Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 113
  1. #46

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    417

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Disney Parks at night have an incredible atmosphere. The fireworks, unique lighting, shows, and parades in the various parks make for an incredible experience after dark. I love that time and I know most of you do as well.

    I live on the west coast and averaged a visit a year to Disneyland my entire life. As I neared my mid-thirties I couldn't believe that I had never made it to the Walt Disney World Resort. So I planned a trip with my girlfriend (now wife) and my mother for 2008, and we all absolutely loved it. I did as little research as possible so most of it would be a totally new experience and we could discover things about the parks ourselves.

    The thing that surprised me the most? No night time experience at Disney's Animal Kingdom! I loved the park but it felt weird to leave so early. I understood why, but I was definitely disappointed. Which is why I think adding Avatar Land to DAK is a brilliant move. The bioluminescent jungles of Pandora at night? Yes, I definitely want to experience that. It will be a totally unique experience unlike anything ANYWHERE. Which is what makes a great theme park great, a unique experience you can't really get anywhere else.

    I thought AVATAR was a good movie, but it's the weakest of James Cameron's films. But as other mice chatters have pointed out the film isn't the most important part, the land and attractions will be. I don't really care for CARS or CARS 2, but Cars Land is awesome. And lets not forget that James Cameron is responsible for two of the best genre sequels ever made: ALIENS and TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY. He is making three sequels to AVATAR and he has earned the benefit of the doubt on sequels. I'm quite confident that they'll add a whole bunch of fascinating new things to the world of Avatar, and then they can expand Avatar Land even more in the coming years.

    And a nighttime Kilimanjaro Safari? YES!

    It's an exciting time for Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    Last edited by Disney Adventure; 01-19-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Didn't finish

  2. #47

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I think the twin racing roller coaster was the whole point of Beastly Kingdom. Without the featured roller coaster, they don't have much else to pursue.

    Beastly Kingdom must also resort to the same tired King Arthur back story. It was tired for a very long time. We have moved forward to The Avengers as the heroes that kids aspire.

    This development will be secondary to the big projects of today. If you want a sort of throw away perfunctory Beastly Kingdom, maybe it could be done like what they did with Dino-land.
    The idea that the twin roller coaster is the only reason to pursue the Beastly Kingdom makes no sense. Is there no reason to pursue Tomorrowland without Space Mountain? The other problem with that thought is that no concepts that I've ever seen for Beastly Kingdom included a twin roller coaster. That development didn't happen until the project was taken up by Universal.

    While the Beastly Kingdom concepts that were revealed did center around a medieval European setting there's no reason that it is the only one possible. Mythical creatures permeate all cultures to the point that with little time and imagination you could probably come up with enough settings to fill an entire park. Western Europe, Greece, Egypt, China, India, Africa, forests, oceans, underground; you could really make an entire other Animal Kingdom just for mythical creatures if you were so inclined.

    That's what you want when you make a land, enough possible concepts to make more attractions, stores, and restaurants than you would ever be able to fit in one little land. That way when you pick the best half dozen or so, you end up with the best of the best with plenty on the back burner for future development. What you don't want is to take a narrow concept and come up with enough ideas that fit it to justify construction.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  3. #48

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The idea that the twin roller coaster is the only reason to pursue the Beastly Kingdom makes no sense. Is there no reason to pursue Tomorrowland without Space Mountain? The other problem with that thought is that no concepts that I've ever seen for Beastly Kingdom included a twin roller coaster. That development didn't happen until the project was taken up by Universal.
    Uhhh? YES, Space Mountain is the signature attraction of Tomorrowland in all the Disneyland theme parks.

    You do realize that Universal's IOA was created by former Imagineers and I read that they took ideas from Beastly Kingdom that made it into IOA. So I would say Beastly Kingdom main selling points were stolen. And yes, they stole Disney's original reason for the Beastly Kingdom.

    The fact that we saw few concepts of Beastly Kingdom means little when we seen Universal's IOA as the realization of the concept where they had the "Dueling Dragons" and the "Flying Unicorn" in the former Merlinwood land.

    While the Beastly Kingdom concepts that were revealed did center around a medieval European setting there's no reason that it is the only one possible. Mythical creatures permeate all cultures to the point that with little time and imagination you could probably come up with enough settings to fill an entire park. Western Europe, Greece, Egypt, China, India, Africa, forests, oceans, underground; you could really make an entire other Animal Kingdom just for mythical creatures if you were so inclined.

    That's what you want when you make a land, enough possible concepts to make more attractions, stores, and restaurants than you would ever be able to fit in one little land. That way when you pick the best half dozen or so, you end up with the best of the best with plenty on the back burner for future development. What you don't want is to take a narrow concept and come up with enough ideas that fit it to justify construction.
    The can certainly try. I'm not sure it can be called Beastly Kingdom anymore.

  4. #49

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Uhhh? YES, Space Mountain is the signature attraction of Tomorrowland in all the Disneyland theme parks.

    You do realize that Universal's IOA was created by former Imagineers and I read that they took ideas from Beastly Kingdom that made it into IOA. So I would say Beastly Kingdom main selling points were stolen. And yes, they stole Disney's original reason for the Beastly Kingdom.

    The fact that we saw few concepts of Beastly Kingdom means little when we seen Universal's IOA as the realization of the concept where they had the "Dueling Dragons" and the "Flying Unicorn" in the former Merlinwood land.

    The can certainly try. I'm not sure it can be called Beastly Kingdom anymore.
    Two of those Disneyland theme parks had Tomorrowland without Space Mountain. One of them even went 20 years without one.

    The Imagineers that were developing Beastly Kingdom were fired when the project was put on hold only to be hired by Universal to develop the Lost Continent island of Islands of adventure. "Dueling Dragons" is the suspended roller coaster representing a fight between a fire dragon and an ice dragon with a really cool medieval castle and cave for a queue. The "Dragon Tower" concept for Beastly Kingdom was a single suspended roller coaster track that was supposed to represent a group of bats who were trying to steal treasure from a dragon. The "Flying Unicorn" was a simple Kiddie coaster. "Quest for the Unicorn" was an ancestor to the interactive queue in a hedge maze climaxing with an encounter with an animatronic unicorn.

    Lost Continent is as much of a realization of the Beastly Kingdom concepts as The Men in Black ride is the realization of "Plectus Fantastic Galactic Revue".
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  5. #50

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Two of those Disneyland theme parks had Tomorrowland without Space Mountain. One of them even went 20 years without one.

    The Imagineers that were developing Beastly Kingdom were fired when the project was put on hold only to be hired by Universal to develop the Lost Continent island of Islands of adventure. "Dueling Dragons" is the suspended roller coaster representing a fight between a fire dragon and an ice dragon with a really cool medieval castle and cave for a queue. The "Dragon Tower" concept for Beastly Kingdom was a single suspended roller coaster track that was supposed to represent a group of bats who were trying to steal treasure from a dragon. The "Flying Unicorn" was a simple Kiddie coaster. "Quest for the Unicorn" was an ancestor to the interactive queue in a hedge maze climaxing with an encounter with an animatronic unicorn.

    Lost Continent is as much of a realization of the Beastly Kingdom concepts as The Men in Black ride is the realization of "Plectus Fantastic Galactic Revue".
    Which park doesn't have a Space Mountain?

    With Harry Potter absorbing the dragon and unicorn coaster, it is even less of whatever is Beastly Kingdom. So???

    The ideas were still stolen and apparently absorbed into the Lost Continent, and we still have no idea of what Disney will do with the Beastly Kingdom as they can tweak it to be anything they want. At this point, it wouldn't matter since it will be perceived to be an Universal knock off. Yes, a knock off, which was how they came upon D/MGM Studios.

    I can't wait for the Harry Potter killer. It wont be Beastly Kingdom since this is the worst approach. Its like taking a Disney idea, improved upon by Universal, and discarded by Universal, and Disney will bring it home (The creator of Dino-land as if they can out do Universal's Jurassic Park.)

    "Plectus Fantastic Galactic Revue" Really, you shouldn't have.

  6. #51

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,816

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Which park doesn't have a Space Mountain?

    .
    He is simply saying that Disneyland's Tomorrowland has gone without Space Mountain from 1955 to 1977.




  7. #52

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alexandria. VA
    Posts
    14

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    I think people are kind of missing the point here. It isn't simple branding for the purpose of merch sales.

    I'm certain Disney isn't going to be banking on Avatar being a big name. The first film caused euphoria, but the moment it left theaters the magic was lost. I swore up and down when I saw it in the theater it was the best movie yet created... but then, I see it on DVD, without 3D or surround sound or a big screen... and I realize how mediocre it is. I'm sure Disney noticed that many people had a similar reaction- that it was the experience in the theater that captured them, that they were transported to a world due to the 3D filming techniques and the unique designs the artists behind the film made. I mean, several people around the world fell into a depression due to how exciting the film was and realizing how un-magical reality was. Now they have the opportunity to bring this world to life. Why wouldn't they? Or, rather, why shouldn't they?

    And it isn't as if it'll permeate the rest of the park besides some merchandise here and there. It'll just be a part of expanding the park to nighttime hours, which, let's face it, it does desperately need.

    Let's suppose that Avatar wasn't an old brand, that it was something Disney created. Let's say that Disney was introducing this as a land for the purpose of a hypothetical look at alien life, which no serious scientist can deny exists in some capacity. Would there still be complaints? If so, why? Why is it that alien creatures can't be afforded a land in Animal Kingdom when living creatures have the entire rest of the park?

    Then also consider that if they open an E-ticket and a D-ticket in Avatarland, they can shut down EE for a few weeks or months to repair the yeti without worrying about people not having enough things to do. If they were to do that now, the park would become much more crowded.

  8. #53

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Mewshuji View Post
    I'm certain Disney isn't going to be banking on Avatar being a big name.
    Avatar is a big box office draw. It won't be an under the radar low profile project. If it was low profile, the reception will be similar to the terrible Dino-land. No one cares for Dino-land, but many care about Avatar to the point of outrage. Sweep it under the rug if you can. I doubt it.

  9. #54

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    He is simply saying that Disneyland's Tomorrowland has gone without Space Mountain from 1955 to 1977.
    WDW and Paris didn't have one either for a number of years. They ALL have one now.

    The point is the signature attraction of Space Mountain exists for all Tomorrowlands.

  10. #55

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    WDW and Paris didn't have one either for a number of years. They ALL have one now.

    The point is the signature attraction of Space Mountain exists for all Tomorrowlands.
    The point is Space Mountain exists because of Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland doesn't exist because of Space Mountain.

    The Animal Kingdom desperately needs more attractions, indoor space, and things that can allow the park to stay open later. There are several ways that these things can be solved. Disney decided the best way to do this would be by adding a new land. They decided this land needed to be based on a blockbuster movie because that's exactly what Universal does. That's how we get Avatar. It's still a cut rate attempt at a Harry Potter ripoff.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  11. #56

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Keyblade Graveyard
    Posts
    115

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The Animal Kingdom desperately needs more attractions, indoor space, and things that can allow the park to stay open later. There are several ways that these things can be solved. Disney decided the best way to do this would be by adding a new land. They decided this land needed to be based on a blockbuster movie because that's exactly what Universal does. That's how we get Avatar. It's still a cut rate attempt at a Harry Potter ripoff.
    The pure fact that they are doing it because it is a "blockbuster" movie is what ticks me off.... It was only a blockbuster movie because of the animation being so incredible, but now, every movie has that animation. Disney has many other options on how to expand Animal Kingdom, so I don't understand why it had to be this one. Honestly, I would have brought some of the attractions over from Tokyo Disneysea, and added them.

    I'm not going to get into my thoughts about Avatar Land and all my reasons why it's so horrid, but I can say that I'm not pleased with it at all. Animal Kingdom was always my least favorite park because it feels the most non-Disney, and this just made it worse.

    One thing I would like to ask though is: Have you guys seen the comments on facebook about Avatar Land? There's at least like 20 negative comments for every good comment!

    View my cosplay (including my ultimate endeavor to make a fully accurate Vader costume), props (including my props from my Vanitas costume that had to be abandoned due to suit constraints), and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/sandercohen13

  12. #57

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The point is Space Mountain exists because of Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland doesn't exist because of Space Mountain.
    Okay, sure. Beastly Kingdom don't necessarily need the dragon roller coaster, single or dual track, but that's like Tomorrowland not having Space Mountain.

    The Animal Kingdom desperately needs more attractions, indoor space, and things that can allow the park to stay open later. There are several ways that these things can be solved. Disney decided the best way to do this would be by adding a new land. They decided this land needed to be based on a blockbuster movie because that's exactly what Universal does. That's how we get Avatar. It's still a cut rate attempt at a Harry Potter ripoff.
    Basing a land on a single IP is not my definition of "cut rate". It seems like movies these days have much more depth and no single attraction can cover the material, which was further expanded from the numerous sequels. Avatarland will contain material from the original movie and the sequels, just like Harry Potter Land.

    We can stop exaggerating Avatar's influence on the Orlando theme park market. While Avatar is BIG and can't be swept under the rug, it isn't big enough to match the fan base of Harry Potter. The Harry Potter killer is actually Star Wars Land to be featured in DHS.

    I agree with you that Avatar will solve Animal Kingdom's problem, but it is only one problem. The second problem is DHS' lack of attractions. That problem will be solved by Star Wars. Eventually, it might be enough to blunt the twin force attack of the Harry Potters at Universal IOA and Studios Parks.

  13. #58

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    The big problem with Disney Hollywood studios is that it has no identity. When every Disney park has lands and rides based on movies what makes the movie park unique? Even Universal understands this, Universal Studios is bout movies, Islands of adventure is about written works. Yes, some of those books became movies, but the separation is still pretty clear. Avatar in Animal kingdom makes problems in that park a little better, but it makes a bigger problem worse.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  14. #59

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,680

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The big problem with Disney Hollywood studios is that it has no identity. When every Disney park has lands and rides based on movies what makes the movie park unique? Even Universal understands this, Universal Studios is bout movies, Islands of adventure is about written works. Yes, some of those books became movies, but the separation is still pretty clear. Avatar in Animal kingdom makes problems in that park a little better, but it makes a bigger problem worse.
    I think IOA is a bit more than mostly written works turned into themed areas. Sure Jurrasic Park was a book first but the movie made it huge. Dr Suess is known for the books and animated specials. The Marvel area I would say was put more on the map when the movies were made in the 90s which is probably why they got a presence in IOA. Harry potter's film success I am pretty sure is the reason that project got funded because of it's success. Toon lagoon again is a combination of newspaper comnics and cartoons. I guess the lost continent is more about written works but the rest I disagree. I always think of IOA as a park about different media franchieses. I wish Disney would make a pary like it with Marvel, Star Wars, Nightmare Before Christmas, and whatever else they want.

  15. #60

    • failure for lunch
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    378

    Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

    Disney just needs to quietly open this land as soon as possible. There's nothing Disney is going to announce about this land that's going to get the fan community to care at all. Meanwhile it'll probably look pretty impressive and change a few minds once it's actually built.

    Count me in with peeps who thinks the idea sucks and was a really bad knee jerk reaction to the success of Harry Potter at Universal. Soarin' over Pandora....meh...wasn't Soarin' over California underwhelming enough?
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Fun] Live Maps construction photo for TOT
    By Mojave in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
  2. What would be your Idea for a new "Land" in DisneyLand or WDW?
    By AlwaysImagineer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 09:08 PM
  3. Except for Tomorrowland, what land needs the most work?
    By jenlynn in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 12:11 PM
  4. Vote For Avatar theme for June 19-25
    By Evil Minion in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 11:33 AM
  5. Hades Construction Pictures ... for all of us coaster nuts!!
    By sir clinksalot in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 02:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •