Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    And WWoHP? It was written in 1997 and very popular. Why wait and use images from the movies though and wait all the way until 2010 if it was so popular before the movies? With Marvel they have been around sicne the 1940s they gained a lot of popularity though with the cartoons and movies in the 90s thus they built it into the park. Why wait so long in that case then? I guess the bigger question is does it matter books are media anyways. What's the difference?
    There were no Marvel films in the 90's (except Blade.) IOA was already open by the time those came around. In fact, Marvel was in pretty bad shape when Universal first bought the rights.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 01-31-2014 at 08:46 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    There were no Marvel films in the 90's (except Blade.) IOA was already open by the time those came around. In fact, Marvel was in pretty bad shape when Universal first bought the rights.

Maybe not movies but there were at least 4 cartoon shows. I only watched the X-men and Spider man one one though they were fricken awesome! I am not sure how bad marvel was doing since I have always read them. None of this will convince me that IOA is based off books especially when almost all the images are from their movie counter parts. Just go through all the areas and tell me which ones are based only on their print media versus their film. I would say it's more movies for the most part. I am sure if we look at the attractions in the so called "movie park" there are also rides based off of literature anyways that became movies.

I have always seen IOA as a park where you enjoy an adventure based off your favorite franchise. In regards to pandora I really hope it gets the WWoHP treatment because that is my favorite themed area in any park.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    A yeti is an animal not a setting. Mount Everest where the yeti lives is a very real place and the legend of the yeti is a very real part of the culture there. Not only is Pandora a fictitious setting but its atmosphere is toxic to humans. Nothing reinforces the beauty of nature like it choking you to death.
    Agreed 100%.

I guess at the end of the day it is still happening, regardless of my personal issues with it. I also hope that it will be SO great that DAK will become it's own destination and the public go and actually enjoy the REAL draw of that park...

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Agreed 100%.

I guess at the end of the day it is still happening, regardless of my personal issues with it. I also hope that it will be SO great that DAK will become it's own destination and the public go and actually enjoy the REAL draw of that park...

I can understand why people are skeptical of Avatar.. I just hope those people have an open mind when experiencing it.. I whole hartedly believe this will be one the best expansions Disney has ever done.. I think this has potential to bury New Fantasyland as far as innovation goes.. I mean they are going to have floating mountains!
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    I can understand why people are skeptical of Avatar.. I just hope those people have an open mind when experiencing it.. I whole hartedly believe this will be one the best expansions Disney has ever done.. I think this has potential to bury New Fantasyland as far as innovation goes.. I mean they are going to have floating mountains!
    I think more people feel this way than not. It reminds me of all the talk about Carsland when it was announced and being built. Once people experienced it most of the negativity around that expansion went away. If they execute Pandora the same way then I xpect the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    How does Avatar not fit? AK is about nature and its beauty.. Have you seen Avatar? That is one of the main points of the film. How the Navi rely on their nature and environment to survive... is it a fictious setting? Well of course it is.. But so is a Yetti and you dont see anyone asking to remove Expedition Everest because it has a Yetti in it...

I dont think the Navi tribe is going to be the main focus of this addition.. I think it will be all about the Pandora nature.. and that alone makes it AK worthy.
    agreed. Good point.

To me Pandoras message will fit fine in the AK mission statement and it will look beautiful.

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.
    Where does it say that AK in limited to Earth's animals? It does not. Show me where it does say or written that AK is ONLY Earth's animals/creatures. Did any imagineers say this? It also needs to be in several official sources. I watched maybe 4 or 5 videos of Rhode talking about AK and he never said "Earth's animals" or even "the nature of Earth", only the park was about nature and animals living together in general. Never said a specific setting. Posters keep on saying that AK should only be Earth's animals/nature. But where is the proof? Show me.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Where does it say that AK in limited to Earth's animals? It does not. Show me where it does say or written that AK is ONLY Earth's animals/creatures. Did any imagineers say this? It also needs to be in several official sources. I watched maybe 4 or 5 videos of Rhode talking about AK and he never said "Earth's animals" or even "the nature of Earth", only the park was about nature and animals living together in general. Never said a specific setting. Posters keep on saying that AK should only be Earth's animals/nature. But where is the proof? Show me.
    All you need to do is look at what Imagineers founded, built and planned for Animal Kingdom.

Everything of the opening day Animal Kingdom and even the portion that was put off until later (the Beastly Kingdom) had to do with Animals of Earth. NOTHING in what was set forth as the theme of Animal Kingdom had to do with Outer Space Science Fiction, Nor Outer Space Alien life, nor any other fictional planets. It was all of animals of Earth, real, extinct, and mythological.

Name:  ak logo.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  9.8 KB

no outer space logos, no outer space vehicles, no space aliens in that logo

And here is another major concern over how underwhelming this outspace alien mish mash will be:

Orlando Sentinel's Jason Garcia leans on third-party estimates calling for Disney to invest $800 million in upgrading its animal-themed park over the next three years, with a little more than half of that going specifically into the "Avatar" area that will take over the now shuttered Camp Minnie-Mickey section of the theme park.

$400k planned for this, THAT is a paltry sum, compared with what it cost to build Radiator Springs (about $600k) over in DCA. And $400k just won't go nearly as far, not 5 to 6 year later,
    Last edited by Aladdin; 02-01-2014 at 04:50 PM.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    All you need to do is look at what Imagineers founded, built and planned for Animal Kingdom.

Everything of the opening day Animal Kingdom and even the portion that was put off until later (the Beastly Kingdom) had to do with Animals of Earth. NOTHING in what was set forth as the theme of Animal Kingdom had to do with Outer Space Science Fiction, Nor Outer Space Alien life, nor any other fictional planets. It was all of animals of Earth, real, extinct, and mythological.

Animal Kingdom was supposed to be a park all about earth.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Animal Kingdom was supposed to be a park all about earth.
    that was the point I was making

@ Aladdin. The logo is a good start. Anything more? Like from other imagineers and what they said. Or anything from Rhode that I have not read or hear.

Is it possible no other worldly animals (alien creatures) were included at the beginning because at the time they had nothing to work with that also had a theme of living with nature, etc? Or maybe it was secondary after they made the other continents and Beastly Kingdom. But then things changed so it got pushed way up.
    Last edited by mondo; 02-01-2014 at 05:39 PM.

• Minion

Ummm there is a Dragon in the logo up there. Mythical dragons get the pass like the mythical Yeti over the mythical Aliens... Of course all the stories about aliens can be dismissed I guess but the dragons are way more real than Aliens right? If Avatar 2 has Na'Vi on earth as part of the story do they get a pass then?? I tihnk if people don't like the idea that's enough to dismiss the project but to say it doesn't fit into AK just doesn't make sense to me.

Ummm there is a Dragon in the logo up there. Mythical dragons get the pass like the mythical Yeti over the mythical Aliens... Of course all the stories about aliens can be dismissed I guess but the dragons are way more real than Aliens right? If Avatar 2 has Na'Vi on earth as part of the story do they get a pass then?? I tihnk if people don't like the idea that's enough to dismiss the project but to say it doesn't fit into AK just doesn't make sense to me.
    agree 100%
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

And here is another major concern over how underwhelming this outspace alien mish mash will be:

$400k planned for this, THAT is a paltry sum, compared with what it cost to build Radiator Springs (about $600k) over in DCA. And $400k just won't go nearly as far, not 5 to 6 year later,
    Its weird, I dont think there was a New Orleans area when Disneyland opened...it was strictly meant to be jungles, the Old West, and a spaceport. They never said anything about New Orleans-themed areas in the original Disneyland promotional materials. Dont you just hate when the Imagineers actually expand and imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Its weird, I dont think there was a New Orleans area when Disneyland opened...it was strictly meant to be jungles, the Old West, and a spaceport. They never said anything about New Orleans-themed areas in the original Disneyland promotional materials. Dont you just hate when the Imagineers actually expand and imagine?
    Are they really imagining, or are they adapting​?
    ~ Erik

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast