Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
  1. #31

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    314

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    Stagnating? They're in the midst of a huge Fantasyland expansion, they're rebuilding Downtown Disney, and they are adding Avatar by 2017...I wouldn't call that stagnant.
    I would. Fantasyland expansion isn't all that impressive. Downtown Disney is just shopping and places to eat, but it takes far to long to get there from the theme parks. And Avatar is less than exciting.

    I think WDW is like letting old computers continue to run, rather than upgrade them. As long as they work good enough and people still can get their jobs done, why replace them? And there are plenty of people that are more than willing to spend their money to ride poorly maintained rides and stay in motel 6 like rooms that cost a whole lot more.

  2. #32

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Despite small pockets of activity, the resort is stagnant. Epcot has improved from getting worse to going nowhere. The Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom are rumored to be getting movie themed expansions. The Magic Kingdom just got a movie themed expansion that they called "the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history (it wasn't) and only added 1 more attraction than they had before and a restaurant.

    Downtown Disney Plan C is just new facades on stores and restaurants that are difficult for resort guests to get to and nobody wants to visit to begin with. The aging monorail fleet is breaking down all the time and there are still no plans to expand it or any other transportation alternatives other than buses. The DVC expansions at both the Floridian and Polynesian are only going to strain the old system more.

    The resort is stagnant because there is no vision. Nobody has a plan for the resort. Some people have plans to add hotels and DVCs, some people have plans for the parks, but nobody seems to be thinking about the Walt Disney World Resort. It may get bigger, but it's not going anywhere.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  3. #33

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,040
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Nothing confirmed.

    Avatarland is going to drive length of visits up, which means they need more rooms to stay in. Also with the success of the Art of Animation Resort, we may see more suite hotels coming up.
    No chance at all that one land will dramatically alter American culture and change our vacation patterns and/or dramatically shift the number of international visitors as well as their vacationing patterns. At best it gets people to give up time at the Magic Kingdom or Universal Orlando Resort, more realistically it gets people to give up time at the other Walt Disney World parks.

  4. #34

    • Under that tree again!
    • Online

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    No chance at all that one land will dramatically alter American culture and change our vacation patterns and/or dramatically shift the number of international visitors as well as their vacationing patterns. At best it gets people to give up time at the Magic Kingdom or Universal Orlando Resort, more realistically it gets people to give up time at the other Walt Disney World parks.
    No you're right.

    They are just expanding and redoing the park in a big way to sell one more t-shirt and a slice of pizza.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  5. #35

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    677

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post

    Wow, after FIFTEEN YEARS of 7 books and 8 movies, 2 spinoff books and now a NEW series starting Newt Scamander and we're STILL on this line? Potters fate is DONE. It HAS become evergreen. They run the movies EVERY Christmas on ABC Family. The books will be in print forever and when Fantastic Beasts comes out it will open up that universe again. Disney fanbois just can't accept that. But I'm SURE 10ft tall blue alien sex kittens will be remembered.......................
    Wow, someone's excessively sensitive over Harry.

    First of all, calm down.
    Second of all, I'm not a fanboi.
    Third, being around for 15 years doesn't make anything classic. Not to mention IT HASN'T BEEN FIFTEEN YEARS SINCE THE LAST POTTER FILM. Books, films, cars, collectibles, etc aren't considered "classic" until a truly significant time has passed, and the fact that the last Potter film came out just a few years ago makes it relatively contemporary. Casablanca is a classic. The Wizard of Oz is a Classic. A '57 Chevy is classic. Star Wars is classic.

    I never implied that Potter won't be popular 40 years from now. It may be. I don't know, and you don't know, and neither does anyone else. All I said is that Harry Potter is not yet time-tested, and this is a fact because there hasn't been enough time gone by since the last of the Potter films.
    And I never said Avatar was classic or that I even like it, so again, calm down.

  6. #36

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    352

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Wow, someone's excessively sensitive over Harry.

    First of all, calm down.
    Second of all, I'm not a fanboi.
    Third, being around for 15 years doesn't make anything classic. Not to mention IT HASN'T BEEN FIFTEEN YEARS SINCE THE LAST POTTER FILM. Books, films, cars, collectibles, etc aren't considered "classic" until a truly significant time has passed, and the fact that the last Potter film came out just a few years ago makes it relatively contemporary. Casablanca is a classic. The Wizard of Oz is a Classic. A '57 Chevy is classic. Star Wars is classic.

    I never implied that Potter won't be popular 40 years from now. It may be. I don't know, and you don't know, and neither does anyone else. All I said is that Harry Potter is not yet time-tested, and this is a fact because there hasn't been enough time gone by since the last of the Potter films.
    And I never said Avatar was classic or that I even like it, so again, calm down.
    I couldn't agree more today's Wizarding World could be Tomorrow's Honey I shrank the kinds or Roger Rabbit. Both were very popular and have areas at DHS but now aren't so popular. While I personally think its a shame Roger has faded (mostly due to legal battles) it shows that single theme areas aren't the best long term solution for a theme park

  7. #37

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    677

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    While I personally think its a shame Roger has faded (mostly due to legal battles) it shows that single theme areas aren't the best long term solution for a theme park
    Yeah, it's a shame all the legal issues and tension between Disney and Spielberg had to happen, and has made it so difficult for there to be more development with Roger Rabbit. I would love to see another film, or at least new shorts...mostly because I love Jessica Rabbit and want them to put out new merch of her, hahaha!

  8. #38

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Disney distributes Spielberg's DreamWorks Pictures in place of Touchstone now. I think they've made up.

  9. #39

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    677

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Disney distributes Spielberg's DreamWorks Pictures in place of Touchstone now. I think they've made up.
    I've heard that relations are much better, especially since Eisner is no longer in charge. I'd love to them to work out all the legal issues concerning Roger Rabbit and produce some new material.

  10. #40

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    I think "all the legal issues" was Eisner, so we're good to go.

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    677

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I think "all the legal issues" was Eisner, so we're good to go.
    Perhaps, but despite scripts at Disney for another Roger Rabbit film and expressed enthusiasm from Zemeckis, Hahn, and Fleischer in doing another film over the past 25 years, nothing has happened.

  12. #42

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,040
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Wow, someone's excessively sensitive over Harry.

    First of all, calm down.
    Second of all, I'm not a fanboi.
    Third, being around for 15 years doesn't make anything classic. Not to mention IT HASN'T BEEN FIFTEEN YEARS SINCE THE LAST POTTER FILM. Books, films, cars, collectibles, etc aren't considered "classic" until a truly significant time has passed, and the fact that the last Potter film came out just a few years ago makes it relatively contemporary. Casablanca is a classic. The Wizard of Oz is a Classic. A '57 Chevy is classic. Star Wars is classic.

    I never implied that Potter won't be popular 40 years from now. It may be. I don't know, and you don't know, and neither does anyone else. All I said is that Harry Potter is not yet time-tested, and this is a fact because there hasn't been enough time gone by since the last of the Potter films.
    And I never said Avatar was classic or that I even like it, so again, calm down.
    How can Star Wars be a classic when the last film came out in 2008, a television show just ended, and new shows and films are in development?

  13. #43

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How can Star Wars be a classic when the last film came out in 2008, a television show just ended, and new shows and films are in development?
    I think it's safe to assume he meant the ones we all group up with in the 80's. At least it seemed pretty obvious to me in the context of classic characters that are memorable and beloved for all time. Despite the fairly recent release of the final Harry Potter installment, that series of books and films qualifies as well.

    So, what was your point again, please?

  14. #44

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Perhaps, but despite scripts at Disney for another Roger Rabbit film and expressed enthusiasm from Zemeckis, Hahn, and Fleischer in doing another film over the past 25 years, nothing has happened.
    My gut says Spielberg has never seen a quality screenplay - but between his new relationship with the Disney-Dreamworks distribution deal plus Steven's producer and DW partner Kathleen Kennedy overseeing Disney-Lucas, he would have no problem bringing back Roger Rabbit.

  15. #45

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    677

    Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How can Star Wars be a classic when the last film came out in 2008, a television show just ended, and new shows and films are in development?
    As CaliforniaAdventurer pointed out, I was talking about he original trilogy. I thought that would be pretty obvious. Those films came out in '77, '80, and '83. Those are the films that created the popular and cultural phenomenon surrounding Star Wars, not he prequel trilogy or the Clone Wars animated disaster, etc. Again, I thought that was obvious.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Should they build a place for the Disney Magic at the DLR?
    By techskip in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
  3. Can I ask for the front row?
    By writerevie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 09:16 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
  5. Kermit the Frog - 50th Anniversary pin at WDW
    By BigDaddyKyle in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 08:08 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •