Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

One of the big reasons why the world created by JK Rowling for Harry Potter feels so complete and real is because an overwhelming majority of it is derived from actual folklore. People connected with it immediately because they saw things they recognized. The only thing familiar about Avatar is white guilt.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

I don't think the park is in need for the movie to be sucessful in order to make the land successful. AKs biggest issue was no evening entertainment. What Avatar brings enhances the evening so much when you consider the bright vivid coloring that comes a long with it.

The glowing plants and nature, the water ride, all will be captivating to many people.

I think this will be a smashing sucess reguarless on how any subsequant movies go.

We all clamor for more Star Wars themed things but the most recent 3 movies are hated by more people than liked... so I don't always see how movie sucess determines theme park sucess.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Yep but when they turned to successful movies they built the attractions.
    That's only true in the case of Jurassic Park and Popeye. Everything else only at best had a Saturday morning cartoon at the time the park was built.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Perhaps. But, I feel like Cameron maybe out of touch with his own success. Avatar had a lot of cool things going for it, but story was not one of them. Technologically it was amazing, but since it was released there have been many other movies that have met or exceeded the benchmark; there is simply nothing unique about this type of sequel. And while me circle of friends probably do not accurately represent a cross section of the population, I just don't know anyone who is looking forward to another trip to Pandora... And the Movie tie in is not irrelevant. A Disney executive made the decision to pay lots of money, money that could be used to develop original ideas, to leverage the supposed (un-founded) popularity of the movie “franchise” Avatar. Problem is, Avatar is not popular, nor is it a franchise.
    My feeling is the weaknesses of the original movie will be resolved with the sequels. Avatar felt like the story was finished. Essentially, it was, but nothing is truly resolved since they will always have the aftermath. I didn't think the Hunger Games should have had sequels, but the author written more, and it was based loosely on another property, Koushun Takami's Battle Royale (1999) that had no sequel.

This is the special case where the sequels were never assured until well after the film was made. The public has not decided on whether they care yet. We still don't know anything about it; however, we do know the 3 sequels will be filmed back to back. The sequels are a trilogy in itself. They will probably film for 9 to 12 months (3 to 4 months per film).

By the time Avatar opens in DAK, the first sequel may have been released. This is an advantage for Disney.

BTW: What movie exceeded Avatar? I don't think anything did.

Aliens was the second movie in the series. I would say that he had a part in its success, but it was not his vision.
    Aliens was his vision since he was the director. He made the story better. It was less abstract. In the first movie, the alien was barely featured. It was more horror and suspense. The second movie was much more action oriented and explicit.

Was the Dinosaur ride not loosely based on the terrible movie of the same name?
    Yes, and it was all Disney.

I've argued as much about the CarsLand build-out at DCA. I'm not really a fan of the franchise, but I think we all can realize that the attractions are fairly well-conceived and the area itself is incredibly detailed and cohesive.

Pixar, when they imagined Radiator Springs as the background for the movie, did much of Imagineering's work for them. The original Cars was a fully-realized turn-key environment, complete with every artistic rendering you could want for, right down to the scalable wireframe models that could serve as a springboard into architectural drawings and beyond.

Pandora is a compelling world, but my feeling, as a fan of Disney since a very early age, is that Jim Cameron's pessimistic, violent and sexualized world has no place as a backdrop for anything inside one of Disney's parks.
    ~ Erik

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    That's only true in the case of Jurassic Park and Popeye. Everything else only at best had a Saturday morning cartoon at the time the park was built.
    And WWoHP? It was written in 1997 and very popular. Why wait and use images from the movies though and wait all the way until 2010 if it was so popular before the movies? With Marvel they have been around sicne the 1940s they gained a lot of popularity though with the cartoons and movies in the 90s thus they built it into the park. Why wait so long in that case then? I guess the bigger question is does it matter books are media anyways. What's the difference?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    I don't think the park is in need for the movie to be sucessful in order to make the land successful. AKs biggest issue was no evening entertainment. What Avatar brings enhances the evening so much when you consider the bright vivid coloring that comes a long with it.

The glowing plants and nature, the water ride, all will be captivating to many people.

I think this will be a smashing sucess reguarless on how any subsequant movies go.

We all clamor for more Star Wars themed things but the most recent 3 movies are hated by more people than liked... so I don't always see how movie sucess determines theme park sucess.

Agree here 100% I doubt the Pandora area will be based off the first movie that would be stupid. They are going to focus on the planet.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Why is Avatar a poor theme? How does it compare with themes at Animal Kingdom that are already poorly thought out like Dino-Land, Camp Minnie-Mickey, and Rafiki's Planet Watch. Avatar would be fixing Camp Minnie-Mickey.
    So the justification for a bad land is that it won't be the worst land in the park? That doesn't sound to promising. Dinoland gets a lot of hate but the bad parts of it could literally be removed over a weekend. The fact that Disney has been trying so hard to convince people how perfect Avatar is for Animal Kingdom only proves that it's not. Nobody ever had to explain how Norway fit into EPCOT or The Seven Dwarfs Mine fits in with Fantasyland.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    And WWoHP? It was written in 1997 and very popular. Why wait and use images from the movies though and wait all the way until 2010 if it was so popular before the movies? With Marvel they have been around sicne the 1940s they gained a lot of popularity though with the cartoons and movies in the 90s thus they built it into the park. Why wait so long in that case then? I guess the bigger question is does it matter books are media anyways. What's the difference?
    Because it makes the parks different. They have the movie park and the literature park and not just Universal 1 and Universal 2 more of the same park with separate admission because we like money.

So the justification for a bad land is that it won't be the worst land in the park? That doesn't sound to promising. Dinoland gets a lot of hate but the bad parts of it could literally be removed over a weekend. The fact that Disney has been trying so hard to convince people how perfect Avatar is for Animal Kingdom only proves that it's not. Nobody ever had to explain how Norway fit into EPCOT or The Seven Dwarfs Mine fits in with Fantasyland.
    How does Avatar not fit? AK is about nature and its beauty.. Have you seen Avatar? That is one of the main points of the film. How the Navi rely on their nature and environment to survive... is it a fictious setting? Well of course it is.. But so is a Yetti and you dont see anyone asking to remove Expedition Everest because it has a Yetti in it...

I dont think the Navi tribe is going to be the main focus of this addition.. I think it will be all about the Pandora nature.. and that alone makes it AK worthy.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Banned User

I'm not worried about explaining how Avatar will fit into Animal Kingdom. In 20 years, Disney will own it.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    How does Avatar not fit? AK is about nature and its beauty.. Have you seen Avatar? That is one of the main points of the film. How the Navi rely on their nature and environment to survive... is it a fictious setting? Well of course it is.. But so is a Yetti
    A yeti is an animal not a setting. Mount Everest where the yeti lives is a very real place and the legend of the yeti is a very real part of the culture there. Not only is Pandora a fictitious setting but its atmosphere is toxic to humans. Nothing reinforces the beauty of nature like it choking you to death.

I think your pulling at straws there... if you don't like it don't go. It's as simple as that.. I don't mean to be mean. You have a right to not like the idea. I hate toy story mania and I know I am the minority on that one. So to each their own.

•   
    • Minion

People give the Yeti a pass for some reason even though it;s not real. It;s based on a legend I get it. Aliens are based on legends too, so are dragons. To me Pandoras message will fit fine in the AK mission statement and it will look beautiful.

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.

A yeti is an animal not a setting. Mount Everest where the yeti lives is a very real place and the legend of the yeti is a very real part of the culture there. Not only is Pandora a fictitious setting but its atmosphere is toxic to humans. Nothing reinforces the beauty of nature like it choking you to death.
    So do you also have a problem with the Little Mermaid ride in MK/DCA since humans can't breath underwater?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast