Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• former CM

Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversary?

Why spend more money if the Magic Kingdom still draws 17 million visits a year
    and your CEO goal is to just hang on for a few more years?

The 2005 Disneyland renaissance was most impressive,
    especially after the growing discontentment in the years before that.

WDW's 50th is over 7 years away, but maybe this is part of a ten-year plan--if there is one.

• Senior Minion

Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Why spend more money if the Magic Kingdom still draws 17 million visits a year
    and your CEO goal is to just hang on for a few more years?

The 2005 Disneyland renaissance was most impressive,
    especially after the growing discontentment in the years before that.

WDW's 50th is over 7 years away, but maybe this is part of a ten-year plan--if there is one.
    I think the 50th has nothing to do with it; Disney management is letting WDW stagnate because it's their business model. As long as they can keep packing in the customers with a business model of bare-bones minimum investment, they won't see a need to upgrade.

To their mindset, of course, it isn't "stagnation." They see it as maximizing the ROI for their physical plant. To Disney management, "improvement" means MyMagic+, NextGen and the rest of their beancounter initiatives designed to jam more customers through the same tired facilities, effectively squeezing more gold from the same goose.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-07-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Re: Is Disney letting WDW stagnate so they can revive it for the 2021 50th Anniversar

Stagnating? They're in the midst of a huge Fantasyland expansion, they're rebuilding Downtown Disney, and they are adding Avatar by 2017...I wouldn't call that stagnant.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I think the 50th has nothing to do with it; Disney management is letting WDW stagnate because it's their business model. As long as they can keep packing in the customers with a business model of bare-bones minimum investment, they won't see a need to upgrade.

To their mindset, of course, it isn't "stagnation." They see it as maximizing the ROI for their physical plant. To Disney management, "improvement" means MyMagic+, NextGen and the rest of their beancounter initiatives designed to jam more customers through the same tired facilities, effectively squeezing more gold from the same goose.
    You're like Scott Adams (one of my fav.s), but with truth instead of comedic hyperbole. If only you could time travel and ride "Small World" before it maximized character branding.

If Eisner's followers (Rasulo, Iger, Staggs & Crofton) are all gone in six years and if someone there is smart enough to study Disneyland's return to excellence (in my opinion), I think it's possible that Walt Disney World could be made better than ever. It'd take a brilliant (not necessarily multi-billion-dollar) overhaul of Epcot's Future World, a couple new nations in World Showcase, and . . . sigh, I just started thinking of all that has to be done at the three other parks and with the transportation, and thought, nah. There are other places to visit besides Disney World.

Hey, non-Californians: did you know that except for a bit of Nevada in the Lake Tahoe skiing shot, every place in Soarin' (known over here as "Soarin' Over California") is in California? So instead of Walt Disney World, why not spend your next vacation in California visiting the places you've only soared over? We're friendly, have some of the mildest weather in the 48, and our bumper stickers don't say "Don't mess" with us.

Just kidding Texas. I was just messin' with ya!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-08-2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: typo

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I think the reality of the next few years will indeed be that WDW continues to drop in quality, and then suddenly management will swoop in and save the day and make it all shiny for the 50th. But I don't think there's a plan to that effect.

• former CM

BIKE paths, bridges, shelters & easy pick up/drop off locations!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I think the reality of the next few years will indeed be that WDW continues to drop in quality, and then suddenly management will swoop in and save the day and make it all shiny for the 50th. But I don't think there's a plan to that effect.
    Danyoung, I clicked on this thread because I saw your name and assumed you were responding to the Texas sentence. So why do you, Dan Young, think WDW will decline in quality?

I think WDW would have been better off (instead of MyMagic+) investing in bike paths, bridges, & rain shelters all over WDW with easy pick up and drop off locations at the hotels and parks for hotel guests. This would have stabbed the recently often-ridiculed image (on SNL & S. Park for examples) of unfit Disney park guests. What good is having a health conscious Outdoor Entertainment head (Staggs) if he limits this enthusiasm to himself? I wouldn't mind paying an optional bike fee.

-Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-09-2013 at 11:18 AM.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    Stagnating? They're in the midst of a huge Fantasyland expansion, they're rebuilding Downtown Disney, and they are adding Avatar by 2017...I wouldn't call that stagnant.
    THIS.

Just because a lot of us Disney superfans aren't getting what we want in terms of improvements/upgrades/expansions/etc out of WDW, it doesn't mean nothing is happening. And to add to PBandJ's examples, we will also potentially be getting Star Wars Land and hopefully park-wide updates at DHS, and possibly a new Imagination pavilion at Epcot.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    And two DVC resorts. And after that DHS will get its turn, and more hotels will be built.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    ...more hotels will be built.
    Can you share more info about this? I haven't heard anything about this but I'm very curious.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Can you share more info about this? I haven't heard anything about this but I'm very curious.
    Nothing confirmed.

Avatarland is going to drive length of visits up, which means they need more rooms to stay in. Also with the success of the Art of Animation Resort, we may see more suite hotels coming up.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Danyoung, I clicked on this thread because I saw your name and assumed you were responding to the Texas sentence.
    Don't mess with me!!!!

It's been mostly stagnant for years. Impressing people during an upcoming anniversary has nothing to do with it. And they have in fact updated the parks recently, they just aren't very good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Avatarland is going to drive length of visits up
    I very much doubt this.

• Banned User

I would not call it stagnant, but Disney has been in slow motion for a long long time. The truth is it is mostly a tourist market where the customers will see it for the first time. If you go every year, you will notice very little changes. If you're on a 5 year or 10 year visit interval, you'll notice plenty of changes.

I haven't visited WDW for 10 years. My next planned trip is 2014. I have plenty to see with the prices to match. I expect my follow-up trip to occur in 2019 with the Star Wars and Avatar lands to keep me interested.

If you want more frequent changes, the visitor mix must change to focus on locals.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think you're labeling "this is how things are going" a "plan" which implies they put forth the thoughtfulness about it that they didn't. The "plan" is probably to let WDW stagnate right through any upcoming anniversaries but maybe put up the tackiest plasticky lipstick on the pig as some sort of promotion, and make it last 18-24 months. But call it the "Year of the Big Disappointment" or some such monicker. I'm trying to resist being REALLY cynical, so I'll leave it there.

• Heavy Breather

I'm sure once Star Wars Land "eventually" comes around, the people will come filing in.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast