View Poll Results: Predict the reaction to MyMagic+ (vote4more than1)

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will quietly improve visits for hotel guests who opt in

16 20.25%
  • It'll improve hotel guests' visits but irritate others

25 31.65%
  • It'll get media attention as Disney's botched ride system

40 50.63%
  • It'll lead to the ouster of Iger, Staggs, Crofton and Rasulo

22 27.85%
  • It'll be copied by Universal, Busch G, 6 Flags & Cedar Fair

9 11.39%
  • The MagicBands will be phased out by SmartPhone Apps

14 17.72%
  • It'll be associated with WDW's attraction stagnation

29 36.71%
  • MagicBands will catch on & be required to be worn by all US citizens always

5 6.33%
  • The three-attraction option will lead to unltd. Fastpasses for $$$$

18 22.78%
  • Theme parks & pre-planned daily schedules will break up

9 11.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• former CM

How will WDW's MyMagic+ be received over the next two years?

No one really knows the answer to this, but what do you predict? You may vote for more than one since answers aren't all mutually exclusive.

I didn't word the last option clearly. By "break up" I imagined the possibility of MyMagic+ being so publicly unpopular (as new Coke was decades ago) that Disney would do a 180 and sell the idea that people like to be spontaneous at theme parks, and so Disney would move away from pushing pre-planned daily schedules. If this were to happen I could still imagine Disney quietly expanding the unlimited Fastpass option for more guests who pay $$$ (and not just $$$$) at their resorts.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-06-2013 at 12:41 AM.

• Heavy Breather

Re: How will WDW's MyMagic+ be received over the next two years?

I hope it fails and fades into obscurity. It'll be a failed experiment, like Disneyland's Light Magic parade, or Journey into (Your) Imagination.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

For the last option, I meant that theme parks will come to be viewed as places where guests like to be more spontaneous, and then Disney will move away from encouraging pre-planned daily schedules.
    I really hope Disney does see that light someday. Universal has managed to keep spontaneity in their parks even with long lines in Harry Potter. I absolutely hate how you can't go into a table service restaurant anymore without a 180-day-in-advance reservation. I don't think most people even plan a Disney vacation that far in advance.

This MyMagic+ thing will be tricky. I can tell right off the bat that the results will be different for Magic Kingdom compared to the other three parks. The reason being because Magic Kingdom has more high-demand attractions. With the three reservations per day the selection of attractions that people will reserve will be larger and thus more spread out.

With the other three parks however...there are only a handful of attractions and 2-3 must dos that the majority who take part in this program will no doubt use their three reservations on.

I can even list them in order...

Epcot:
    1. Soarin (this will be #1 as it is the most popular ride in the park)
    2. Test Track
    3. ???? (could be either Mission Space, Nemo, or Maelstrom)

Studios:
    1. Toy Story Mania
    2. Star Tours
    3. Tower of Terror
    (RnR Coaster would be 4th)

Animal Kingdom
    1. Expedition Everest
    2. Kilomanjaro Safaris
    3. ???? (Kali River Rapids or Festival of Lion King)

I'm willing to bet that 95-99% of the people who take part in FP+ program will be going by a similar list as to which three per park per day. If they are only distributing a certain number of FP+ reservations for certain time periods or even a certain day, this could either be a disaster or a blessing. I would take a side on this except I'm not exactly sure how this is gonna play out.

I do know that for the three second gates I wouldn't be able to step in anymore w/o taking part in FP+.

My family and I hate it. We are visiting now and we don't like having everything planned out. We also don't have a smart phone because we can't afford the plans and we noticed at MGM (and yes I still call it that) had very few kiosks and they were packed.

By the time someone at the info explained how to use the fast passes there all of Toy Story was out and the paper fastpasses were as well. No one explained the wristband to us when we checked it other than the fact how to get in and out of our room and use it for food/getting into the parks so we were a little lost. When we booked we were told that our hotel wasn't on the list yet but surprise!

And I get the fact that paper fastpasses will be done away with. I don't like being told that everytime I get one. I get it but my family and I are not tech savvy nor have smartphones to choose stuff. The workers at the fp kiosks need to not be so rude.

Also I find it pointless to have a fp+ for every single ride. I mean Star Tours had a 5 min wait today and we rode it twice. The most I saw the standby line when we passed was 20 mins. Aerosmith and TOT had an hr wait. The Great Movie ride does not need a stupid fp+. I was like really? Anywho that is my rant and what I have seen so far on my trip. Very disappointed.

Oh and I went out about an hour ago on 535 to get some gas and lottery tickets and when I got back to my resort they scanned my wristband instead of seeing my photo ID like they used to. I'm sorry but Disney doesn't need to know my every move.

• former CM

Thanks for the details Toonaspie! I just changed my first post that you responded to to clarify it.

And thank you, Timon's Girl--I could relate to your frustration over the tech! We just got smart phones because my wife needed one for work, but otherwise I would have avoided getting one. I miss making eye contact with people and imagine the little screens that they always stare at might suddenly take over their brains.

Last edited by jcruise86; 11-28-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: typo

• MaliBOOMer

FP+ Scares me. I hope it ever makes it out to Disneyland. FP+ is a significant downgrade from the current FP system. If I were visiting WDW I would do everything in my power to avoid it and use the current FPís as long as I can. With FP+ you only get 3 E-Tickets per day? If that is the case it is significantly lower than what you get with current FPís. In August I will be going to Universal Orlando, not to Disney World. I donít think I will visit Disney world again. The FP+ system seriously cramps my style, and as long as FP+ is there I won't be.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Also view this as a downgrade. Before, I could get passes for 3 mountains, Buzz, Jungle Cruise. Now, I'll need to wait in line for 2/5 for an hour, plus summer Mansion waits can reach 40. Used to also be able to ride Toy Story 4 times in a day (rope drop, sprint, FP, ride, later FP, late night ride). Losing that extra FP hurts there.

The people who are hurt the most by this are the kids who's parents use fastpass on their own top rides and then wait 50 minutes for Peter Pan.

• former CM

Staggs: “Hey ‘guests’–no, NOT YOU! ‘Guests’ means our HOTEL guests!
    Let’s kill this ‘Everyone is a VIP’ nonsense!”

Although in the long run the system will probably be adjusted to fit the desires of “guests,” in the short and even medium run, this might be seen as the equivalent of 3 or 4 John Carter-scale box office bombs combined, and shorten some Disney careers. Maybe that's Iger's plan. Let Staggs, the current frontrunner for my $30 million-a-year job, be the point man for this failure so I can stick around a few more years. Maybe that already happened, though this last week in Washington showed that the very top person can get the blame for an unimpressive computer program. The unaffordable theme park doesn't care act.

They promised just waving bands in front of polls to get into the parks more quickly. Sooooo, how about that new Diagon Alley and the train that takes us there.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-06-2013 at 12:58 AM.

• former CM

Here's a Micechat article about MyMagic+:
    Disney's My Magic Plus Failure

Kevin Yee has recently posted two more upbeat articles too.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Thanks for the details Toonaspie! I just changed my first post that you responded to to clarify it.

And thank you, Timon's Girl--I could relate to your frustration over the tech! We just got smart phones because my wife needed one for work, but otherwise I would have avoided getting one. I miss making eye contact with people and imagine the little screens that they always stare at might suddenly take over their brains.

And while I'm ranting about tech, there was a recent article on Slate.com about Apple deliberately making their expensive products to quickly become outdated. We got Iphone4s a few months ago, but at the Apple store I was just advised that they don't work well with the new, free, highly publicized Apple operating system that's supposed to be so much better.
    Off topic, but the 4s came out 2 years ago, and they work fine with iOS7.

On topic, I imagine the MyMagic+ system gets modified into something that's a lot more useable on the fly, probably with better smart phone support and not needing a wrist band.

• Minion

ORDDU: When my sisters and I first heard about this My Magic Plus idea we were appalled. The idea of pre-planning your resort stay takes all the spontaneous excitement away.

ORWEN: Plus it didn't sound like it was being fair to the days guests if they would be treated like the 'little red headed stepchildren' who got less magic for the tragic.

ORDDU: But just today we were talking to a seemingly knowlegable cast member who hinted that--after the first testing phase for resort guests has been completed--there are plans to also test it for regular day guests so that they, too, can be included to take part in whatever benefits there are. So it's too soon for us to conclude anything at this point.

ORGOCH: 'cept fer the fact I ain't NEVER gonna' let somebody make me wait ta git a fast pass ta go frog huntin' off Tom Sawdust Island!!! I'll do that whenever I says so--not when somebody else tells me I can!!!

• Artistic integrity

I have been reading posts about this new system for a few years now .. and all I can think about is - How is a reservation system to old rides suppose to lure me back to WDW ... vs. building new attractions to lure me back?

Universal Orlando is earning my respect.

Disney on the other hand - No!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

MyMagic blows so much. I simply cannot understand a billion dollar system that offers practically no tangible benefit to the consumer. This will cost jobs in the end.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
    My family and I hate it. We are visiting now and we don't like having everything planned out. We also don't have a smart phone because we can't afford the plans and we noticed at MGM (and yes I still call it that) had very few kiosks and they were packed.

By the time someone at the info explained how to use the fast passes there all of Toy Story was out and the paper fastpasses were as well. No one explained the wristband to us when we checked it other than the fact how to get in and out of our room and use it for food/getting into the parks so we were a little lost. When we booked we were told that our hotel wasn't on the list yet but surprise!

And I get the fact that paper fastpasses will be done away with. I don't like being told that everytime I get one. I get it but my family and I are not tech savvy nor have smartphones to choose stuff. The workers at the fp kiosks need to not be so rude.

Also I find it pointless to have a fp+ for every single ride. I mean Star Tours had a 5 min wait today and we rode it twice. The most I saw the standby line when we passed was 20 mins. Aerosmith and TOT had an hr wait. The Great Movie ride does not need a stupid fp+. I was like really? Anywho that is my rant and what I have seen so far on my trip. Very disappointed.

Oh and I went out about an hour ago on 535 to get some gas and lottery tickets and when I got back to my resort they scanned my wristband instead of seeing my photo ID like they used to. I'm sorry but Disney doesn't need to know my every move.
    So here is the real very important question Timon's Girl....

Did you win the lottery? You said you bought tickets, I hope you at least won something.

• former CM

Everyone loves tiers and different font sizes!

I like Toonaspie's list of top WDW attractions, in his abridged post below.
    I appreciate the classic Fastpass system because at Disneyland it lets me get on at least two or three of the most popular attractions more quickly.

Below is Toonaspie's list, and I wonder if I'll still be able to ride the my top 3 attractions with "classic Fastpass" in the summer of 2014?

I like the "old" Fastpass system because it is accessed with knowledge rather than by money. I believe that a higher % of teachers are even smarter than a higher % of wealthy people (no evidence, btw) and the classic Fastpasses were made for rewarding information gatherers. Yay, middle-class teachers!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I really hope Disney does see that light someday. Universal has managed to keep spontaneity in their parks even with long lines in Harry Potter. I absolutely hate how you can't go into a table service restaurant anymore without a 180-day-in-advance reservation. I don't think most people even plan a Disney vacation that far in advance.

This MyMagic+ thing will be tricky . . . Magic Kingdom has more high-demand attractions. With the three reservations per day the selection of attractions that people will reserve will be larger and thus more spread out.

With the other three parks however...there are only a handful of attractions and 2-3 must dos. . .

I can even list them in order...

Epcot:
    1. Soarin (this will be #1 as it is the most popular ride in the park)
    2. Test Track
    3. ???? (could be either Mission Space. . .

Studios:
    1. Toy Story Mania
    2. Star Tours
    3. Tower of Terror
    (RnR Coaster would be 4th)

Animal Kingdom
    1. Expedition Everest
    2. Kilomanjaro Safaris
    3. ???? (Kali River Rapids or Festival of Lion King)

I'm willing to bet that 95-99% of the people who take part in FP+ program will be going by a similar list as to which three per park per day. If. . .

I do know that for the three second gates I wouldn't be able to step in anymore w/o taking part in FP+.
    Thanks again for that list, Toonaspie!

Now let's
    (please ) talk tiers, tiers, tiers.

Two questions:
    1. If
    we visited Walt Disney World as out-of-staters
    and our biggest goal was to hit our favorite two or three most popular attractions in each park,

wouldn't we be better off using the classic Fastpass option?
    (I hate the tiers. "Oh boy, Fastpass for Teacups.")
    2. Will classic Fastpasses still be around in the summer of 2014?
    (I'm hoping that Rasulo, Iger, Staggs and Crofton--RISC--won't be around in the summer of 2014.)

If the MyMagic+ changes are annoying any of you Central Floridians,
    remember that today
    you can have a drink or three
    at the Beauty and the Beast restaurant, at one of the monorail hotels or the Wilderness Lodge,
    then ride Small World
    over
    and over
    and over.

Last edited by jcruise86; 11-28-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast