View Poll Results: What Ride Do You Want For Norway Pavillion?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Current Maelstrom Ride

6 13.04%
  • Revamp Maelstrom Ride With Special Effects and Better ride System

25 54.35%
  • Replace Maelestrom with Simple Low Budget Frozen Themed Ride

2 4.35%
  • Replace Maelstrom With Elaborate Frozen Themed Ride w/ New Ride System & Special Effects

14 30.43%
  • Implode Maelstrom and Replace It With A Snow Cone Stand

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Maelstrom To Be Remade Into elaborately cool Frozen Rude?

Add rides do not replace rides!!!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Heavy Breather

Then what are you doing on your computer? See it!! See it NAO!!

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I still haven't seen Frozen.
    It's ok. I have absolutely NO desire to see it. First time EVER that I have felt that way about a Disney movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I'll believe it when it's announced. Besides, I don't think Disney would rush to create a Frozen attraction this soon.

Remember, it took The Little Mermaid over 20 years to get an attraction, and we still don't have a B&TB, Mulan, or Tangled dark ride.
    This.

And as a rule, I personally think a movie shouldn't get it's own attraction (or even themed restaurant or shop for that matter) until it's become a time-tested classic and has proven it has staying power.

• Bangarang!

^I tend to agree... however Frozen is now the second most successful WDAS film after The Lion King (4th for the company after Toy Story and Finding Nemo) and all three of those have multiple presences in parks around the world. Of course you can argue that it took quite a few years for them to gain attractions in their own right. (And as LordVader pointed out, it took Mermaid two decades to do it).

What I'm trying to say is that the box office numbers will surely make Burbank consider it, its just a case of if they think an investment in a permanent attraction will further the films appeal.

Look at how ridiculously popular High School Musical was (comparing apples to oranges for a moment) - that lead to all the parades and shows but nothing permanent. They got what extra mileage out of it without doing a great deal. Not that HSM would be dark ride worthy.... but you get my point.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

ORDDU: I don't think it's necessary for a movie to be a success in order for an attraction based on it to be a success and I've said this many times in the past. Alice in Wonderland, for instance, was considered somewhat of a flop when it came out and yet it's always been represented at the Disney theme parks with attractions that have proven successful.

• Heavy Breather

Besides, I can't think of a way to do it.
    Make it a traditional dark ride going through the plot of the film?
    Or something that has the setting and characters from the film with a new plot and fun ride vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I don't think it's necessary for a movie to be a success in order for an attraction based on it to be a success and I've said this many times in the past. Alice in Wonderland, for instance, was considered somewhat of a flop when it came out and yet it's always been represented at the Disney theme parks with attractions that have proven successful.
    However speaking to my point, Alice in Wonderland is one of the most beloved Disney films of all time. It may have not been a huge success when it came out in the early 50s, but it has been hugely popular with Disney fans for decades and decades. (Honestly, whenever I encounter Disney fans and ask them what their favorite films are, Alice comes up 7 or 8 times out of 10.) When Disneyland was built, there was obviously a much more limited amount of films on which to base rides, I wouldn't use my argument in speaking about rides constructed back then. But now, as there are hundreds of Disney stories on which they can pull from, I've always held that the film/characters/etc should be proven classics before they become part of a park. Just because something is popular/successful now (or even a few years from now), doesn't mean it will hold over time. The Little Mermaid, mentioned above, is a great example of a film/character that continues to be very popular and loved, and in my opinion it was a great move to create a ride based on it.

• Bangarang!

^I totally agree.. but while we may think its 'too soon', the suits up in Burbank will see the numbers its pulling and look into converting that into the parks.

Not saying that they'll do it.. but I wouldn't bet against them looking into it.

Besides this would have to go through no end of hoops before the construction workers "invade" the Norwegian pavilion. Same goes for our suggestion that this goes into Fantasyland instead.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    It's ok. I have absolutely NO desire to see it. First time EVER that I have felt that way about a Disney movie.
    you are missing out, it has stunning animation and a great story

Or something that has the setting and characters from the film with a new plot and fun ride vehicles?

they are probably going to replace the big Maelstrom Trolls with the rock trolls from the movie and have them singing LOL

• Metro-Retro Historian

Why would the Maelstrom need a new ride system? What's wrong with flumes? The ride could use some effects upgrades and it could be awesome on a Pirates of the Caribbean level if there was a way to make it longer and really go all in on the viking and mythology sections.

The idea of replacing it with Frozen isn't even worth a response.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Bangarang!

I can see it now... "Vikings of the North Sea" - 'Set sail with the wildest bunch ever to roam the Norwegian Sea'

All joking aside, a more AA laden history of the country would be great.

Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    Add rides do not replace rides!!!
    A good rule of thumb to use must of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    Many do not care to see the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    This.

And as a rule, I personally think a movie shouldn't get it's own attraction (or even themed restaurant or shop for that matter) until it's become a time-tested classic and has proven it has staying power.
    Frozen, in my opinion, is based on Hans Christian Anderson's Snow Queen story. If Disney had decided to have conjred up a different story that was only based on his Mermaid story and had a different title, setting and characters, I doubt that it would have stood the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    ^I tend to agree... however Frozen is now the second most successful WDAS film after The Lion King (4th for the company after Toy Story and Finding Nemo) and all three of those have multiple presences in parks around the world. Of course you can argue that it took quite a few years for them to gain attractions in their own right. (And as LordVader pointed out, it took Mermaid two decades to do it).

What I'm trying to say is that the box office numbers will surely make Burbank consider it, its just a case of if they think an investment in a permanent attraction will further the films appeal.

Look at how ridiculously popular High School Musical was (comparing apples to oranges for a moment) - that lead to all the parades and shows but nothing permanent. They got what extra mileage out of it without doing a great deal. Not that HSM would be dark ride worthy.... but you get my point.
    Got to admire Frozens creaters for garnering the good box office. Nevertheless - I feel most of the credit should go to Hans Christian Amnderson for his Snow Queen thematic pedicessor, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    Alice is an ecellent example of a film that took years to become commercially successful plus achieve classic status. It's not only inspired several popular park rides (and a Mad T Party celebration), but a recent live action Wonderland film, and a Thru The Looking Glass film coming down the road.

Traditional dark ride or innivative modern ride? Disney could probably creat the best ride by including elements of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    However speaking to my point, Alice in Wonderland is one of the most beloved Disney films of all time. It may have not been a huge success when it came out in the early 50s, but it has been hugely popular with Disney fans for decades and decades. (Honestly, whenever I encounter Disney fans and ask them what their favorite films are, Alice comes up 7 or 8 times out of 10.) When Disneyland was built, there was obviously a much more limited amount of films on which to base rides, I wouldn't use my argument in speaking about rides constructed back then. But now, as there are hundreds of Disney stories on which they can pull from, I've always held that the film/characters/etc should be proven classics before they become part of a park. Just because something is popular/successful now (or even a few years from now), doesn't mean it will hold over time. The Little Mermaid, mentioned above, is a great example of a film/character that continues to be very popular and loved, and in my opinion it was a great move to create a ride based on it.
    I agree with you monda Mouse. It's too bad that disney creative Tony Baxter had to promote the idea of a Little Mermaid ride for years and years. On the other hand, the wait did profuce for us new high-er tech generation of AA, and better sound systems for music, along with other advanced elements.

^I totally agree.. but while we may think its 'too soon', the suits up in Burbank will see the numbers its pulling and look into converting that into the parks.

Not saying that they'll do it.. but I wouldn't bet against them looking into it.

Besides this would have to go through no end of hoops before the construction workers "invade" the Norwegian pavilion. Same goes for our suggestion that this goes into Fantasyland instead.
    You are right. Whatever the suits decide to do, it will likely be a along time before any ride is approved and the construction is started.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    you are missing out, it has stunning animation and a great story
    The animation was indeed sexceptionally stunning - as was the story. Two or three of the songs were also great. While the story was unique and riveting, much of the story's crtedit (in my opinion) should go to Hans Christian Anerson and his Snow Queen story.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    they are probably going to replace the big Maelstrom Trolls with the rock trolls from the movie and have them singing LOL
    Yep....Rock 'n Roll Trolls, literaly!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Why would the Maelstrom need a new ride system? What's wrong with flumes? The ride could use some effects upgrades and it could be awesome on a Pirates of the Caribbean level if there was a way to make it longer and really go all in on the viking and mythology sections.

The idea of replacing it with Frozen isn't even worth a response.
    I would love to see an upgraded Maelstrom ride, with much longer flums.

I can see it now... "Vikings of the North Sea" - 'Set sail with the wildest bunch ever to roam the Norwegian Sea' .
    That would make for a wonderful ride.

All joking aside, a more AA laden history of the country would be great.
    More AA that contain newer more advanced and generations of technology.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Sorry, Frozen doesn't resemble the Hans Christian Andersen story. It is a completely new creation in the same way Tangled is completely different from Rapunzel. I have no problem with the movie in the Norway pavilion since it doesn't matter. Fantasy movies should be taken as such. It seems to have taken cultural cues from that region so whether Frozen may be situated there or nearby, it isn't much of a stretch. It is funny that the snowman, Olaf, pines for the summer beach. That's ridiculous, but people seem to overlook it. Norway is the closest to a northern European cold climate country. Less of a stretch is putting Mulan in China, but that pavilion has no ride.

It should be noted that Hans is from Denmark where the language of Danish closely resembles Norwegian. They are Scandinavian languages in the Northern European region. For all we know, Lapland is there.
    Last edited by StevenW; 01-06-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast