Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long should I stay at WDW for?

Hi all- I've been formulating plans for a Disneyworld vacation next year in late April/Early May (less crowds, no rides shut down), but I still need to figure out how long I need to stay there for. I know I want two days at the Magic Kingdom, and one each at the other three parks, but what's the other "Must See" stuff? I've been to Universal Studios in California and while it's good, it's not really "Must See" again for me, though the Harry Potter stuff might be amusing. I know Universal's quite a bit bigger in Florida with the two separate parks, so could that be a one day or a two-day thing in your minds? I've never been a major coaster enthusiast (though I did like the California Screamin' one at DCA- my first coaster!), so none of the other Coaster-themed places appeal that much to me.

So I'm thinking 1 day to get there, four days at Disney parks, and one day for when I leave, and preferably at a cheaper resort (I'm going alone, so Art of Animation seems like a good bet). I won't need a "rest day" (I didn't in a weeklong trip to California and I was fine- I'm a seriously experienced walker), but how many days should I set aside for "other" stuff, based off of all of your recollections of past trips to Florida?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

• Heavy Breather

Re: How long should I stay at WDW for?

I 'd say it depends on what you want to see. If you want to go to the beach I would set aside a day for that. Then if you wanted to go to Universal, two days should suffice.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

From what you posted, you're off by a day. You'll need 2 days at MK, and 1 day at each of the other 3 parks, for a total of 5 days. I'd add in a utility day, just to go back and see the stuff you've missed. Oh, and don't plan on spending an entire day at just one park. Get the park hopper option added to your ticket. You'll love it when the Animal Kingdom closes down at 5pm and you can hop over to Epcot or the MK for the rest of the night.

I'm a regular park stormer, and I have yet to do any Universal time. I find more than enough stuff to do right on Disney property. Have fun!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Minimum trip to WDW if you want to get the full trip is 5 days. 3 days you can do highlights... 5 days you can see most of the 'core' stuff... 7 days is the 'I want to see most of the stuff'. Take note, that means most of the park attractions, and not all the extended things you can do on property, or deep dive into stuff.

Universal is a very different beast from it's Cali sister park. At the minimum you would want 2 days there.. that will get you through most of the core stuff... 3 days is preferred to see more of the shows, etc. 2-3 days is most people's window if they want to do both parks.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• formerly very helpful

If it was me, and money was no object, I'd try for two weeks. there is so much to see there that t here is no way to see it all. More realistically, at least one full week to 10 days.

I really does depend on what you want to see. Both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot will require two days each. Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios one day each. The two water parks can be done in a day, day and a half. But that is just WDW. Universal will probably take 2-3 days. The amount of time it takes to see each park really depends on the crowds.

If you have never been to Florida, then I would suggest you carve out some time for Canaveral Space Center & Cocoa Beach. It's about one hour east and a very entertaining spot.

I also plan a day in between each park visit to rest, sight see, and other stuff in Orlando or shop or golf. Two weeks minimum.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I meant five days for all four parks. I plan to spend a full day in each one (or as long as they're open), two at MK. Exactly HOW much bigger is the Magic Kingdom than Disneyland? A day and a half were all I needed to see everything in DL (I came in on a Sunday afternoon till 11, and then spent a full-ish day around Halloween), to the point where I was wandering around finding Hidden Mickeys and stuff. I want to do the same at the parks in Florida, and maybe go on one of those nifty "behind the scenes" tours they do. Has anyone ever been? They sound cool!

I'm still not sure if I want to hit up Universal's parks, which is the main issue in terms of extra time I want to spend out there. I COULD always come back in a couple years if I wanted to see what I missed. How much other "Must-See" stuff is there in that part of Florida?
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 12-07-2013 at 02:13 AM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

well - going alone you can certainly do a lot more (assuming your pace is higher too). But don't expect 'single rider lines' as frequently as you have at DLR.

A lot of this depends on your tastes. Do you like shows? Or do you see them only if they are convenient to you at the moment?

If you've never been to the parks, allocating a day to DHS and AK isn't too bad.. but (personal taste) I like having park hoppers to head to MK after doing those parks. DHS will fill a day or more if you see all the shows... its only about 3/4 a day for newbies if you don't like shows. If you don't like exploring or checking out animal exhibits.. AK will feel like a half day park and you'll be bored by 3pm. So depends a lot on what you savor and what speed you like to do parks at.

Again.. depending on taste... most people find they need 1.5-2 days to see EPCOT. MK less so .. but MK is more repeatable than the other parks for most people.

Depending on the actual week you go.. you should have decent park hours (open to 10pm or so). I like park hopping where you start the day off somewhere, and head to MK or EPCOT to cap the night off with the fireworks and rides.

I would not discount visiting Universal. It's not cheap, and adds complexity depending on your travel arrangements, but it is a worthy experience. Its hard for other people to say which is more worthy, since we don't know when the next time you will go, how frequently, etc. If I were planning a blow out trip.... I would extend it to see UNI.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I meant five days for all four parks. I plan to spend a full day in each one (or as long as they're open), two at MK. Exactly HOW much bigger is the Magic Kingdom than Disneyland? A day and a half were all I needed to see everything in DL (I came in on a Sunday afternoon till 11, and then spent a full-ish day around Halloween), to the point where I was wandering around finding Hidden Mickeys and stuff. I want to do the same at the parks in Florida, and maybe go on one of those nifty "behind the scenes" tours they do. Has anyone ever been? They sound cool!

I'm still not sure if I want to hit up Universal's parks, which is the main issue in terms of extra time I want to spend out there. I COULD always come back in a couple years if I wanted to see what I missed. How much other "Must-See" stuff is there in that part of Florida?
    Hi! I would recommend six days to see all four parks. Animal Kingdom and the Hollywood Studios can each be seen in one day, yes, but EPCOT is rather vast. You may want to plan on two days there - perhaps one to see Future World and another to see World Showcase. With twelve international pavilions, World Showcase offers only actual two rides, but lots to see and do. Especially if you want to go on a "behind the scenes" tour, my personal opinion is that you feel very rushed with just five days to do it all.

The Magic Kingdom is roughly twice the physical size of Disneyland Park. However, Disneyland Park has more attractions than the Magic Kingdom does. This is particularly the case in Fantasyland. Although the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland has been recently expanded, it is still lacking several classic attractions that exist in the Disneyland version.

• Indiana Scott

I would strongly recommend at least 6 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Thanks for the advice!

Im a Disneyland regular and past CM. A few of us went to WDW last January for the first time and if you've never been but are used to DLR heres what you can expect:

- Its HUGE. All the parks are just really really big. MK is like a full-size Disneyland. Main Street is like an actual street, its crazy.
    - Its Not as Dense. My point is while MK might be a lot bigger, it doesn't feel like there are as many rides and things to do. We really felt like we did everything we needed to in one day.
    -Transportation is annoying. You cant just walk from your hotel to the parks. You have to take a bus to get to a bus to get to a park. Its just annoying and confusing. Don't let it get to you, just relax and pray you don't get confused.
    -Art of Animation. We stayed here. And it was like my 5 yr old imagination blew up. Its a bit overwhelming. If I could do it again, I would've stayed somewhere less in your face. Like the Polynesian or something.

I was there for 5 days. 1 travel day, and 1 day for each park. I felt like we did everything, and we weren't rushing really. Got there at opening and stayed til near closing. It was a lot of fun, but obviously tiring. I cant wait to go back and stay a couple extra days.

• Banned User

You should try for 7 nights, which will provide for 6 full days and 2 travel days. Visit EPCOT for 2 full days. The other parks for 1 full day each. Double up on your favorite parks. Take at least one day off to visit the pool or water park.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I have a 5-Day Park-Hopper, with two "free" days (probably Universal for one, and SeaWorld for the other). I'm planning on 2 for the Magic Kingdom, and one each for the other three parks, but if I don't get to see all of Epcot in one, I can head back for another. Six days might be better, but that's pricey, and hey- I can always head back in a couple years .

I wanted to stay at Art of Animation, but they only had a room for every day BUT the last one I was staying, so I went with Pop Century instead (the location is basically the same, and it's also pretty cheap). According to the location chart in a book I have, it's not too far from any one park.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So when is your trip?

I have stayed at Pop Century, and I really enjoyed it there. It's a fun resort with all of the giant icons. The Food Court was really convenient for getting breakfast before heading off for the day.

I, myself want to plan a Disney World trip by myself. As soon as I save up enough, and Fantasyland is finally finished.

I always took advantage of the early entry in each park. Sometimes you can ride all your must ride rides in the earlier hours of the day.

Personally, I think an ideal WDW vacation is for a week. It gives you plenty of time to visit all the parks, and rest and explore in between your park time.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 03-07-2014 at 08:05 AM.

If you have the luxury to add a couple days, do so, and take in a little of what else is in Florida besides theme parks. Take an airboat ride into the swamps, take in the beaches, hit the gulf and do some fishing. Contact Kissimmee Chamber of Commerce for tourist information( and some good coupons....lol). While the parks are great, its why most of us visit, theres lots to do there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast