Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    • Bring back the old one!!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Olney, MD
    Posts
    3

    Question Hollywood Studios Expansion...

    What happened to the idea of a Hollywood Studios expansion? Has it gotten the green light and is in development? Is it not happening? I thought that it was going to be announced last year at the D23 Expo but it never was...any news?

  2. #2

    • Heavy Breather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    A Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    800

    Re: Hollywood Studios Expansion...

    Nothing has been announced as of yet.
    I'm not even sure if it's still on the table, what with all of the budgetary cuts due to MM+.

  3. #3

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Hollywood Studios Expansion...

    It's always been a rumor.

    DHS and DAK run far behind MK and EPCOT. So obviously DHS and AK need something. AK is getting it so DHS should be next.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  4. #4

    • Tomorrow's Child
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,613

    Re: Hollywood Studios Expansion...

    Isn't the Studios restricted with expansion, I seem to recall there isn't much free surrounding land with roads etc. restricting where they can go.

    Wouldn't it be great if they actually did expand the park though? Maybe dust off that Sci-Fi land idea (Tokyo Disneyland) or probably just do Star Wars land.


    "We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

  5. #5

    • Tonka's Skipper
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, in the Good Ole USA
    Posts
    138

    Re: Hollywood Studios Expansion...

    You know the rumors about budget cuts due to MM, is just that................1 story about Iger going to WD and not being happy about the workings o MM, and then that everything including the about of TP the studio buys was cut or shelved. There was nothing announced by Disney..............please if there's a official announcement I would be happy to back up here, But all I have read the last few weeks is opinions and rumor that everyone unhappy with Mm built into a mountain.

    We will have to see what happens.

    AKK

  6. #6

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Hollywood Studios Expansion...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Isn't the Studios restricted with expansion, I seem to recall there isn't much free surrounding land with roads etc. restricting where they can go.

    Wouldn't it be great if they actually did expand the park though? Maybe dust off that Sci-Fi land idea (Tokyo Disneyland) or probably just do Star Wars land.
    True there is not a huge amount of land, but there is some. They can replace underutilized areas, like the LMA stadium or Studio Tour.

    I would never expect that they would move World Drive, but Studio Road and the parking lot could be shifted.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  7. #7

    • Tomorrow's Child
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,613

    Re: Hollywood Studios Expansion...

    ^Now I look at it again, you're right, moving Studios Drive would be the best option. Even if they used the land to the inside of the canal (and probably route the road on the other side of it) it would yield a decent amount of land.

    In fact, that area could be used to create both a Star Wars and Muppet lands.


    "We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: Hollywood Studios Expansion...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    ^Now I look at it again, you're right, moving Studios Drive would be the best option. Even if they used the land to the inside of the canal (and probably route the road on the other side of it) it would yield a decent amount of land.

    In fact, that area could be used to create both a Star Wars and Muppet lands.
    thats a monstrous area that wouldn't need to be completely utilised, a starwars land expansion could almost fit on the current footprint of the backstage area, maybe a little more. most of the additional land usage would be about creating more backstage infrastructure to keep up with the added capacity and shifting around what needed to be demoed for the expansion itself.

    again muppet land would be better served with simply demoing the backlot theater to replace it with an attraction and rethemeing the pieces that are already there.

  9. #9

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: Hollywood Studios Expansion...

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    thats a monstrous area that wouldn't need to be completely utilised, a starwars land expansion could almost fit on the current footprint of the backstage area, maybe a little more. most of the additional land usage would be about creating more backstage infrastructure to keep up with the added capacity and shifting around what needed to be demoed for the expansion itself.

    again muppet land would be better served with simply demoing the backlot theater to replace it with an attraction and rethemeing the pieces that are already there.
    I think the only reason to stretch the boundary is if they want to build a huge land. The rumors of building a Endor Forest in DL if true will take a lot of land and if one is built in DHS that may just expand the park. Also if Carsland comes to DHS it may have to be slightly reshaped to fit in the LMA theater and Back Lot area because it is a big land.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    54

    Re: Hollywood Studios Expansion...

    Other insiders still indicate the StarWars project is still moving forward. MiceAge updates seem to always be doom and gloom when it comes to WDW, so I wouldn't read too much into it. Unlike what MiceAge was claiming, the hold up was due to script re-writes for episode VII, as they want to incorporate material from that movie into an expansion.

    Spirit "Nothing has happened on the Star Wars front beyond them waiting for a close to final script on the new film, which will have a much larger role for the old-timers than in Arndt's original version. That product will affect whatever goes into DL and, yes, TPFKaTD-MGMS."


    The Starwars
    project is about a year behind Avatar, so if it does indeed come to fruition budgets will probably be approved in the next fiscal year, with ground broken in 2015 for a 2018 completion date. Staggering the project from Avatar (and lining it up with Episode VIII) would make a lot of sense.

    Hollywood studios seems to have been in line to get a makeover for a while, but there always seems to be a "better idea" once one almost comes to pass. Hopefully they finally pull the trigger.

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Armchair Engineering: Hollywood Studios Expansion
    By Omega in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 09:09 PM
  2. [Idea] Hollywood Studios Expansion
    By renderman7 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 07:48 AM
  3. Hollywood Studios NEEDS Armageddon!!!
    By DL_CRAZE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 05:03 PM
  4. What Is up With Hollywood Studios?
    By llama5492 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM
  5. Hollywood Studios?
    By nsxdrift_89 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 08:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •