Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• SORCERER

Thumbs up Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Earlier this week, leaders from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and Lightstorm Entertainment kicked off the largest expansion in Disney’s Animal Kingdom history with a ceremonial groundbreaking for the park’s new AVATAR-inspired land with blue, Na’vi-inspired shovels.

In this photo illustration, they were joined by a Na’vi, showing the scale of characters from the “AVATAR” film.

The area, which is being designed by Walt Disney Imagineering in partnership with “AVATAR” creator James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment, will be unlike anything ever experienced at a Disney park. Guests will experience the wonders of Pandora when they fly with banshees and explore a rich natural environment with mountains that float and interactive plants that glow at night.

“Disney’s Animal Kingdom is already home to some of our guests’ favorite attractions,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “With AVATAR, we are adding a spectacular new world and an exciting set of attractions unlike any our guests have experienced. The expansion now under way will make the park a true full-day, must-see experience.”

This week’s milestone is just the first step in a larger expansion for the park that will also include the debut of a new evening spectacular, as well as a nighttime version of Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Check out the video below for a look inside the ceremony, and be sure to follow the Disney Parks Blog for future updates on this exciting expansion.

• Bangarang!

Re: Construction Begins For AVATAR-Inspired Land At Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Thanks for the update.

I know I should be enthused for this, but I just can't really get hyped up for it. Even though the concept art looks good, I'm still on the fence..

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Bring back the old one!!!

I agree. The reason I'm on the fence about it is because DAK isn't meant to have an 'alien' planet on it. It's supposed to be the natural wonders of EARTH

• Bangarang!

I think I may have a John Hench moment, 'I liked it better when it was Camp MinnieMickey'

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Sweet can't wait to check it out!!!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Yes! Yes! * Jumping up and and down * Can't wait. So glad to finally see ground "almost" break on this project. So freaking blurping happy!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Simon View Post
    I agree. The reason I'm on the fence about it is because DAK isn't meant to have an 'alien' planet on it. It's supposed to be the natural wonders of EARTH
    I have to agree but I see what Disney trying todo. Animal Kingdom typical closes before sundown, I remember when I went there in 2003, and was disappointed as a child that this was the case, as it felt like the day was cut short.

By adding avatar land, there allowing Animal Kingdom to be open past sundown and into the night, This will be interesting how this will work. Obviously rides like the Safari will be closed. This is more or less an attempt to get more people to goto animal kingdom and expands it hours and profits.

One thing that concerns me though me is this budget for the expansion is seemingly half the price of cars land, hopefully they don't cut corners. I will def, come take a visit down to Disney World to check it out.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

And we have the death of Disney's Animal Kingdom

(what an unfortunate coincidence that the sad face is blue too)

A Kingdom that was to have celebrated Earth's Animals, now invaded and destroyed by alien science fiction. They could have at least stuck to Earth's Mythological Creatures, instead of turning this to Alien Kingdom.

Well, that's one less day we need at WDW, and more time to enjoy Universal, Islands of Adventure, Busch Gardens, Sea World, the wonderful beaches on the Florida Coastline, or all the other great sites around Florida.

It's sad that WDW that let's their parks stagnate so much, and when they FINALLY dig in to add a huge new land, they make such a poor decision, to waste so much much on acquiring the rights to a movie that no one gives a crap about anymore, on something that doesn't fit the Theme of the Park they choose it for, and then they don't even Choose the right set of Alien Creatures that they DO OWN THE RIGHTS TOO!

It is good that Florida has so many other options. . . . . since WDW is becoming less and less relevant.

• La Reine Lézard

Is Avatar still relevant?

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by fearmeloveme View Post
    They're hoping it will be once the land is complete and the sequels are released in '16 and '17.

Walt Disney

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

While I'm excited to see some construction get started at AK and for Animal Kingdom to get some new attractions and stay open past nightfall, I'm still on the fence on teh whole Avatar decision...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by fearmeloveme View Post
    We'll see how good the sequels are. I'd have felt better if James Cameron were pictured yelling at some cowering Disney suits with the Imagineers trying to hide their smiles.

I expect Disney to cheap out on this and to take twice as long to build it as Universal Orlando would. I hope I'm wrong.

• Bangarang!

^Given some of the announced content, I can't see how they can 'cheap out' on it?

Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Just think of it this way, Avatar Land takes the place of Beastly Kingdom from the original design scope.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Nutty about Disney parks

Sigh...

So many things and ideas that they could've done with this area and they resort to a non-Disney movie tie-in that they don't even own (and has no guarantee of a long lifespan).

That's not the death of Animal Kingdom. That's the death of the creative process that the company was built on.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast