land overlay on Toontown would be a great "test" to see if guests appreciate it. Then Disney should move on to making a Villains land if the test is successful. Kind of like Club Buzz to Buzz ride. Disney Afternoon to Toontown. A Villains park, I'm not too sure about.

Here's a post I recently made on what I (and others) think would make a good Villains land at DLR. http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...688#post456688

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• defenestrate

That would be a great thing for them to do to disneyland for haloween, you know how knotts had knotss scary farm, well if disneyland became villan themed around haloween i might pay to see that i don't think i would pay to go to an all villian all year park though, but it is a fun idea

• insufferable know-it-all

I don't understand why we keep wanting to pen the Villains together.

Mind you, I'm guilty of the idea myself, but the major problem I envision with that is that EVERY story needs compelling villains to work, so if the Villains are all in one land, then they'll be out of place in the other lands, and there'll be no one left to move the other stories forward.

Now, say you want to do a dark "villains' forest" part of Fantasyland, that would make more sense, because all the characters and stories are still in one land, and therefore thematically could cross over.

For example, perhaps you wanted to do Mad Madam Mim's cottage or something. That'd work. Or Forbidden Mountain, home of Maleficent. Well, in the same land as Sleeping Beauty's castle, that makes some sense.

On the other hand, trying to lump Shere Khan, Hades, the Evil Queen, Cruella DeVil, and Jafar together in one land creates some SERIOUS theming issues. Even in one park, if villains are all there is.

It's not a bad idea, at its core. One dark land/park, where everything is scary and villains rule the roost sounds like a great idea. Like a Disney Halloween. However, it just doesn't work. You can't have heroes without villains and vice versa.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• ...TWO BITS!

Totally agree with you Morrigoon.

There are those who said it would be great to go to one land where they know disney villains would be. I also had the concern of themeing issues if a villain land was built. Would villains seem odd to have in Fantasyland. In fact, I can only think of Villains being seen in Fantasyland, Main Entrance, Parades, Shows, a few rides, and Fantasmic.

So perhaps there is sense to make a land for them???? A whole park for Disney Villains would probably be a bit overboard. But a land COULD be possible.

purplefroggie, I think WDW and DCA are having annual Mickey's-Not-So-Scary-Halloween events. DCA is still tweaking theirs. Were you thinking of this, or an overlay like the X-mas overlay? With the X-mas overlay, the decorations stay up around Thanksgiving to New Years. With Halloween, maybe mid-september to early November? I think DLP does this with pumpkin men and witches.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Banned User

This story explains where every Disney Villains theme park rumor ever came from that you've heard. (If it is true as you say it is) Unfortunately, it is my opinion that nothing will ever happen with the project. Why? I know people who have visited Imagineering, played roles in creating the new parks, and they have looked at every theme park concept that was ever seriously looked at. The Villains Park simply does not exist as a valid concept that any time was ever given to at WDI. There have never been any plans for a Villains park. Your story explains where this rumor came from. (That has taken the internet by storm) But there are no valid facts that Disney Imagineering ever looked at this concept and was serious about it.

• Banned User

i think a villains land or area would be a cool idea but not inMk. maybe mgm and it could then look at movie villains as a whole. now that would be fun to me.

• WDW FAN

When I was at DLP in Nov 97, their Frontierland had been transformed into a Halloween type ghost town.

• defenestrate

purplefroggie, I think WDW and DCA are having annual Mickey's-Not-So-Scary-Halloween events. DCA is still tweaking theirs. Were you thinking of this, or an overlay like the X-mas overlay? With the X-mas overlay, the decorations stay up around Thanksgiving to New Years. With Halloween, maybe mid-september to early November? I think DLP does this with pumpkin men and witches.[/quote]

i was thinking like the x-mas overlay. i have never been there arounf haloween, and don't know what they already do, but i think that a villan themed haloween would be fun. I very much enjoyed watching the white witch from narnia signing books for kids in fanasyland. she held the book just out of this 6 year old's reach and just stared icily at him as he reached for it. highly entertaining. (he did get it eventualy, his dad helped)

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If DCA becomes more evocative of Disney movie themes, I think Paradise Pier can become Pleasure Island, as I said in a recent thread. That would be a more suitable test of the publics appetite for Villainry than an overlay of Mickey's Beloved ToonTown, which would spoil the whole place for the todler set. I think the adults need to look at Knott's Scary Farm for this kind of thing as Disney is too family friendly to get into this.

And it would look like a carnival, Ursula's spinners, and Snow White Roller Coasters. It would be much WORSE than Walt's vision of P.I. in Pinnochio. Which, 50+ years of nostalgia later, looks quaint and fun and whimsical not scary and dark and dangerous.

• Banned User

Hmm, let's turn Paradise Pier into a place for little boys to make jackasses of themselves... smart. Real smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    This story explains where every Disney Villains theme park rumor ever came from that you've heard. (If it is true as you say it is) Unfortunately, it is my opinion that nothing will ever happen with the project. Why? I know people who have visited Imagineering, played roles in creating the new parks, and they have looked at every theme park concept that was ever seriously looked at. The Villains Park simply does not exist as a valid concept that any time was ever given to at WDI. There have never been any plans for a Villains park. Your story explains where this rumor came from. (That has taken the internet by storm) But there are no valid facts that Disney Imagineering ever looked at this concept and was serious about it.
    Thank you. I've been saying (and posting this on various Disney forums for years).

This is an uber-fanboy Internet myth that just won't die.