View Poll Results: What would be better for me?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flexible DVC ownership

7 63.64%
  • House

4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Under that tree again!

If you were me would you rather have DVC points or a house in Golden Oaks?

I go to Florida about 1.5 times a year. About 17 nights. I don't have kids but may at some unseen point. I do have a niece and nephew so probably another solid 7 year of visits before they want different trips. I do visit DLR often and could use DVC points in the GCH but usually plan at too short of notice to use them.

A house would be an investment too, but at the bloated price may not appreciate greatly over time.

What would you do if you were me?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Minion

Re: If you were me would you rather have DVC points or a house in Golden Oaks?

I say the DVC it gives you more options. Unless of course you love Florida and want to live there.

• Minion

that would be one heck of a retirement home...

I don't know for the investment to be truly worth it I would say you would need to be there at least a month out of the year. plus I believe you could rent the property out to family or maybe close friends to make a little extra scratch but I don't think they allow short term renters.

NEITHER is an investment, so the way to think of it is 'how do I get the most bang for my entertainment dollar?"

I don't think buying 'on-site' real-estate is worth the expense, given that you could stay in monorail concierge rooms for less, and have all those helpful castmembers hanging out to do all the things like... everything...

Not sure how DVC points work out. Could be good. Could be bad. Really need to sit down with a spreadsheet and work the numbers...

• former CM

Neither. Donate the money to Doctors Without Borders.
    Then return to me for further instructions.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Stick with the DVC points. If the family gets bored with Orlando, you can use the points in Aulani Hawaii, Vero Beach and Hilton Head Island resorts.

Plus you can do a different resort every WDW trip if you wanted to.

Id choose the house, if you could afford it. I just looked at the virtual tours of some of the houses, and I loved all of them.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Save enough for hotels then go with the Doctors without Borders suggestion for the rest.

• Under that tree again!

I can assure everyone I donate plenty. I'm just not going to say how and to whom. It's my preference.

I can in the future sell the house, or sell the points. They could both be investments but not make money as both require costs to purchase and use.

The DVC points do give flexibility, but so does the house, I could keep my poncho in the closet there, not repack it or buy one over and over again.

I can't rent the house, but could lend it to family and friend so it would get more use than three weeks a year. I could do the same with DVC points but it's limited to how many point I have which may be none after I use them.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• former CM

If you're going to lend it to family and friends you're going to have a surprising # of family members & friends when word gets out that you are lending out a beautiful house inside of Walt Disney World for free. (BTW, Swampy, though we've just exchanged often snippy posts on Micechat, I consider you one of my best friends, buddy!)

I've observed that many people with beautiful houses or condos in beautiful vacation areas decide after a few years, "We might as well rent it out and earn some money from it." Then the renters always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS
    .trash the place and the owners lose their love for the whole deal.

On the other hand, as you stated, you could keep your pancho in the closet there. I get disposable ponchos that fit comfortably into my back pocket and cost about a buck. But it would be so worth buying a million dollars house if I didn't have to go through that hell AND if I could save $5 on ponchos once a year.

But seriously, it might be a good investment. A lot of people love Disney, but I'd feel better about it if it were about 1985 and I thought a young, competitive Michael Eisner & Frank Wells were going to try and dramatically improve Walt Disney World. I'm not feeling very optimistic about WDW's future right now with the later Eisner's spawn running the show. With more cash you could stay at a suite at Universal for part of your Orlando area vacation and get free unlimited Orlando Fastpasses ("Potter passes"?) for you and yer kinfolk.

My brother got the DVC at Old Key West and loved if for about the first four years, then seemed to regret it after that.

Have you been on a Disney Cruise? Treat you niece and nephew to a Disney Cruise to Alaska or the Mediterranean. Maybe give their parents a break and let "Uncy Swampy" become their favorite relative.

Toonaspie makes a good case for DVC above, but imagine treating the kids the Wilderness Lodge, the Polynesian and the Animal Kingdom Lodge resorts on three different trips over the next three years. And then a trip to California with three or more nights at the Grand Californian--but only two or three days in the parks. (There's so much more to do here!) Then Tokyo and Hong Kong. And then London and Paris with Paris Disneyland for three nights. They'd probably appreciate this more, especially as they got older. Let the world stimulate their minds. And if you need more family members, my wife, daughter and I could all pretend to be cousins! We're all part-time actors, though what we really want to do is direct. . . your vacations.

It's excellent that you have such pleasant options, Swampymarsh!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-06-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: I'm trying to make my extremely helpful post perfect for Swampy who might lend his Golden Oaks house to friends!

• Disneyland 19 year APH

DVC has more than one location.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    NEITHER is an investment, so the way to think of it is 'how do I get the most bang for my entertainment dollar?"

I don't think buying 'on-site' real-estate is worth the expense, given that you could stay in monorail concierge rooms for less, and have all those helpful castmembers hanging out to do all the things like... everything...

Not sure how DVC points work out. Could be good. Could be bad. Really need to sit down with a spreadsheet and work the numbers...
    last time i checked buying property is a significant investment...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I can assure everyone I donate plenty. I'm just not going to say how and to whom. It's my preference.

I can in the future sell the house, or sell the points. They could both be investments but not make money as both require costs to purchase and use.

The DVC points do give flexibility, but so does the house, I could keep my poncho in the closet there, not repack it or buy one over and over again.

I can't rent the house, but could lend it to family and friend so it would get more use than three weeks a year. I could do the same with DVC points but it's limited to how many point I have which may be none after I use them.
    thats my point though when your lending to friends how is disney going to know they tossed you say half the price of a hotel room a night to stay there? it can be both a long term investment with short term income potential to cover at least some of your yearly residency costs. those fees and taxes can certainly add up over time if you don't find a way to cover them.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    DVC has more than one location.
    Personally, a vacation home close to nature sounds more appealing, I wouldn't tie up my money in a time share, DVC or otherwise or for an expensive suburban tract home near theme parks, away from where you live... Unless its gated and has full security. Even then blech. Rather stay in a new hotel every time and have a cabin somewhere remote.

• Under that tree again!

I'm ethical as a business owner and professional. I won't break rules to make a profit. Golden Oaks does not allow you to rent your home.

I takes my sister's family, or part of them with me often. I buy my niece and nephew APs, they live a short drive from DL, so I often pick them up after school on Friday and spend the weekend in a hotel on Harbor. I take them to WDW, and on DCL. They won't get anything truly new.

DVC as I see it means I would stay mainly at once resort, as the points have the most value at home, but can try other Disney Resorts with them. That is good there is built in flexibility.

Downside is I could use the points for DCL, or some resort in Mexico, they do have tradability. But cost wise, points applied outside DVC have terrible value. I am better paying cash for those things. Still need to make reservations.

Golden Oaks, would afford me more privacy. It's mine, I'm not sharing it. It's much more than a suite or condo, it's a full house. Private pool, garage parking. I can leave wardrobes there and fly without luggage. I can keep a car there when I want to drive to the ocean. Aspirin and wine when I need it in the cupboards. Does have perks that only owners can get. It will be available anytime I want. It should be really quiet.

Downside is it several times more expensive. No Disney pools. I will only live there and not stay in different resorts. It will be empty most of the time.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast