View Poll Results: Predict the reaction to MyMagic+ (vote4more than1)

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will quietly improve visits for hotel guests who opt in

16 20.25%
  • It'll improve hotel guests' visits but irritate others

25 31.65%
  • It'll get media attention as Disney's botched ride system

40 50.63%
  • It'll lead to the ouster of Iger, Staggs, Crofton and Rasulo

22 27.85%
  • It'll be copied by Universal, Busch G, 6 Flags & Cedar Fair

9 11.39%
  • The MagicBands will be phased out by SmartPhone Apps

14 17.72%
  • It'll be associated with WDW's attraction stagnation

29 36.71%
  • MagicBands will catch on & be required to be worn by all US citizens always

5 6.33%
  • The three-attraction option will lead to unltd. Fastpasses for $$$$

18 22.78%
  • Theme parks & pre-planned daily schedules will break up

9 11.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• former CM

^^Hey, Jcruise86 from three weeks ago! Since you posted post #15, Disney Animal Kingdom has done away with paper Fastpasses. So your dream of continuing to use FPs on lots of E-tickets might be coming an end unless future Jcruise86 gets rich.

Insights on FP, MagicBands, & MyMagic+
    from anyone who has actually visited WDW during
    mid-to-late December of 2013 or in 2014 will be appreciated!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 12-19-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: to marry my wit to a variety of cute little face icons

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: How will WDW's MyMagic+ be received over the next two years?

When visiting in November, I saw many guests happily/willingly using the Magic Band to enter parks and at ride entrances over the course of 7 days - mostly mixed groups of adults with young children. I personally chose not to use it and see it as unnecessary addition to spend all that money on, but it seems the family market disagrees and welcomes it for being a 'all in one' tool that also means can schedule fastpasses and get a 'hard' itinerary going for each and every day months in advance. Sad to say I think it will keep getting refined and stick around - I only hope they offer options to the guest who doesn't want the band and being forced into planning everything down to the minute 6 months out, doesn't force the 'casual' exploratory visit into extinction.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    When visiting in November, I saw many guests happily/willingly using the Magic Band to enter parks and at ride entrances over the course of 7 days - mostly mixed groups of adults with young children. I personally chose not to use it and see it as unnecessary addition to spend all that money on, but it seems the family market disagrees and welcomes it for being a 'all in one' tool that also means can schedule fastpasses and get a 'hard' itinerary going for each and every day months in advance.
    I the reason is we don't represent the general guests.

We new how to use FP, they didn't and now they do. So we are hurt they are happy.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• #bringevilback

I'm going in feb and was hoping to stay away from FP+ but since they did the AK test I decided I better make my selection before they make the tiers any worse or add them to MK or AK. Thankfully I'm a DLR regular so I can skip Soarin and TSMM but having to pick one e ticket for FP and doing the rest sb is terrible! Also, only making selections in one park is frustrating. My only hope is they don't do away with paper fp in any more parks before my trip!

• Under that tree again!

Did anyone see the positive reviews the celebs gave during the Christmas Parade this morning on ABC?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

I'm not as concerned with it ruining my trip in terms of having to plan everything. My beef is that Disney World isn't getting new attractions. The parks are stagnating, particularly Future World. My Magic Plus is a symptom of a larger problem: This management group doesn't believe they'll get a return on the investments in all four parks. They're doing Avatar and just did New Fantasyland, but there are issues all over the place that should be addressed.

By focusing on My Magic Plus, they're pushing aside what's really needed in the parks. The FP system was not the issue; the reason crowds aren't distributed properly is because they're let second-tier attractions go downhill. That should be the focus going forward.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Did anyone see the positive reviews the celebs gave during the Christmas Parade this morning on ABC?
    I felt like I was watching a commercial!

My coworker, who I call "The Godmother", went to WDW this past fall and used the Magic Bands. She loved it! I heard her today praising the system to our manager, who will be going next spring. While she was talking about how it knows where you are, I thought to myself, "And that doesn't worry you?" But what she loved was the convenience of not having to carry her purse and wallet. I'm guessing she had a dining plan, but she was able to make purchases and not worry about losing her wallet or risk losing her purse to a thief. I guess this system will have both pros and cons.

i'm staying at WDW right now and this stuff was forced on me on arrival. i had heard about it and i knew there was controversy about it but i had no idea it was this disastrous. at the moment it isn't as bad of a fiasco as it is eventually going to be, because the original FP systems is more or less still in place.

one of the worst things about this is how My Disney Experience works. i'm here with a pretty large group of people but i am only going to the parks with 2 others. everyday so far we've gone to the concierge to reserve FP+ and it ends up reserving our passes for the entire group, and vice-versa when they reserve their FP+ it screws up ours. in our conversations with cast members who's supposed job it is to actually know about this stuff it's very clear that no one in Disney has any idea how this system works and it's been endlessly confusing. in the beginning we kept asking CM's about whether we could still use the old FP system with the bands or not and nobody gave us a clear answer. one lady basically gave us an answer of "well you can but we don't want you to." once the original FP system is completely gone this is going to completely undermine WDW in my eyes and i'm not going to be coming here very frequently anymore.

I think people like me, who actually enjoy planning trips (11 month advance DVC res and 6 month rest. reservations) and only visit a park once or twice a year, will love the new system. It's convenient in the sense that I really don't need anything in my pocket when I leave a Disney hotel and It's very simple to get FP's, no real strategy needed. On the other hand, for AP holders who sometimes just pick up and go for a day or two on a whim, this could be frustrating since you probably know the best ways to take advantage of the current fast pass system and a limit of three makes it almost impossible to manipulate the system to your favor. Seems like this is a play for occasional park visitors. Maybe Disney thinks they are safe with their biggest fans and AP holders and are having competition issues with the once-every-2-years crowd.

I really hope this doesn't turn in to a front-of-the-line-for-every-ride-if-you-pay-more type system like Universal has. I like the idea that everyone pays to get in and then a level playing field for all. That said, I always spring for the front of the line passes because I hate waiting in line, but then I feel like an a$$ when we cut some family waiting line. I would rather they just didn't offer it so I wasn't tempted to buy it :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Amahal420 View Post
    I think people like me, who actually enjoy planning trips (11 month advance DVC res and 6 month rest. reservations) and only visit a park once or twice a year, will love the new system. It's convenient in the sense that I really don't need anything in my pocket when I leave a Disney hotel and It's very simple to get FP's, no real strategy needed. On the other hand, for AP holders who sometimes just pick up and go for a day or two on a whim, this could be frustrating since you probably know the best ways to take advantage of the current fast pass system and a limit of three makes it almost impossible to manipulate the system to your favor. Seems like this is a play for occasional park visitors. Maybe Disney thinks they are safe with their biggest fans and AP holders and are having competition issues with the once-every-2-years crowd.
    I tend to agree with this. It very much seems like MyMagic+ takes all the spontaneity out of a trip to WDW...however I'm afraid to say that that is just how it is these days. I go to WDW once a year and so many damn restaurants at both parks and hotels get booked soooo far in advance it's hard to just "play it by ear" as you go. I am a huge planner, but this fact kinda pisses me off. So, like Amahal420 said, I think the MyMAgic+ program will be a positive thing for people who like to plan ahead and have peace of mind that things are in place. However, for many others it will be/is an unnecessary hassle.

I'm just a little worried that MyMagic+ will eventually become self aware and take over the planet like Skynet.

Quote Originally Posted by Amahal420 View Post
    I really hope this doesn't turn in to a front-of-the-line-for-every-ride-if-you-pay-more type system like Universal has. I like the idea that everyone pays to get in and then a level playing field for all. That said, I always spring for the front of the line passes because I hate waiting in line, but then I feel like an a$$ when we cut some family waiting line. I would rather they just didn't offer it so I wasn't tempted to buy it :-(
    Agree with this! One of the (many) things I dislike about Universal is their pay-to-get-to-the-front-of-the-line system. It's just so CRASS - like UNIVERSAL!

Anyway, we're going down to WDW again in March and are looking forward to trying out the Magic Bands. I honestly don't know what the big stink is about it. I'm sure that there will be some hiccups in implementation, but that's normal. ...and I'm completely bewildered by folks who think that they're not spending enough on new attractions: New Fantasyland? Carsland/DCA? Shanghai? Disney has invested billions in new attractions in the past few years. More than that is just not reasonable.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsthegoodword View Post
    . . . I'm completely bewildered by folks who think that they're not spending enough on new attractions: New Fantasyland? Carsland/DCA? Shanghai? Disney has invested billions in new attractions in the past few years. More than that is just not reasonable.
    I don't think they've invested enough money and intelligent creativity into Walt Disney World in the last 12 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I don't think they've invested enough money and intelligent creativity into Walt Disney World in the last 12 or so years.

So you're not thrilled about Avatar-land at DAK?

We visited all four WDW parks last weekend. We usually visit both WDW and Disneyland twice a year. I don't think our experience was significantly improved by the new system. It even created several headaches that resulted in visits to guest relations. I'm guessing they could build cars land twice for what they spent on this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast