Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    Count me in with peeps who thinks the idea sucks and was a really bad knee jerk reaction to the success of Harry Potter at Universal. Soarin' over Pandora....meh...wasn't Soarin' over California underwhelming enough?
    How can Avatar be a knee jerk response when it came out of nowhere and Disney does have plenty of other material to consider? When you look at the blog posts from Tom Staggs, it is clear
    that Avatar offered a combination of experiences that fit into Animal Kingdom.

From the moment AVATAR was released, people were captivated by the mythical world of Pandora. When we announced that we’d be working with James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment to bring this world to life in our parks, we felt certain that this partnership and combination of talent and imagination would produce an experience unlike any other ever created.

Our combined team has taken huge steps forward in “imagineering” Pandora as a real place for our guests to see, hear and touch.

How much land is Avatar-land going to take up? Is this image accurate?

http://cdn0.lostateminor.com/wp-cont...om-closeup.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    How much land is Avatar-land going to take up? Is this image accurate?

http://cdn0.lostateminor.com/wp-cont...om-closeup.jpg
    That is the available space but it is yet to be seen how much space it will actually take up. Personally I think it will take a good chunk of that.

• I'm from Canada eh!

IMO, this is such a terrible idea. Star Wars was a franchise before having one ride at a theme park, Harry Potter had a successful run of books and movies before USF built WWHP and even Marvel had been proven time and time again with movies, action figures and Comic books.
    It is insane to me that Disney would green light an entire area expansion for one, mediocre movie. It’s no secret that it made a lot of money, but it doesn’t mean that it can be replicated. To me this is the equivalent of betting millions of dollars on next year’s winner of the superbowl the Monday after.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    IMO, this is such a terrible idea. Star Wars was a franchise before having one ride at a theme park, Harry Potter had a successful run of books and movies before USF built WWHP and even Marvel had been proven time and time again with movies, action figures and Comic books.
    It is insane to me that Disney would green light an entire area expansion for one, mediocre movie. It’s no secret that it made a lot of money, but it doesn’t mean that it can be replicated. To me this is the equivalent of betting millions of dollars on next year’s winner of the superbowl the Monday after.
    Why can't it be replicated? To doubt the ability of Disney to replicate Pandora in Animal Kingdom is on Disney, not James Cameron's Avatar. It is quite a long shot bet to think Disney can't successfully create Pandora when you look at the results of Carsland.

The point about the franchise potential of Avatar is a bet against the track record of James Cameron who has created two blockbuster franchises with Alien and Terminator. It must be pointed out that Disney botched the Cars franchise with a poorly made Cars 2. Thus your point is quickly disproved.

Avatar can work as a theme park attraction without any more sequels. Animal Kingdom's weaknesses as a full day park will be fixed and life will go on.
    Last edited by StevenW; 01-30-2014 at 07:54 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

A poorly chosen theme for a huge new "land' can only weaken and create confliction to the park as a whole. And as learned from DCA 1.0, poorly chosen themed areas only lead to guest dissatisfaction, lower than expected attendance, and then spending a buttload more in $$$$$'s in an attempt correct what should have never been built.

To choose better theme in the first place much wiser. Hmmmmmm.

• Banned User

Why is Avatar a poor theme? How does it compare with themes at Animal Kingdom that are already poorly thought out like Dino-Land, Camp Minnie-Mickey, and Rafiki's Planet Watch. Avatar would be fixing Camp Minnie-Mickey.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Why can't it be replicated? To doubt the ability of Disney to replicate Pandora in Animal Kingdom is on Disney, not James Cameron's Avatar. It is quite a long shot bet to think Disney can't successfully create Pandora when you look at the results of Carsland.
    I have no doubt that Disney has the ability to create, or replicate a convincing "Land" of Pandora. My comment was more geared to the ability to Cameron to replicate the results and the popularity of the first Avatar movie. Yes the first one was huge, but can a sequel hit that target? So from Disney's perspective, they are taking a big risk, all based on the potential of not-yet proven movie franchise.

The point about the franchise potential of Avatar is a bet against the track record of James Cameron who has created two blockbuster franchises with Alien and Terminator. It must be pointed out that Disney botched the Cars franchise with a poorly made Cars 2. Thus your point is quickly disproved.
    He only directed Aliens so he is hardly responsible for the franchise. And yes, the Terminator continues to be a marketable brand, but IMO the ship has sailed. The Show was cancelled early and the last 2 movies have been weak.

I'm also not really sure what your definition of botched is; Cars 2 made Approx $560,000,000.00 and millions more in merchandise, toys and other novelties. Not to mention, it spawned Planes and it's mech continues to dominate shelf space at the department stores everywhere. “Cars” is the definition of what a SUCCESSFUL evergreen franchise is.

Avatar was a movie; Admittedly a very lucrative movie, but still just a movie. Clearly there are people trying to make it into the next big thing and honestly it probably will become it, but I just feel that it could be a bit too soon bet on its popularity.

Avatar can work as a theme park attraction without any more sequels. Animal Kingdom's weaknesses as a full day will be fixed and life will go on.
    Maybe so, but I would argue that any new "land" could help save DAK, including *GASP* a Disney original.

I think the argument is that, like Terminator, the Avatar theme isn't right for a Disney park. It is a violent film. Furthermore, I don't recall ever seeing anyone procreate in another franchise that subsequently became a ride in a Disney theme park.
    ~ Erik

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    I have no doubt that Disney has the ability to create, or replicate a convincing "Land" of Pandora. My comment was more geared to the ability to Cameron to replicate the results and the popularity of the first Avatar movie. Yes the first one was huge, but can a sequel hit that target? So from Disney's perspective, they are taking a big risk, all based on the potential of not-yet proven movie franchise.
    I already said the movie franchise is irrelevant; however, you can almost guarrantee it will be a success with James Cameron at the helm. Avatar was a proven movie, but you can safely say the franchise is already alive with Avatar The Theme Park Attraction.

He only directed Aliens so he is hardly responsible for the franchise. And yes, the Terminator continues to be a marketable brand, but IMO the ship has sailed. The Show was cancelled early and the last 2 movies have been weak.
    What? He was successful with Aliens and that makes him not responsible for it??

Terminator is slated for more sequels. It isn't dead yet.

I'm also not really sure what your definition of botched is; Cars 2 made Approx $560,000,000.00 and millions more in merchandise, toys and other novelties. Not to mention, it spawned Planes and it's mech continues to dominate shelf space at the department stores everywhere. “Cars” is the definition of what a SUCCESSFUL evergreen franchise is.
    Cars 2 was not a critical success. That's what I mean by botched.

So you define a success by the box office and merchandising. Okay, Avatar fits the bill for at least the box office.

Avatar was a movie; Admittedly a very lucrative movie, but still just a movie. Clearly there are people trying to make it into the next big thing and honestly it probably will become it, but I just feel that it could be a bit too soon bet on its popularity.
    Alright, but it isn't too soon really. Avatar fits a specific requirement for Animal Kingdom. It does it quite well and no one will care about the movie once it opens. It stands well on its own as an attraction.

Maybe so, but I would argue that any new "land" could help save DAK, including *GASP* a Disney original.
    Well, that's fine and dandy, but let's remind you of Dino-Land, Camp Minnie-Mickey, and Rafiki's Planet Watch.

I personally cannot wait to see what they do with this AK was in so dire need of something new as it has such a stigma of a half-day park.

I want to see the floating mountains, the vivid colors of the glowing plants and also ride a banchee.. its going to be an awesome experience.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I already said the movie franchise is irrelevant; however, you can almost guarrantee it will be a success with James Cameron at the helm. Avatar was a proven movie, but you can safely say the franchise is already alive with Avatar The Theme Park Attraction.
    Perhaps. But, I feel like Cameron maybe out of touch with his own success. Avatar had a lot of cool things going for it, but story was not one of them. Technologically it was amazing, but since it was released there have been many other movies that have met or exceeded the benchmark; there is simply nothing unique about this type of sequel. And while me circle of friends probably do not accurately represent a cross section of the population, I just don't know anyone who is looking forward to another trip to Pandora... And the Movie tie in is not irrelevant. A Disney executive made the decision to pay lots of money, money that could be used to develop original ideas, to leverage the supposed (un-founded) popularity of the movie “franchise” Avatar. Problem is, Avatar is not popular, nor is it a franchise.

What? He was successful with Aliens and that makes him not responsible for it??
    Aliens was the second movie in the series. I would say that he had a part in its success, but it was not his vision.

Cars 2 was not a critical success. That's what I mean by botched.

So you define a success by the box office and merchandising. Okay, Avatar fits the bill for at least the box office.
    Yes, in the business of making movies, success is often defined by how much money is made. Granted a "well made" movie can often be considered a success, it just depends on your point of view. And yes, as I said, Avatar the movie made millions, it just remains to be seen if it will do it again.

Alright, but it isn't too soon really. Avatar fits a specific requirement for Animal Kingdom. It does it quite well and no one will care about the movie once it opens. It stands well on its own as an attraction.
    We may have to agree to disagree. I have no idea how an unoriginal story about tall smurf people from space fits into a theme park built on Conservation, animals around Earth and education. Granted Disney has played a little fast and loose with theme lately, but at least I'd like to visit the world of Star Wars.

Well, that's fine and dandy, but let's remind you of Dino-Land, Camp Minnie-Mickey, and Rafiki's Planet Watch.
    Was the Dinosaur ride not loosely based on the terrible movie of the same name?

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I think IOA is a bit more than mostly written works turned into themed areas. Sure Jurrasic Park was a book first but the movie made it huge. Dr Suess is known for the books and animated specials. The Marvel area I would say was put more on the map when the movies were made in the 90s which is probably why they got a presence in IOA. Harry potter's film success I am pretty sure is the reason that project got funded because of it's success. Toon lagoon again is a combination of newspaper comnics and cartoons. I guess the lost continent is more about written works but the rest I disagree. I always think of IOA as a park about different media franchieses. I wish Disney would make a pary like it with Marvel, Star Wars, Nightmare Before Christmas, and whatever else they want.
    I hope you realise that you just said Island of Adventure want based on written works then went on to explain how every island originated with a written work.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

I think people are forgetting a key element of the Pandora area. I don't believe the area will rely on the story from the first movie. Sure it will look like it right? Isn't that the best part of the film? Now we get to walk through that and enjoy it? It's imaginary I get it of course Animal Kingdom has imaginary things in it already. Even the mission statement has the wording for it. I believe they will create a very immersive area to walk around and discover. I believe they will create new stories for us to enjoy and experiences. There are obvious tie ins that can be used about conservation and nature connections.I'm all for it I can't wait to see it!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I hope you realise that you just said Island of Adventure want based on written works then went on to explain how every island originated with a written work.
    Yep but when they turned to successful movies they built the attractions.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast