Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• former CM

Re: Fastpass+ and Magic Band confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    But you are limited to just one good fp, (and 2 lesser attractions or. . .
    Are you 100% sure about that, Aladdin? Or could the two D or C level attractions be what they just encourage you to reserve?

I'm all about working whatever system is in place with spending less money, and here is my plan:
    Arrive at WDW and hit the MK the day we get in to use three Fastpasses that evening,
    spend a whole day at the MK,
    and on the last day (before heading to Universal in a rental car)
    hit three more MK attractions with FPs.
    So that's 9 MK FPs.

I wish they had stuck with the old FP system, but I'll do my best to get the most out of whatever is in place without splurging on a tour. We are delaying our WDW trip by a year in hope that the system is running smoothly and that Universal's Harry Potter expansion has outgrown the crowds and long lines that will follow immediately after its opening. So 2015 might be a good year to visit Central Florida.

i don't see how this system is flexible in anyway. Disney is dictating how many fastpasses you can get per day, what parks you go to in a day among other things. i don't see how the old system wasn't fair. if you wanted to get as many fastpasses as possible in a day you could do that. if you wanted to get 1 fastpass for a big ride you like you could do that. it all depended on your effort. so Disney is trying to make it "fairer" somehow by punishing everybody? this system dramatically increases the value of the fastpass. no longer is fastpass imbued into basic park strategy, it's now something you can only use 3 times a day and so the rest of the day you're stuck waiting. exactly the opposite of what a theme parks ideal guest experience should be.

• Inappropriate

Three fastpasses actually make sense. Let's look at it this way: those of us who used them in highly strategic ways, and yes I'm one of them, the says where we actually used more than three fastpasses were not busy days and we were using fastpasses to cut a 30 minute wait down to a 10 minute wait. We really didn't need more than 3. On the busiest days, we probably weren't getting 3 anyway because of fastpasses running out and late return times. And at Epcot, there are only 2 rides that even require a fastpass: Test Track and Soarin'. Yeah they're in the same tier, so fastpass one and rope-drop the other. And yes, you can rearrange your passes that very day either on your phone or at the kiosk. The old system didn't let you do that. If you were using the old system CORRECTLY and missed your return window, you were poop out of luck. That's how flexible the new system is. (I realize the return window wasn't strictly enforced, but all that did was gum up the Fastpass return line at the end of the night when everyone decided to finally come back to use it. Which is a step in the wrong direction when the fastpass line was longer than the stand-by line.)

Basically what has happened is we fastpass commandos have had to change our strategy and people aren't accepting of it. But the new system isn't as enslaving as some are making it out to be.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Pilot EdForceOne

before enforced return times.. using more than 3 FPs was easy and quite the norm even on busy days if you were there early in the day. With enforced return times its obviously a different story..
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

A couple of questions about magic bands.

I have heard that some resorts no longer accept real room keys. Does anyone know if this is true for the Caribbean Beach? We would like real room keys so we can all have access to the two rooms our family has reserved.

Also, can these bands be taken on and off during your stay, or are they permanently attached?

Finally, we will be transferring days from no-expiration tickets. Will this feature transfer to the magic band or should we (can we?) ask for RFID tickets?

Thanks for the help!
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

• Pilot EdForceOne

1 - They have been stopping the giving out the KTTW cards by default - but you can still ask for them. I believe you can also arrange for your band to open more than one room.. but I'm less certain on that. Either way, this should be resolvable at your hotel check-in.

2 - the bands do come off. They have a stub/hole design to size the band to your wrist and they can be taken on/off at will

3 - all old ticket media must be exchanged for new tickets/entitlements for use. You will be able to transfer your old tickets to the MB, but it might take some extra steps depending on their age.. or if you try to do something like partial transfers. I'm not sure if they can handle this at the hotel check-in, so it might take another stop with the tech team for more advanced transfers like this.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• #bringevilback

Ok, I feel like I can lend some insight as I will be there in just two weeks!

First, onsite guests can book three, no more, no less, fastpasses for each day of valid park admission of their linked ticket. All must be in the same park. You can book these through the My disney Experience (MDE) website or app. It offers you three sets of times for the three attractions you choose but you can go in and modify the times and/or attractions individually supposedly all the way up until the day of, as long as there is availability. In Epcot and DHS there are tiers, so you can only pick one "premium" attraction and then two lesser ones. AK and MK do not currently have this restriction. You also cannot select the Adams attraction more than once a day.

Offsite guests cannot book in advance, nor can they make or edit their selections through the app or website (supposedly they can view them, but I don't know for sure) and must use a kiosk in the park, mostly located at former FP distribution centers. I've heard reports of long lines at MK this holiday weekend...I can only imagine how bad it will get during peak times! Also, AK and MK are both ONLY FP+ but the remaining two parks are said to be converting on Tuesday and Thursday.

For Magicbands, onsite guests are able to customize the color and name printed inside and they are shipped prior to your stay, free of charge. If you don't customize them you will receive generic grey ones at check in. KTTW cards are only given out on request and are not activated for FP. I've heard of offsite guests being able to buy them but cannot confirm them. I've attached a picture of mine and the instructions on the inside of the box. Personally, I find it uncomfortable and will probably loop it around a lanyard for my trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    FP is not flexible anymore….. hassle of having to arrange your every moment at WDW 6 months in advance. It's all just not guest friendly and adds to the stress. Eliminating FP just frees everything up more!
    It is really sad. Disney has created more stress with this system. I just want to go to a theme park and PLAY and DISCOVER. Now you have to reserve a special time to do that. No fun.

Here's another point: You know how annoying it is to be walking around people who focus on their technology more than their environment? Well, imagine walking through crowds and crowds of theme park goers where practically everyone has their face buried in their smartphone.

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by traumwelt View Post
    It is really sad. Disney has created more stress with this system. I just want to go to a theme park and PLAY and DISCOVER. Now you have to reserve a special time to do that. No fun.

Here's another point: You know how annoying it is to be walking around people who focus on their technology more than their environment? Well, imagine walking through crowds and crowds of theme park goers where practically everyone has their face buried in their smartphone.

If this is what bakes your tilapia, I'd suggest moving out to Montana somewhere where you won't see crowds of people buried in their smartphone and there aren't any theme parks. Not trying to be snippy, just saying technology is here and isn't going anywhere. Your only way to escape it is to hide yourself away from it. If you don't like it, don't use it. Nothing's stopping you from playing and discovering at your own pace. But as you do that, you give up the advantages provided by using FP+, ADR's, and other means provided to you to help make your trip easier.

That said, I don't believe using FP+ is going to make people focus on technology more than their environment. If anything, it's backwards. The technology is used so more time can be spent being engaged with that environment rather than stuck in a stuffy queue where the only thing to look at are the four walls surrounding you. I'm not sure how you can get the most out of anything while being completely disengaged from it. A trip to a theme park certainly doesn't work that way.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

I was in the parks last week and, in my first-hand experience, believe there is some serious misinformation in this thread. We were in the parks between 1/17 and 1/21/2014. We were staying offsite in a timeshare rental and are AP holders.

• Inside the parks, our AP RFID cards (when you check-in at the parks, you'll get ones that look just like ours, save for the free parking / inclusive Park-Hopper options) were taken to one of the many FastPass+ kiosks, where cast members with iPads would scan them in and ask us what we wanted to ride that day. This takes about five minutes and I found it to be far easier than what I used to do, which was "power-use" the legacy system. That meant constantly monitoring next FP available times and trekking across the park multiple times per day. Of course, the perk was never waiting in line.
    • In our experience, you can pick ANY THREE ATTRACTIONS, with no seeming disposition toward A/B/C/D/E attraction status. For example, we picked Big Thunder Mountain; Space Mountain; Haunted Mansion as our Magic Kingdom rides. We did attempt to book Space Mountain twice, and were told that wasn't possible.
    • We Park-Hopped from Epcot to Magic Kingdom and were able to get three tickets per park. Caveat: Epcot was two days away from transitioning out of legacy FP. We had no trouble getting three additional FP+ reservations upon arriving at Magic Kingdom.
    • Even on "RED" days in MK and Hollywood Studios, we were able to get FP+ reservations, save for the dreadful Toy Story Mania ride. Though I enjoy the attraction, the daily capacity issues on that one ride have actually driven me to avoid it completely now.
    • My Disney Experience, at least as of last week, did not allow you to reserve FP+ times. In fact, that part of the My Disney Experience site (where our APs have been registered, associated and recognized for all other parks activities for the past year) simply showed "error" pages at any time we went to reserve slots.

My hope for future FP+ is that they'll expand to at least five reservations per day, per park or allow you unlimited hour window reservations (as long as you don't have a conflict elsewhere in the system).

The legacy system WORKED. The number of guests who could reserve times for a specific attraction was controlled, but you weren't kept from building your entire day around set reservation times. If you didn't use your legacy FP tickets within the one-hour window, cast members simply could turn you away (though they never did).

Why should FP+ be different? Five reservations should work - in fact, the more reservations the parks allow, the more control they have over peaks and valleys in ridership.

FP+ isn't the worst thing I've experienced, but, as a "power-user" who could have up to ten FP reservations in a day, I do miss the legacy system.

Go have fun!
    ~ Erik

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    I was in the parks last week and, in my first-hand experience, believe there is some serious misinformation in this thread
    The problem is your experiences are already out of date as the parks rapidly ramp up the transition.

Legacy FP is now gone.. everyone uses FP+ with a subset of people being able to make reservations prior to day of.
    You are not restricted on which 3 attractions in MK you pick, but you are at EPCOT and DHS. This is commonly referred to as 'tiering'

Am I evil? yes, I am

I'll be sure to update when I return in April.

e
    ~ Erik

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The problem is your experiences are already out of date as the parks rapidly ramp up the transition.

Legacy FP is now gone.. everyone uses FP+ with a subset of people being able to make reservations prior to day of.
    You are not restricted on which 3 attractions in MK you pick, but you are at EPCOT and DHS. This is commonly referred to as 'tiering'
    But will it get worse? MK seems to have a good experience. Easy to get FP+. Easy to change. It doesn't look like the horrible experience that people were expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    The technology is used so more time can be spent being engaged with that environment rather than stuck in a stuffy queue where the only thing to look at are the four walls surrounding you. I'm not sure how you can get the most out of anything while being completely disengaged from it. A trip to a theme park certainly doesn't work that way.
    Thanks for sharing. I don't think that by NOT using technology we are "disengaged". I think a trip to a theme park works whatever way you want it to. I guess I don't care enough about explaining this but thanks for chiming in.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast