Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Avatar 2 and what it may mean for Avatarland.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

I'm sure (hope) many (most?) at WDI, were they in charge, would opt for more original, cohesive content for the parks. Alas, they are not. The sad irony from an artistic viewpoint is Disney is the one company in the theme park business that could leave IP behind, build original and people would still come in droves (especially to WDW). They have that rare, established freedom (earned, in part, by their originality in the past) and are letting it go to waste.
    Masterfully put, and I completely agree.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    while i would like to agree with you I'm not that optimistic. keep in mind the leaked drawings showing something more in tune with a soarin style attraction as their answer for the lands e-ticket, not something I would call on par with cars land. hopefully this has changed since and that was just an early conception because that did not interest me in the slightest. we will have to see about the quality of the exterior execution but those are positive signs. as for containment however clearly with concept drawings specifically targeting the tree of life, if Avatar overwhelmingly infiltrates the heart of the park all has gone out the window in that respect. which would be the worst infraction this addition could make IMO.
    Avatar's flying ride is not based on Soarin', but a different and new technology. You'll sit in pods in 3 levels and the vehicles will have full range of motion. A cross of Soarin' and the Harry Potter ride.

I would not worry about the "heart of the park". The Tree of Life has hardly fulfilled its potential. What's a little Avatar influence at least in the evenings.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Avatar's flying ride is not based on Soarin', but a different and new technology. You'll sit in pods in 3 levels and the vehicles will have full range of motion. A cross of Soarin' and the Harry Potter ride.
    sitting in units in three levels in front of a large screen sounds pretty darn similar to me. enclosed pods and possibly some slightly more articulated motion does not make a totally different attraction, I highly doubt this comes anywhere near the harry potter ride which is absolutely phenomenal but I would like to be proven wrong.

I would not worry about the "heart of the park". The Tree of Life has hardly fulfilled its potential. What's a little Avatar influence at least in the evenings.
    How has it not lived up to potential? It is a beautiful piece of artwork that perfectly represents the feel of the park. If its a little bit of avatar influence in the evening as part of a night program i think thats frankly inevitable but if as soon as the sun goes down, or worse throughout the day, they start turning it into a scene right from the movie and make the entire night show based upon the films as i suspect could be a possibility then that would be an awful decision.

•   
    • Minion

sitting in units in three levels in front of a large screen sounds pretty darn similar to me. enclosed pods and possibly some slightly more articulated motion does not make a totally different attraction, I highly doubt this comes anywhere near the harry potter ride which is absolutely phenomenal but I would like to be proven wrong.

Does this mean that you think It's a small world" and Pirates of the Carribean are just the same attraction then? They are exactly the same ride system. While they are both just boat ride they provide me with two very different experiences. To me it's all about the delivery I could care less where the story for the attraction comes from. Just as long as it makes me feel like part of a different world for a little bit.

• Banned User

sitting in units in three levels in front of a large screen sounds pretty darn similar to me. Enclosed pods and possibly some slightly more articulated motion does not make a totally different attraction, i highly doubt this comes anywhere near the harry potter ride which is absolutely phenomenal but i would like to be proven wrong.

How has it not lived up to potential? It is a beautiful piece of artwork that perfectly represents the feel of the park. If its a little bit of avatar influence in the evening as part of a night program i think thats frankly inevitable but if as soon as the sun goes down, or worse throughout the day, they start turning it into a scene right from the movie and make the entire night show based upon the films as i suspect could be a possibility then that would be an awful decision.
    How can it be the same when the vehicle isn't a hang glider? It will be a totally different ride if the show scenes involve turns and twists and take you to different places. It will be different than anything we currently have.

You just assert the Avatar influence on the Tree will be awful. That doesn't make it so.
    Last edited by StevenW; 01-01-2014 at 04:16 PM.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

I am tired of film based attractions. The potential for the E ticket in Avatarland to be terrific will be squashed by another film, 3D or not.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Does this mean that you think It's a small world" and Pirates of the Carribean are just the same attraction then? They are exactly the same ride system. While they are both just boat ride they provide me with two very different experiences. To me it's all about the delivery I could care less where the story for the attraction comes from. Just as long as it makes me feel like part of a different world for a little bit.
    its more then a bit of an exaggeration when you attempt to compare one to the other there.

with all due respect sitting me in front of a screen on a bench up in the air doesn't make me feel like im in a different world, just a suspended theatre. hopefully this is remedied somehow moving forward.

How can it be the same when the vehicle isn't a hang glider? It will be a totally different ride if the show scenes involve turns and twists and take you to different places. It will be different than anything we currently have.
    its the same because it is still just you in front of a screen. what made harry potter so innovative is that it combined those digital images with real physical pieces on a ride track. this looks to be nothing like that based on early leaked drawings as the pods or whatever you want to call them are on a fixed position at one screen. sure they will move around a little great, that doesn't put it on par with one of the worlds best theme park attractions though, nor doe it make it all that different from soarin in my mind. sure it will be an improved experience based on that technology but thats nothing to write home about to me just like the franchise itself, i don't call that an E ticket attraction.

You just assert the Avatar influence on the Tree will be awful. That doesn't make it so.
    I never said that. I'm all for at least some limited influence as I see that as an inevitability with trying to create a night experience at the park and synchronizing the new addition with the park's central feature. However there is also such a thing as over doing it and clearly I think Disney has the capacity to do this as they have no doubt illustrated just by bringing in Avatar in the first place. If this were to happen again it would be awful as it would ruin the parks central figure and in turn hugely upset the intricate thematics that this park relies on so heavily and that are my favourite aspect.

•   
    • Minion

its more then a bit of an exaggeration when you attempt to compare one to the other there.

with all due respect sitting me in front of a screen on a bench up in the air doesn't make me feel like im in a different world, just a suspended theatre. hopefully this is remedied somehow moving forward.

Ah I see. I actually love the Soarin system I think it's amazing and I do let myself go and feel as if I am flying over california. A enhanced version of that ride system really make me excited no matter what the subject matter is.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Ah I see. I actually love the Soarin system I think it's amazing and I do let myself go and feel as if I am flying over california. A enhanced version of that ride system really make me excited no matter what the subject matter is.
    sure and I try to let myself go and get myself into the story at a movie theatre as well but disney can and should do better then that. don't get me wrong Soarin's visuals are beautiful and I think there is certainly room for an updated version of this ride in the parks, it just doesn't deserve multiple examples, specifically as the starring attraction of a land thats supposed to compete with arguably one of the best park lands and attractions in the world in Potterworld.

• Banned User

its the same because it is still just you in front of a screen. what made harry potter so innovative is that it combined those digital images with real physical pieces on a ride track. this looks to be nothing like that based on early leaked drawings as the pods or whatever you want to call them are on a fixed position at one screen. sure they will move around a little great, that doesn't put it on par with one of the worlds best theme park attractions though, nor doe it make it all that different from soarin in my mind. sure it will be an improved experience based on that technology but thats nothing to write home about to me just like the franchise itself, i don't call that an E ticket attraction.
    Are all movies the same? Is Star Tours, Back to the Future/Simpsons, Soaring the same attractions?

The only thing common is the screen. There is still plenty of innovation in simulator technology.

The new Avatar attractions will take a bit from all these attractions. Originally I thought Soaring will just be a slight improvement from BTTF/Simpsons, but it turned out to be a huge difference.

Disney will never do a direct lift from Universal with ride technology. I do think they can move forward in their own way just like what Universal did.

I never said that. I'm all for at least some limited influence as I see that as an inevitability with trying to create a night experience at the park and synchronizing the new addition with the park's central feature. However there is also such a thing as over doing it and clearly I think Disney has the capacity to do this as they have no doubt illustrated by bringing in Avatar in the first place. If this were to happen again it would be awful as it would ruin the parks central figure and in turn hugely upset the intricate thematics that this park relies on so heavily and that are my favourite aspect.
    I was addressing the awful part of your quote and you did it again. By definition, the influence will be limited to the nighttime. There is limited influence, but you think Disney can overdo it by .... (see above in italics). This is so basic.

• Minion

Are all movies the same? Is Star Tours, Back to the Future/Simpsons, Soaring the same attractions?

The only thing common is the screen. There is still plenty of innovation in simulator technology.

The new Avatar attractions will take a bit from all these attractions. Originally I thought Soaring will just be a slight improvement from BTTF/Simpsons, but it turned out to be a huge difference.

Disney will never do a direct lift from Universal with ride technology. I do think they can move forward in their own way just like what Universal did.
    Thats my point though, I'm not sure if we see the same thing from the leaked blue print. as I see it there are one of two options, what I see are several individual theatres in the same vein as soarin specifically there to address capacity. if this were to happen I would not be very interested as I expect more then a simple simulator ride from disney, they should be on the edge of innovation creating new forms of attractions, not to beat a dead horse, but like universal has been doing. the second option which I think your seeing is something more closely related to spiderman which is a possibility based on the specifications, and something I would be very enthusiastic for, but a low possibility based on the lack of space to transfer the simulation vehicles between screens. I guess at the end of the day I'm just saying that disney needs to be able to do better then this for a staring attraction. we dont need to lift universals, tech, we need disney to innovate something new and exciting to reenergize the fan base. this concept if it turns out how it looks currently will not do that.

I was addressing the awful part of your quote and you did it again. By definition, the influence will be limited to the nighttime. There is limited influence, but you think Disney can overdo it by .... (see above in italics). This is so basic.
    If you have no doubt in your mind that disney can over do something and have never done so in the past then I don't know what to tell you. I was simply illustrating that this can and has happened in the past and that if this were to happen to the tree of life it would be awful. thats a fair statement to make. furthermore there has been no definitive statement the influence would merely be limited to the nighttime, they could throw permanent tentacles on the structure for all we know as we have no true information on the subject. so before you attempt to play devils advocate again and poorly attempt insults I think we will just have to wait and see what becomes of the area and judge from that point due to our widely differing views on the issue.

• Banned User

I can see that insults, awful, and lack of innovation are all imagined.

I have very little interest in Avatar 2, and NO interest in "Avatarland." This seems like something Universal would be interested in. Why can't they build it over there next to the Dudley Do Right Tower or something?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsthegoodword View Post
    I have very little interest in Avatar 2, and NO interest in "Avatarland." This seems like something Universal would be interested in. Why can't they build it over there next to the Dudley Do Right Tower or something?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...
    I would love to have seen universal make this at least we know it would be awesome I hope Disney makes a engaging area for us all to enjoy.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Suck it up. Avatarland is coming.

Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

posted on January 10th, 2014 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Earlier this week, leaders from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and Lightstorm Entertainment kicked off the largest expansion in Disney’s Animal Kingdom history with a ceremonial groundbreaking for the park’s new AVATAR-inspired land with blue, Na’vi-inspired shovels.
    In this photo illustration, they were joined by a Na’vi, showing the scale of characters from the “AVATAR” film.

The area, which is being designed by Walt Disney Imagineering in partnership with “AVATAR” creator James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment, will be unlike anything ever experienced at a Disney park. Guests will experience the wonders of Pandora when they fly with banshees and explore a rich natural environment with mountains that float and interactive plants that glow at night.

“Disney’s Animal Kingdom is already home to some of our guests’ favorite attractions,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “With AVATAR, we are adding a spectacular new world and an exciting set of attractions unlike any our guests have experienced. The expansion now under way will make the park a true full-day, must-see experience.”
    This week’s milestone is just the first step in a larger expansion for the park that will also include the debut of a new evening spectacular, as well as a nighttime version of Kilimanjaro Safaris.
    Check out the video below for a look inside the ceremony, and be sure to follow the Disney Parks Blog for future updates on this exciting expansion.
    For previous AVATAR coverage, see these blog posts:

Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast