View Poll Results: Where to Retire? WDW or DLR?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland (no alligators and fewer bugs)

9 45.00%
  • WDW (Florida has manatees and the highest concentration of mini golf courses in the country)

11 55.00%

Question Where To Retire? DLR or WDW?

Hello, this is my first visit to the Walt Disney World Resort Forum. I have never been to Orlando but I am now at the age where I am considering entering full retirement and moving into closer proximity to Disney Magic so that I can partake on an "Annual Pass" schedule.

Several months back I posed the question on the Disneyland Forum and received overwhelming preferences toward Southern California over Florida. One Mousechatter suggested that in the interests of science I replicate the poll in this Forum.

I am a low-income senior on a fixed income. I would like to live no more than an hour's commute on public transportation to a Disney park. How would this play out in Orlando?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Under that tree again!

Re: Where To Retire? DLR or WDW?

Would you need to pay taxes? FL has no income tax which makes it appeal to retirees with income. CA on the other hand it a high tax state.

Hour to a park in WDW? Not so simple. The problem is the resort is huge and the area a little random. It's not like DLR and LA with block systems to your home is a few blocks from a bus route and you need one transfer. Orlando has a lot of roads going point to point and around lakes. So you really need a house by the bus route, and one that easily connects to the Resort routes. It's called lynx if you want to take a look.

A lot of things as similar or pro for one or the other, but even out in the end. Main thing is in Florida you are more likely to find a retirement community but it's not that easy in Orlando but still better.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

FL is in my retirement future so far as I have planned...

I like FL as it seems to speak more to my personality and that, plus I really can't justify going to CA because of the higher than normal taxes versus FL and most other states...

For me it's FL or TX, but if you live in FL it's best to have a car as a backup just in case, it's built like most of the south aka near non-existant public transit as compared where I am currently Chicago...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Nerd

I live in SoCal and would prefer Florida. As a retiree, you will have more money to spend at the end of the day. Here in CA you will be taxed to death every move you make. I read an article that talked about folks who move out of CA and are able to keep their present income experience what is about equal to a 37% raise overall when you factor in the cost of living in FL vs. Los Angeles.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Banned User

I expressed in the other thread that California makes no sense for a senior on a fixed income. On the other hand, I didn't advocate Florida since I don't know the area. I visited the Orlando area twice due to my trips there. I would think you should take a good look at the area since Florida has many benefits for seniors. Housing is the biggest expense and Florida is much cheaper. However, housing is cheap for well known reasons. Florida has this horrible humidity that is suffocating in the summer, but it is quite nice in the winter. You do have to worry about the daily mid-day rain and occasional tropical storm or hurricane. Consider the fact if you have difficulty walking in rain. Falling will cause injury.

I must note that theme park pricing is not paradise in Florida. Just compare the prices. Because they cater to tourists, you won't find the bargains that you might see in Southern California. In general, Disneyland is cheaper than Walt Disney World where you pay for 4 parks, but Disneyland has the same number of attractions in two parks. Again, can you get around especially to park hop? Mobility is your greatest concern.

Transportation isn't wonderful in Florida. They have lots of toll roads unlike California. To get from the airport to WDW, you have to go through at least 2 toll booths. I do see an opportunity to conveniently take the taxi to go home if you're in Florida since they cater to the tourist crowd. Never rely on public transportation if you're a senior citizen and by yourself. It just isn't safe.

I think taxes are a non-issue. Low income will ensure you'll pay no taxes whether in California or Florida, BUT perhaps sales tax and regulation will make merchandise and medicine expensive. Anaheim sales tax is 8%. Orlando sales tax is 6.5%. Oregon has no sales tax (interesting).

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Let me tell you, getting to the parks and back will be an issue. The city transport is terrible. Once in the parks you can easily hop on a resort bus to get to another park if you so choose, as well as the monorail to Epcot.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Since, at my income, taxes aren't an issue, it sounds like public transportation in Orlando is a problem. Do all Cast Members drive to work at WDW?

I do not worry about the safety of public transportation so much -- I have Dobby with me as a Reasonable Accommodation to my anxiety attacks in public, and who would mess with that tough little leprechaun snarl?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    Since, at my income, taxes aren't an issue, it sounds like public transportation in Orlando is a problem. Do all Cast Members drive to work at WDW?
    Except for the College Program kids who live in employee housing almost everyone drives. It's far different than DLR where a lot of CM's get on and off the OCTA buses.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Mouseketeer

I live as close as you possibly can to Downtown Disney and have a car. I still allow about 45 minutes to get to the main gate of Magic Kingdom. Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Studios are much quicker to get to, but it's a completely different feel than Disneyland. When I had a pass, I felt like it was a hassle to just pop into the parks for a few hours and often chose not to. Living this close you also have to deal with horrible traffic due to tourists and poor street layout. My friends down in Celebration experience similar issues.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

You could just join the WDW retirement community, there are plenty of retirees that are part-timers or seasonal and just work one or two days a week and enjoy all the perks of being an CM. Free entry and discounts and a lot of them are just ushers for all the entertainment so they can watch all the shows and get paid also.

It really depends on what you are looking for, as both have pros and cons.

Not sure how much you know about either city, but OC is not as crazy as LA, but its still much more hectic than Orlando which seems to be pretty laid back. Orlando is also cheaper to live in, and have more retirement type developments, and others have outlined to tax benefits.

OC obviously has much better public transportation than Orlando, the bus system is pretty easy to handle (I used to ride it daily).

Weather is also important, I would say OC has the better weather year round, as Orlando can get quite humid.

Then of course the parks...

DLR is obviously much easier to manage as it is smaller and more centralized..at the same token there is less to do, but if you wanted just a quick day trip its easy to do.

Finally, if you were considering working for either to get the benefits, keep in mind that DLR is union based so its not so easy to just get hired as a retiree and start making demands of when and how often you will work. On the other hand WDW is non-union and has less (but still many and good) benefits and lesser pay (however no state income tax and lower cost of living).

Best of luck to you and happy retirement!!

Do you currently reside in Ca? If not, the cost of living can be shocking unless you're moving from Hawaii or New York. Florida's cost of living is much more reasonable. Wages tend to be higher in Ca which typically help with COL, but that won't really effect you given you're on a fixed retirement income.

I prefer SoCal weather to Orlando, the summer is too extreme in Orlando, both offer relatively mild winters.

The DLR area gives you easy access to San Diego, Las Vegas, Palm Springs and Mexico. Orlando keeps you close to Myrtle Beach, South Beach, the redneck Riviera ( probably the nicest beaches in the mainland US) and the Bahamas. The latter group is much cheaper to visit.

On a side note, unless you make a lot of money, the state income tax is minimal. I live comfortably in NorCal and have never paid more than $2000 in state income tax. And I am able to make much more in Ca than I would in most other places. Now the housing prices in Ca...well that's a different story.

I want to thank everyone who chimed it but I have made my decision -- I shall return to the Land of My (First) Childhood for my second should I choose to head toward Southern Latitudes in the coming years.

Giving up driving a private vehicle is a change I want to make in my life sooner rather than later. It sounds like that can most efficiently be done in California.

I came to Oregon to achieve a certain lifestyle but did not, nor will I by age 60. I am going to try an interim period here without a car to prepare myself for a Last Great Adventure and to give to the community a bit longer with Dobby's attempt to set up a used toy collective for folks transitioning through homelessness and other needy type tykes. Giving up a life of the quality one can naturally have here in Oregon is insane, but perhaps I can work out a seasonal balance...

• Minion

If I'm able to retire, I'm hoping to do so near DLR and find part-time work there. I live in New York now, and the medical conditions I have that don't do well in the damp weather here can sometimes get even worse when I go to Florida. Every time I go out West, they practically disappear. They'll only get worse as I get older, and although it's not in the cards for me to relocate now for various reasons, I'd consider it a reward for a lifetime of dealing with the effects of East Coast humidity. Factoring in the better public transportation around DLR would further tip my vote in that direction.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Basically, if you want to retire in FL with a fixed income, I hope you have a lot of money to buy a house in Golden Oak. It's the only place you're going to be able to live with transportation to the parks readily available and convenient enough to use.
    -Bill