View Poll Results: What Ride Do You Want For Norway Pavillion?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Current Maelstrom Ride

6 13.04%
  • Revamp Maelstrom Ride With Special Effects and Better ride System

25 54.35%
  • Replace Maelestrom with Simple Low Budget Frozen Themed Ride

2 4.35%
  • Replace Maelstrom With Elaborate Frozen Themed Ride w/ New Ride System & Special Effects

14 30.43%
  • Implode Maelstrom and Replace It With A Snow Cone Stand

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: Maelstrom To Be Remade Into elaborately cool Frozen Rude?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Sorry, Frozen doesn't resemble the Hans Christian Andersen story. It is a completely new creation in the same way Tangled is completely different from Rapunzel. I have no problem with the movie in the Norway pavilion since it doesn't matter. Fantasy movies should be taken as such. It seems to have taken cultural cues from that region so whether Frozen may be situated there or nearby, it isn't much of a stretch. It is funny that the snowman, Olaf, pines for the summer beach. That's ridiculous, but people seem to overlook it. Norway is the closest to a northern European cold climate country. Less of a stretch is putting Mulan in China, but that pavilion has no ride.

It should be noted that Hans is from Denmark where the language of Danish closely resembles Norwegian. They are Scandinavian languages in the Northern European region. For all we know, Lapland is there.
    Tangled is more closer to Rapunzel however than Frozen was to The Snow Queen. Whereas Rapunzel kept some of the names intact, it bothers me a bit that the characters in The Snow Queen had names (even the reindeer) and they were ALL changed for the movie. And since the story is not much like The Snow Queen anyway it doesn't really count as an adaptation the way Tangled was for Rapunzel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    You have a super creative grasp, Toonaspie, for how to innovatively carry out the technical details of possible rides such as Frozen in order to match the related story to the physical action/surroundings.
    Thanks. I didn't realize till after writing that post that I pretty much describing Mystic Manor with the special effects and everything. I'd rather see a Frozen ride reskinned from Mystic Manor than I would from Maelstrom.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Tangled is more closer to Rapunzel however than Frozen was to The Snow Queen. Whereas Rapunzel kept some of the names intact, it bothers me a bit that the characters in The Snow Queen had names (even the reindeer) and they were ALL changed for the movie. And since the story is not much like The Snow Queen anyway it doesn't really count as an adaptation the way Tangled was for Rapunzel.
    Rapunzel 's name was intact, but not the meaning behind it, which is a herb (rampion). Her mother was not a Queen, but a woman who enjoyed eating the herb that belonged in a garden of a enchantress. The price of eating the forbidden herb is Rapunzel herself. Rapunzel's long hair had no actual powers. Rapunzel came to know the King's son, not some rogue thief. Rapunzel was imprisoned; her hair kept her inside for there is no other way down. The enchantress kept her for herself except when she found out about her relationship with the prince and cut off her hair and cast her off.

As for Frozen, the only thing resembling the original story was the Snow Queen and trolls, but it doesn't do much with the original characters and story.

• Cool Yule

Haven't been on El Tiempo or Caballeros Three, so I was unaware of wht a wash the revamp was.
    El Rio was an EPCOT classic, nay a Disney classic. Was it dated? sure, but it just had a wonderful ('80's) charm about it that managed to get a little bit of history mixed in with all the fun of a fiesta. Plus it had an incredible theme song.

Whereas nowadays we have a sugar rush for the digital generation.

It is probably up there with what they did to Imagination and the Tiki Room.. nice ideas but it never improved on the original. Which worries me when it comes to the Maelstrom. They can do it, and have done it in the past.

Now it's Tower of Teror and California Screamin' that have me cringing at the thought of trying.
    I love ToT... well just the gift shop. Don't expect me to actually go on the ride itself!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Thanks. I didn't realize till after writing that post that I pretty much describing Mystic Manor with the special effects and everything.
    Well I wouldn't worry about that.. Mystic Manor seems to be a wonderful attraction. I can see how you were inspired by it.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Maelstrom has always felt like a shoddy marketing piece, designed to loosely tie the two things that have [apparently] ever occurred in Scandinavia together. The heavy, bordering on crude, emphasis on Norway's oil industry in the attraction just feels too slick and it's always bothered me. The land itself is lovely and, as a person of Scandinavian descent, I appreciate being able to catch a glimpse of where my family comes from.

I knew very, very little about Frozen when I went to see it a couple weeks back, but instantly recognized that the art direction dovetailed right into the Norway Pavilion at WDW. Clearly, Disney's Frozen production team had explored Norway as they designed the picture.

I can see Tangled, Frozen, Princess and the Frog all turned into fantastic dark attractions. Surely, Disney looks at these franchises for inclusion in the parks.

I think the challenge they have in Orlando is that Magic Kingdom is so disproportionately full of ride attractions that they can't put more there while ignoring Hollywood Studios or Epcot, which clearly need updating and reinvigoration from an attractions standpoint.

Perhaps this gap is being addressed with the strange, disturbing - erm, read: "synergistic" - relationship with Avatar at Animal Kingdom, but the other two parks really are foundering in place.

If there is anything to the Maelstrom rumor, that would be the reason to do it at Epcot.
    ~ Erik

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234