Lights, Motors, Action Replacement?

Let's be honest, Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show is very impressive, but it needs to be replaced. Since its opening in March 2005, Disney has acquired huge companies like Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. While we did see Lightning McQueen replace Herbie in 2011, that's not quite enough to make people want to see the show more than once or twice. I think a replacement for LMA is well overdue. That's where the problem starts. Since LMA's debut, there are almost TOO many brands that could replace it. While I would LOVE a new Star Wars land, there's already a Star Wars ride in the middle of the park. I love Muppet-Vision 3D way too much to get rid of it just for the sake of location. Honestly, I think that Cars Land is the safest bet, and ultimately the option the Disney will take, due to the overwhelming success of Cars Land at DCA. What do you guys think? Should Disney go with Star Wars, Cars, or something completely different?
    I like to think of myself as a "realistic disney nerd"... yeaahhh maybe not.

Re: Lights, Motors, Action Replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by MrToddsMildRide View Post
    Let's be honest, Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show is very impressive, but it needs to be replaced. Since its opening in March 2005, Disney has acquired huge companies like Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. While we did see Lightning McQueen replace Herbie in 2011, that's not quite enough to make people want to see the show more than once or twice.
    So no IP = no good?

ok.

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by danlb_2000 View Post
    Like it or not IP based attractions is the way Disney seems to be going. I doubt we will see a new attraction in the near future that is not based on an IP.
    I'd have to agree with you 90% of the time on this one. I'm holding out that the success of attractions like the Grizzly Gulch mine train ride or Mystic Manor will reinvigorate the imagineers to create new original attractions stateside.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

I expect that Lights, Motors, Action is not long for DHS. They're more likely to keep Indy as their stunt show given the purchase of the rights by Disney. I think that amount of real estate is too valuable to use for a show that has lost much of its popularity. While it's hard to say if it will be a Star Wars land or something else, I see it replaced in the next 3-4 years.

I see Hollywood Studios getting a complete makeover similar to that of California Adventure but not on such a grand scale since the suits inFlorida don't like to spend as much money on attractions. They'd rather spend it on My Magic Plus.

I do envision the entire back of the park from Star Tours to Toy Story Mania being redeveloped into perhaps a Star Wars themed area and/or a Cars Land type area. There is plenty of room back there for both areas and the back of the park is literally deserted most of the time. They need something to pull people back there and Muppets, Backlot Tour and LMA aren't doing the job.

I did hear rumors on another site that this past Christmas may have been the last year for the Osborne Spectacle of Lights. If that is true maybe the transformation is right around the corner. With 3 new Star Wars films in the making and the success of Cars Land in California I would think it an opportune time to infuse some life into this park.

But then again, the suits in Orlando don't have a good track record for making sound decisions.

A cast member friend of mine told me it will be closing.

• Cool Yule

As much as I like Moteurs..Action!, I thought that LMA was an odd choice for DHS - particularly when they already have Indy.

Sure, it'd be a shame to see a non-character based attraction go, but there's plenty more they could do with the space.

Star Wars would be the best choice, if you can't go Marvel..

Here's the question though - how much space are we talking? One E-Ticket or a couple of C/Ds perhaps?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    As much as I like Moteurs..Action!, I thought that LMA was an odd choice for DHS - particularly when they already have Indy.

Sure, it'd be a shame to see a non-character based attraction go, but there's plenty more they could do with the space.

Star Wars would be the best choice, if you can't go Marvel..

Here's the question though - how much space are we talking? One E-Ticket or a couple of C/Ds perhaps?
    In my opinion, the best use of the space is a muppet studios expansion into a land in and of itself, and a rerouting of the backlot tour that would allow for an expansion of pixar studios and the addition of a couple attractions as well as possibly a restaurant. the lucas properties should all stay together.

DHS has a vast IP library to pull from. And almost anything can be done here, because the park has no appreciable or defensible theme. If anything, it is Los Angeles, circa 1930-something park. It isn't a practical studio and the veneer suggesting that it is has become thinner and thinner over the years.

Marvel and Star Wars can fit into that park without bringing any of the head-scratching (as you would get if you tried to bring them to DCA or that we're seeing with the addition of Avatar to AK).
    ~ Erik

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    DHS has a vast IP library to pull from. And almost anything can be done here, because the park has no appreciable or defensible theme. If anything, it is Los Angeles, circa 1930-something park. It isn't a practical studio and the veneer suggesting that it is has become thinner and thinner over the years.

Marvel and Star Wars can fit into that park without bringing any of the head-scratching (as you would get if you tried to bring them to DCA or that we're seeing with the addition of Avatar to AK).
    supposedly the general theme of the park is going into the studios and seeing the behind the scenes of how a movie is made. this is supported by all the backlot based theming and whenever you enter an attraction it used to look like your entering a stage with the red scaffolding and yellow hazzard signage. this is slowly being reversed now however adopting a more universal-esque theme of walking directly into the movies and not just onto their stages the exterior will remain rather the same as separating the lands into 'studios' is a rather convenient method in a park with so many different themes like this but as mentioned previously ints the interiors and minor details that are and have been changing to fit this new direction.

• Cool Yule

I know some don't like the Studios for its theme, and with the exception of some of the newer additions, I love its pastiche theme. Its almost like the theme of the park is Disney's Hollywood Studios (if that makes sense), sure the 'working studio' aspect is long gone, and that's probably for the best. It is uniquely DHS. Just take a look at its French cousin for how it could be without this theme.

Anyway.. having a quick look on Google Maps and I'm surprised at how big LMA is. I would imagine you could have an E, C and D on there.

One issue though.. no matter if its Star Wars or Muppets, both existing attractions are too far away to be tied into the area. Wouldn't it be odd to have them in separate parts of the park?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    One issue though.. no matter if its Star Wars or Muppets, both existing attractions are too far away to be tied into the area. Wouldn't it be odd to have them in separate parts of the park?
    I agree about star wars, realistically it makes zero sense to put it there, separating it from the proverbial lucas land and star tours.

what is enticing for a muppetland however is eliminating LMA (as cool of a show as it is) allows for the shuffling of other things in the area, most notably the backlot tour. This kills two birds with one stone essentially as the backlot tour is in desperate need of a sprucing up (if they plan to keep it moving forward, and a change of the path/ footprint would be one part of a major reconstruction to make it a viable solid attraction again. furthermore by association it would open up space for a pixar place expansion which is desperately needed. this then would allow for the removal of the cars meet and greet and the rethemeing of pizza planet. combined with the demo and expansion into the backlot theatre area and into mama melrose's along with an upating of muppetvision and you have an awesome new land along with a true pixar land as opposed to the minor toy story area pixar place currently is.