View Poll Results: What Ride Do You Want For Norway Pavillion?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Current Maelstrom Ride

6 13.04%
  • Revamp Maelstrom Ride With Special Effects and Better ride System

25 54.35%
  • Replace Maelestrom with Simple Low Budget Frozen Themed Ride

2 4.35%
  • Replace Maelstrom With Elaborate Frozen Themed Ride w/ New Ride System & Special Effects

14 30.43%
  • Implode Maelstrom and Replace It With A Snow Cone Stand

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Maelstrom To Be Remade Into elaborately cool Frozen Rude?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    It is funny that the snowman, Olaf, pines for the summer beach. That's ridiculous, but people seem to overlook it. Norway is the closest to a northern European cold climate country. Less of a stretch is putting Mulan in China, but that pavilion has no ride.
    Olaf's song is the comic relief. And China has the Reflections of China Circlerama film.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    That would make for a wonderful ride.
    I can here 'em now..

"Y H! Y H! En Vikings life fuuur me!"

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Sorry, Frozen doesn't resemble the Hans Christian Andersen story. It is a completely new creation in the same way Tangled is completely different from Rapunzel. I have no problem with the movie in the Norway pavilion since it doesn't matter. Fantasy movies should be taken as such. It seems to have taken cultural cues from that region so whether Frozen may be situated there or nearby, it isn't much of a stretch. It is funny that the snowman, Olaf, pines for the summer beach. That's ridiculous, but people seem to overlook it. Norway is the closest to a northern European cold climate country. Less of a stretch is putting Mulan in China, but that pavilion has no ride.

It should be noted that Hans is from Denmark where the language of Danish closely resembles Norwegian. They are Scandinavian languages in the Northern European region. For all we know, Lapland is there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2294629/fullcredits
    Disney has included Anderson's Snow Queen as a credited source.

I agree that Frozen would be a good fit and replacement for the current Norway ride, especially since both are fictional spins on Noregian cultre.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-07-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Originally Posted by StevenW It is funny that the snowman, Olaf, pines for the summer beach. That's ridiculous, but people seem to overlook it. Norway is the closest to a northern European cold climate country. Less of a stretch is putting Mulan in China, but that pavilion has no ride.

Olaf's song is the comic relief. And China has the Reflections of China Circlerama film.
    Olaf the snowman pines for a summer beach while a deer pines for his carrot nose! ha ha! Olaf is the primary source of endless comic relief thoughout the film. His character is very wonderful and warm (in a Frozen way.

World Showcase has needed more rides for th longest time.

I can here 'em now..

"Y H! Y H! En Vikings life fuuur me!"
    Ja Ja Takk! En Vikings life fuuur me! Y H!

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Besides, I can't think of a way to do it.
    Make it a traditional dark ride going through the plot of the film?
    Or something that has the setting and characters from the film with a new plot and fun ride vehicles?
    It could be a trackless dark ride where you're riding a sled on an ice trail. You'll encounter all the things in the frozen kingdom that you do in the film. It doesn't have to follow the movie exactly. It could have the dark tone of Snow White's Scary Adventures with dashes of TLM inbetween. Just don't go overboard with the musical numbers though. The movie had a few good songs and then others that just felt REALLY out of place.

Retheming Maelstrom to this would be a cop-out when there's so much potential just making this ride fresh from scratch.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    It could be a trackless dark ride where you're riding a sled on an ice trail. You'll encounter all the things in the frozen kingdom that you do in the film. It doesn't have to follow the movie exactly. It could have the dark tone of Snow White's Scary Adventures with dashes of TLM inbetween. Just don't go overboard with the musical numbers though. The movie had a few good songs and then others that just felt REALLY out of place.

Retheming Maelstrom to this would be a cop-out when there's so much potential just making this ride fresh from scratch.
    You have a super creative grasp, Toonaspie, for how to innovatively carry out the technical details of possible rides such as Frozen in order to match the related story to the physical action/surroundings.

• Iron-Clad Allie

It wasn't. It (Frozen's story setting) was set in a fictional kingdom meant to be heavily influenced by Norway.

As for the ride idea, I will say that the last time a World Showcase ride was rethemed to a Disney animated film, the result was a combination of sloppy theming and a killing of atmosphere. Granted the original ride was nothing to write home about, but the few elements of the ride that did work were killed in its re-Disneyfication.

Since Maelstrom has a strong cult following, I'd say the suits are treading some dangerous waters here.
    Exceptionally well expessed post as to the cultural/national setting of Frozen.

• Minion

I agree with Ride Warrior, great idea there Toonaspie. It'd make a great addition to Fantasyland.

As for the'Frozen Maelstrom' what worries me is how we never thought that they'd replace El Rio del Tiempo with The Three Caballeros....but it happened. Plus it wouldn't be too difficult to redress the Maelstom as it is.
    Replace the opening scene AAs with Elsa and Anna, add Kristoff and Sven to the next, then convert the Troll AA to the giant snowman, out go the polar bears for a scene with Olaf and add the stone Trolls in the big drop u-bend.
    Finally redress the dock to resemble Arendelle and replace the oil rig with a tall sail ship.
    *sigh*
    All followed by a quick short in the movie theatre showing Olaf 'having fun' in the Florida Norwegian summer, showing you the sights of Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger and Trondheim. (Just like Martin Short does for Canada )

I know that's easier to type than to physically do, but as El Rio proved, you don't have to rip things out to add characters to an attraction.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Why would the Maelstrom need a new ride system? What's wrong with flumes? The ride could use some effects upgrades and it could be awesome on a Pirates of the Caribbean level if there was a way to make it longer and really go all in on the viking and mythology sections.

The idea of replacing it with Frozen isn't even worth a response.
    As with your view Dapper Dan, I've always thought that Maelstrom should be much longer and with some eticket type features consistant with rides like pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    they are probably going to replace the big Maelstrom Trolls with the rock trolls from the movie and have them singing LOL
    (Sung to the tune of The Jefferson's TV show)
    Rock trolls are gonna be moving on up! -moving on up! - to the big golden boulder in the sky....

Moving on up! - Moving on up! They've finally got a piece of the Disney Maelstrom pie....

I can see it now... "Vikings of the North Sea" - 'Set sail with the wildest bunch ever to roam the Norwegian Sea'

All joking aside, a more AA laden history of the country would be great.
    Increasing the number and technical quality of an older ride is always a good idea.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I agree with Ride Warrior, great idea there Toonaspie. It'd make a great addition to Fantasyland.

As for the'Frozen Maelstrom' what worries me is how we never thought that they'd replace El Rio del Tiempo with The Three Caballeros....but it happened. Plus it wouldn't be too difficult to redress the Maelstom as it is.
    Replace the opening scene AAs with Elsa and Anna, add Kristoff and Sven to the next, then convert the Troll AA to the giant snowman, out go the polar bears for a scene with Olaf and add the stone Trolls in the big drop u-bend.
    Finally redress the dock to resemble Arendelle and replace the oil rig with a tall sail ship.
    *sigh*
    All followed by a quick short in the movie theatre showing Olaf 'having fun' in the Florida Norwegian summer, showing you the sights of Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger and Trondheim. (Just like Martin Short does for Canada )

I know that's easier to type than to physically do, but as El Rio proved, you don't have to rip things out to add characters to an attraction.
    Well thought out point Hathaway. Great perspective that you brought out that the elements can be shifted around in such a way that the theming for a new ride such as Frozen be brought out (in a cost saving, yet major attraction fashion) by live parts of a another related attraction (such as Maelstrom) as a respectful nod.

Your cross referencing El Rio del Tiempo and Three Caballeros is very apropos.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-08-2014 at 03:43 PM.

• Minion

^Well I do try.

Even though I agree that the film is not a well-loved-classic just yet, and that there are many issues about adding a fictional setting to a World Showcase pavilion, you just can't dismiss it too readily. As I said, El Rio proved that.

Let's just hope that the hierarchy in Glendale can guide this proposal in the right direction - away from Norway and into Cinderella's backyard.

Walt Disney

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    As with your view Dapper Dan, I've always thought that Maelstrom should be much longer and with some eticket type features consistant with rides like pirates.
    From what I've read, the Maelstrom was originally supposed to be longer and have a bigger drop into the storm scene in the finale. There was even a plan at one point to use a tesla coil so the storm could have real lightning. However, the budget was cut, shortening the ride, and the sponsor wanted a ride that everyone could enjoy so the drops became tame enough to avoid height/age restrictions.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

Crikey! I have to pluck up courage to go on the Maelstrom as it is, I'm kinda glad they didn't go with the stormy version.

Walt Disney

• Nutty about Disney parks

I seem to be in the minority in my dislike for Gran Fiesta Tour, not merely because of it being a Disney character shoe-in. But because they used the same ride as El Rio de Tiempo and just changed the video screens, the ride actually makes less sense. The first part of the ride was meant to give the experience of touring an Aztec(?) temple. The film footage from El Rio de Tiempo was meant to reflect the setting of the scene of the ride. Now the first part of Gran Fiesta Tour just feels like you're watching a cartoon while riding on a boat.

Had Gran Fiesta Tour been made from scratch they would have the scenery reflect the story they're trying to tell through the ride. They don't even change the scenery from El Rio de Tiempo to help Gran Fiesta Tour make any sense. It feels lazy, tacked on, and nonsensical to me as a result. I just hope they don't make these same mistakes if they're gonna change Maelstrom to a Frozen ride. Though I still would prefer a Frozen ride be done from scratch. A film like that deserves better than being a reskin of a preexisting ride.

• Minion

^I couldn't agree with you more. El Rio was a classic and its such a shame that it got an overlay that seems to cheapen the original experience.

Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

^Well I do try.

Even though I agree that the film is not a well-loved-classic just yet, and that there are many issues about adding a fictional setting to a World Showcase pavilion, you just can't dismiss it too readily. As I said, El Rio proved that.

Let's just hope that the hierarchy in Glendale can guide this proposal in the right direction - away from Norway and into Cinderella's backyard.
    Haven't been on El Tiempo or Caballeros Three, so I was unaware of wht a wash the revamp was. With this new information to go by, I would say either invest in keepint Maelstrom (but renovate it into an eticket, or tear it out and create aFrozen eticket from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    From what I've read, the Maelstrom was originally supposed to be longer and have a bigger drop into the storm scene in the finale. There was even a plan at one point to use a tesla coil so the storm could have real lightning. However, the budget was cut, shortening the ride, and the sponsor wanted a ride that everyone could enjoy so the drops became tame enough to avoid height/age restrictions.
    I wouldn't mind the ride remaining as is if it were not for the fact that there are no middle ground exciting rides at World Showcase, let alone etickets.

Crikey! I have to pluck up courage to go on the Maelstrom as it is, I'm kinda glad they didn't go with the stormy version.
    Wish I was more courageoud too. I remember the first time I splashed down Splash Mountain's big drop. I was frightened to no end, but I loved it....and ride it more than onve whenever I visit Disneyland.

Now it's Tower of Teror and California Screamin' that have me cringing at the thought of trying. Thinking about giving them a shot on my next visit. Hopefully my reaction will be like my mon's when I talked her into braving the Matterhorn bobsleds. She shouted out toward right after splash down, "I concurred the Matterhorn!"

I seem to be in the minority in my dislike for Gran Fiesta Tour, not merely because of it being a Disney character shoe-in. But because they used the same ride as El Rio de Tiempo and just changed the video screens, the ride actually makes less sense. The first part of the ride was meant to give the experience of touring an Aztec(?) temple. The film footage from El Rio de Tiempo was meant to reflect the setting of the scene of the ride. Now the first part of Gran Fiesta Tour just feels like you're watching a cartoon while riding on a boat.

Had Gran Fiesta Tour been made from scratch they would have the scenery reflect the story they're trying to tell through the ride. They don't even change the scenery from El Rio de Tiempo to help Gran Fiesta Tour make any sense. It feels lazy, tacked on, and nonsensical to me as a result. I just hope they don't make these same mistakes if they're gonna change Maelstrom to a Frozen ride. Though I still would prefer a Frozen ride be done from scratch. A film like that deserves better than being a reskin of a preexisting ride.
    In your discription, I now have a better understanding of what El Rio was like, and it sounds great. Wish bot rides were offerred.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast