Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

You're giving them far too much credit. They don't have a plan.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I think the 50th has nothing to do with it; Disney management is letting WDW stagnate because it's their business model. As long as they can keep packing in the customers with a business model of bare-bones minimum investment, they won't see a need to upgrade.

To their mindset, of course, it isn't "stagnation." They see it as maximizing the ROI for their physical plant. To Disney management, "improvement" means MyMagic+, NextGen and the rest of their beancounter initiatives designed to jam more customers through the same tired facilities, effectively squeezing more gold from the same goose.
    RV (the movie) part 17 (ENDING) - YouTube
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

ORDDU: Epcot is most certainly stagnating. But there are rumors of hope for DHS & Animal Kingdom. In the meantime the Magic Kingdom is getting some bandaids. Considering the economy in America right now, perhaps everyone should be grateful just for that!

• Sock Puppet

Did any of you read post 3?

• Minion

ORDDU: I read it--and even agree with it to a certain extent. It's just that everyone has a different opinion of what stagnate means.

• former CM

Here's post #3:
    Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    Stagnating? They're in the midst of a huge Fantasyland expansion, they're rebuilding Downtown Disney, and they are adding Avatar by 2017...I wouldn't call that stagnant.
    I would, if it's viewed along with in the glacial "growth" (mostly mold) of the last 10-12 years. Before you defend all that's been done since 2001, make a list of all that was opened at Walt Disney World from 1971 through 2000, then contrast this with your 2001 through 2015 list.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Here's post #3:
    I would, if it's viewed along with in the glacial "growth" (mostly mold) of the last 10-12 years. Before you defend all that's been done since 2001, make a list of all that was opened at Walt Disney World from 1971 through 2000, then contrast this with your 2001 through 2015 list.
    Oh c'mon jcruise, you can't realistically compare those two time periods and expect to have the same kind of growth. To expect the amount and rate of growth that can happen at a huge resort over the course of the first 30 years of that resort's existence (to the point it has 4 major theme parks, 2 water parks, multiple golf courses, a huge retail district, and close to 20 hotels) to the the next 15 years is ridiculous. Did you expect another two parks, another water park, and 10 more hotels?

Look, I'd love to have TDO step it up and improve all the parks at WDW and plus the entire resort with other cool stuff (I liked your bike trail idea...that was you, yeah?). Hell, I have had an idea for a 5th gate for WDW in mind for a long time myself, but I know it's not a realistic hope. Point being, it's not like nothing is being done at WDW. New Fantasyland, the Art of Animation Resort, new DVCs, Disney Springs, and hopefully Star Wars and something new at Epcot soon is progress, even if we see it as slow progress. It's not stagnancy.

I would agree that Epcot and DHS have been pretty stagnant, but not the resort as a whole.

I think WDW is only getting this criticism in recent years because of how fast Universal has been churning out attractions. I would argue that the non-Harry Potter parts of Universal do not come close to Disney in terms of theming and quality of construction. And the Harry Potter sections aren't being built from scratch - some attractions were re-themed, and they have all the sets and designs from the movies to work from.

I would love to see even more improvements by the 50th anniversary...Future World and DHS could use some TLC.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Oh c'mon jcruise, you can't realistically compare those two time periods and expect to have the same kind of growth. To expect the amount and rate of growth. . .

Look, I'd love to have TDO step it up and improve all the parks at WDW and plus the entire resort with other cool stuff (I liked your bike trail idea...that was you, yeah?). Hell, I have had an idea for a 5th gate for WDW in mind for a long time myself, but I know it's not a realistic hope. Point being, it's not like nothing is being done at WDW. New Fantasyland, the Art of Animation Resort, new DVCs, Disney Springs, and hopefully Star Wars and something new at Epcot soon is progress, even if we see it as slow progress. It's not stagnancy.
    Glad there's another fan in favor of having WDW have a great bike system. (Post #6) Thanks!
    Imagine guests feeling invigorated, sleeping better, and coming back from a WDW vacation a pound lighter rather than two pounds heavier.

What's being built at Epcot? They could and should fit in two more World Showcase nations ASAP.

I don't want a 5th gate since they are making it seem like it's too hard to keep up parts of their four theme parks.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-09-2013 at 05:12 PM.

I would agree that Epcot and DHS have been pretty stagnant, but not the resort as a whole.

I think WDW is only getting this criticism in recent years because of how fast Universal has been churning out attractions. I would argue that the non-Harry Potter parts of Universal do not come close to Disney in terms of theming and quality of construction. And the Harry Potter sections aren't being built from scratch - some attractions were re-themed, and they have all the sets and designs from the movies to work from.

I would love to see even more improvements by the 50th anniversary...Future World and DHS could use some TLC.
    YES.
    Excellent points PBandJ! Though most of us are likely to be impatient with Disney in general because we love the parks and resorts so much and want to see fun and exciting new things as soon as possible, I agree that most people wouldn't be quite as critical of WDW's slow pace of growth had Universal not cranked out all the Potter stuff so rapidly, and executed it so well. And also as pointed out above, I generally agree that the majority of the rest of Universal Studios Orlando and Islands of Adventure are not as strong as the rest of WDW parks.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    They could and should fit in two more World Showcase nations ASAP.
    I totally agree, and have mentioned in posts on other threads that I'd love to see Brazil, India, and Egypt represented in the World Showcase. Argentina and Russia would also make for great pavilions.

Let's see.

- They spent a metric ****ton of money on wristbands and tacky garish PlayPlace queues, which inevitably doesn't add up to anything. Did putting these noisemakers and crap into the queue lines for Winnie the Pooh and the Haunted Mansion do anything to improve those experience? I'd say the opposite. Wristbands and reservations for Spaceship Earth and Muppet*Vision probably the most unnecessary and flat out ridiculous thing added to Walt Disney World since a show in pitch blackness where you listen to Drew Cary on headphones. I mean, what the **** are they ****ing thinking these days?

- They keep tampering with the classics and rides that are already among the most popular (and always will be) while ignoring embarrassing stains on the parks like Imagination with Monty Python, vacated Innoventions, Wonders of Life now in the forbidden forest from Harry Potter, that increasingly dated (though admittedly okay for its time) Ellen version of the Universe of Energy, etc.

- Most of their new attractions seem marketed towards little girls and made to sell merchandise or something...and typically aren't really impressive.

- The escalator out of Space Mountain eventually consists of a plain room with TVs showing you escalate by. Why in God's name is that there? Is this Space Mountain or Sears??

- Universal is building the attractions that Disney should be and utilizing much cooler properties than Disney, who is resorting to strictly girly Princess movies for the New Fantasyland and, uh, Avatar. What the...?

I don't know what point I was trying to make here, by the way.

I don't want to turn this thread into yet another WDW vs. Universal argument, but i must say I disagree about Universal using cooler properties, aside from Harry Potter. Transformers may be popular with young boys (and men who still have boyish tendencies), but those movies aren't going to be respected in the long run. Avatar is pretty unpopular on these boards, but the fact is that it was one of the higher grossing movies of all time AND it was nominated for Oscars (and not only in special effects categories). I like Avatar and i will most definitely see the sequels, but you couldn't pay me to watch Transformers 2 or 3 after suffering thru the first.

Then we have Spider-man, which is a cool ride and a cool property....and which mostly appeals to boys, just like Disney's princess rides. The Brendan Fraser incarnation of The Mummy is not exactly a timeless classic...and plenty of Universal's other areas (like Toon Lagoon) are just plain embarrassing.

Let's see how WDW's upcoming 50th compares to Universal's when the time comes...I think Disney will ultimately have the staying power.

I don't want to turn this thread into yet another WDW vs. Universal argument, but i must say I disagree about Universal using cooler properties, aside from Harry Potter. Transformers may be popular with young boys (and men who still have boyish tendencies), but those movies aren't going to be respected in the long run. Avatar is pretty unpopular on these boards, but the fact is that it was one of the higher grossing movies of all time AND it was nominated for Oscars (and not only in special effects categories). I like Avatar and i will most definitely see the sequels, but you couldn't pay me to watch Transformers 2 or 3 after suffering thru the first.

Then we have Spider-man, which is a cool ride and a cool property....and which mostly appeals to boys, just like Disney's princess rides. The Brendan Fraser incarnation of The Mummy is not exactly a timeless classic...and plenty of Universal's other areas (like Toon Lagoon) are just plain embarrassing.

Let's see how WDW's upcoming 50th compares to Universal's when the time comes...I think Disney will ultimately have the staying power.
    PBandJ, I like your style. You continuously bring up excellent points.
    I think this is a point that most people overlook. Aside from Harry Potter, which is still very much contemporary and has yet to prove itself as a time-tested "classic," the great majority of Universal's rides are based on IPs that don't have all that much staying power. Not to mention, for what it's worth, that the Potter films aren't even a Universal films. Universal Orlando used to have some classics like Jaws and King Kong, but they did away with those iconic attractions. All they have left is E.T.

• Closed Account

Aside from Harry Potter, which is still very much contemporary and has yet to prove itself as a time-tested "classic,"

Wow, after FIFTEEN YEARS of 7 books and 8 movies, 2 spinoff books and now a NEW series starting Newt Scamander and we're STILL on this line? Potters fate is DONE. It HAS become evergreen. They run the movies EVERY Christmas on ABC Family. The books will be in print forever and when Fantastic Beasts comes out it will open up that universe again. Disney fanbois just can't accept that. But I'm SURE 10ft tall blue alien sex kittens will be remembered.......................

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast