Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    My gut says Spielberg has never seen a quality screenplay - but between his new relationship with the Disney-Dreamworks distribution deal plus Steven's producer and DW partner Kathleen Kennedy overseeing Disney-Lucas, he would have no problem bringing back Roger Rabbit.
    I hope that's the case and everything you said was the way it is, but I have friends who are hardcore Roger Rabbit fans and actually run websites and have done interviews with Gary K. Wolf and have spoken to insiders, etc... it's Disney Studios that hasn't given anything the greenlight, which is needed before they even get back into talks with Spielberg to allow them, or both parties if they decide to do a collaborative effort again, to make a film happen. A LOT of different things had to come together to make Who Framed Roger Rabbit? work especially with getting Spielberg to convince Warner Bros to allow them to use all their licensed cartoon characters.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I think it's safe to assume he meant the ones we all group up with in the 80's. At least it seemed pretty obvious to me in the context of classic characters that are memorable and beloved for all time. Despite the fairly recent release of the final Harry Potter installment, that series of books and films qualifies as well.

So, what was your point again, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    As CaliforniaAdventurer pointed out, I was talking about he original trilogy. I thought that would be pretty obvious. Those films came out in '77, '80, and '83. Those are the films that created the popular and cultural phenomenon surrounding Star Wars, not he prequel trilogy or the Clone Wars animated disaster, etc. Again, I thought that was obvious.
    And it was the original books that catapulted Harry Potter into a cultural phenomenon. You're applying a double standard. Either Star Wars is something because if its first installment, and really even just based on the first film, and then so is the Harry Potter series OR new content hinders our ability to judge the lasting appeal of a property. It is one or the other, not one for Star Wars and one for Harry Potter.

• Metro-Retro Historian

See, a misplaced belief that reliance on film franchises is the only way to improve the theme park experience. Stagnation.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    And it was the original books that catapulted Harry Potter into a cultural phenomenon. You're applying a double standard. Either Star Wars is something because if its first installment, and really even just based on the first film, and then so is the Harry Potter series OR new content hinders our ability to judge the lasting appeal of a property. It is one or the other, not one for Star Wars and one for Harry Potter.
    I also have pointed out more than once that it's the passage of time and how well a property holds up over an extended period time that determines it's lasting power. The Star Wars films came out between 1977-1983, as I stated above. The Potter books were published between 1997-2007. That's a pretty big difference in time. Not to mention, as popular as the Potter novels and films are, they're NOWHERE near as popular as Star Wars is. The immense size of the 501st, the unequaled numbers of Star Wars cosplayers at ComicCon, Dragon Con, WonderCon, and the scores of other big conventions is proof of what I'm saying. So is the sheer number of official, un-official, and spinoff consumer products produced and purchased that is dedicated to Star Wars. You gonna tell me that you see more Harry Potter references in pop culture than references to Darth Vader, the Death Star, the Force, the Millennium Falcon, Obiwan, Han Solo, Princess Leiah? NO WAY. AND I also used Star Wars as one of several examples to illustrate the greater point that it's the passage of time that hleps determine if something is a classic or not (like the aforementioned examples of Wizard of Oz, '57 Chevys, Casablanca, etc).

For the last time: I know Harry Potter is popular. I dig most of the stories myself, and think Universal did an amazing job at Islands of Adventure. But AGAIN, it hasn't been 30 years since the last original Potter film, or the last original book, but i's been 30 years since the release of the last original Star Wars film, and over 60 years for the other examples I gave as classics. And everything I've said is an extension of what PBandJ stated in his post regarding his opinion that WDW's properties are overall better than UO's. Go back and read post #28. PBandJ and I both feel that Disney has overall better material than Universal, and as a side point I'm saying that Potter is still newer compared to Disney's classics.

I'm done arguing this. If you can't understand what I've said and see the validity of it I don't know what else to say.

Hey Mondo Mouse -- thanks for the compliments! Just thought I'd let you know I'm a she, not a he

Dapper Dan, I agree that WDW could use some new attractions that are not based on films or TV shows... Epcot is the most obvious place for that, but the biggest rumor I keep hearing is that the Imagination pavilion will be getting a Phineas & Ferb makeover, unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    Hey Mondo Mouse -- thanks for the compliments! Just thought I'd let you know I'm a she, not a he

Dapper Dan, I agree that WDW could use some new attractions that are not based on films or TV shows... Epcot is the most obvious place for that, but the biggest rumor I keep hearing is that the Imagination pavilion will be getting a Phineas & Ferb makeover, unfortunately...
    You're very welcome PBandJ You're comments are right on and help contribute to the richness of this discussion! (I apologize for the mistake by the way... don't know why thinking about a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich made me think: "dude." lol)

As for the Phineas & Ferb makeover for the Imagination Pavilion, I've seen that come up here on MiceChat and really think it's a bad rumor. I also think the MiceAge article regarding the complete overhaul of Tomorrowland by Star Wars is extremely far fetched too. I just wish Disney would start making official announcements of what's actually​ going to happen, and do it sometime soon!

Well I visited the past two weeks. As my brother and I were coming across one of the bridges in Animal Kingdom I stopped to take a picture of the Avatarland construction going on. A building had gone up with some steel beams around it. For anyone curious about anything new going in.

• Sock Puppet

I believe that is construction for the new theater for The Lion King show.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
    Well I visited the past two weeks. As my brother and I were coming across one of the bridges in Animal Kingdom I stopped to take a picture of the Avatarland construction going on. A building had gone up with some steel beams around it. For anyone curious about anything new going in.
    Was the construction behind the Tusker House in Africa? If so, specifically that is the new theater for Festival of the Lion King. Actual construction on Avatarland itself will not begin until after the show leaves Camp Minnie-Mickey early next year.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234