Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Fastpass+ and Magic Band confusion!

Hello again!
    I'm in a state of confusion with the whole Magic bands, Fastpass+ situation going on at WDW. My boyfriend and I will be going to WDW in Sept. of this year, but we won't be staying at a Disney hotel; we found it cheaper to stay off-site for this trip. I know we won't be able to get magic bands and fastpass+ right now, since they are just for resort guest, but we have also heard rumors that by the time we get to WDW, paper fast passes will be extinct. How would people coming in from an off-site hotel, but still coming for multiple days to the parks, be able to use the new fast pass system? Are we not able to use it? Is it something completely separate from the magicbands, and fastpass+ is available to non-resort guests? Or is this something that everyone is in the dark, just as we are.
    Sorry for all of the questions, but this whole switch to paperless fast passes makes me super nervous. The original fast pass is all I have ever known from DL. If anyone has any advice to this situation, let me know!
    Thanks!

• former CM

Re: Fastpass+ and Magic Band confusion!

Dear Valmist:
    Thank you for clearly raising questions.

We've decided to put off a WDW trip for one year in the hope that whatever system they have will be running smoothly by 2015. (Also, we want to be sure that all of the new Harry Potter Orlando areas and attractions are up and running and, hopefully, rid of their opening month (year?) crowds. Sadly (to me) Universal's Harry Potter is the main reason for our trip, not WDW.)

I'm going in November, but we are staying on-property so I hope it will be more streamlined. Have you setup up yout MDE account yet. It might allow you to reserve FP+ times through the MDE website or mobile app sans hotel reservation. Let us know.

I have set up an account, but unfortunately I don't see anyway to reserve any times. Is it too early to be reserving times? We haven't even put in our dinner reservations yet, because it's too early as well.
    Hopefully we can get answers to it all, maybe I just need to call and ask as well.
    Jcruise, I know what you mean, I also really want to check out harry potter stuff as well, but luckily it will be coming to Universal Hollywood soon...ish!

Quote Originally Posted by Valmist View Post
    Hello again!
    I'm in a state of confusion with the whole Magic bands, Fastpass+ situation going on at WDW. My boyfriend and I will be going to WDW in Sept. of this year, but we won't be staying at a Disney hotel; we found it cheaper to stay off-site for this trip. I know we won't be able to get magic bands and fastpass+ right now, since they are just for resort guest, but we have also heard rumors that by the time we get to WDW, paper fast passes will be extinct. How would people coming in from an off-site hotel, but still coming for multiple days to the parks, be able to use the new fast pass system? Are we not able to use it? Is it something completely separate from the magicbands, and fastpass+ is available to non-resort guests? Or is this something that everyone is in the dark, just as we are.
    Sorry for all of the questions, but this whole switch to paperless fast passes makes me super nervous. The original fast pass is all I have ever known from DL. If anyone has any advice to this situation, let me know!
    Thanks!
    Greetings Valmist!
    The Magic Kingdom Fastpass ticketing system was discontinued yesterday. The tickets you should recieve should be RFID-enabled. You can use those cards to use MyMagic+. If you want a MagicBand, they should be available for purchase and you can transfer the "power" to the MagicBand. I'm not sure if you can do this on your own or through guest services (guest services are your best bet.)

I think you should recieve some information from Disney regarding this some time after you purchase your tickets. You can enter the ticket numbers onto the MyDisneyExperience website and start planning.

I haven't used it yet, but have been doing some research on it the past day or so. I bet somone else here has some better detail on how to use the MyMagic+ system.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Pilot EdForceOne

At this time... offsite guests can only make FP+ reservations onsite via the kiosks. No advanced reservations if you aren't standing in a disney resort, or are an AP that hasn't stayed in a disney resort yet.

That could (and will likely) change yet before your trip. But that's what it is today.

I wouldn't worry about it too much... people are still getting lots of FP+ choices even day of at this point. With FP+ being limited to 3 things per day - don't think of it as your entire trip. FP is being made into something you do selectively - vs by default for everything.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

I'm planning my own trip and I'm staying on site. The bummer is you have to pre-pay your tickets and enter your ticket number into the system or they won't let you reserve your Fastpass+ times. I will be out hundreds of dollars before my trip. I wish I could reserve my times now and input the tickets later.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I'm liking these Disney handcuffs less and less, . . . Limited to 3 FP a day, and only one of those is a main attraction. . . . . Can't make reservations until booked at a WDW resort and paid for, and must plan which park you are visiting on what day, and then your FP+ reservations are NOT flexible to work around dinner times that you have to reserve 6 months in advance. Let alone, now having to get these ride reservations through the computer, and then if you are in the park and don't have paper FP tickets, you have to use your cell phone to keep track of your FP+ times, and then if the battery of your cell phone goes dead, its a lost cause.

Good luck to anyone these days attempting to plan a trip to WDW this summer, when no one knows exactly how this will all pull together, (not even Disney)

Isn't a Disney vacation suppose to be fun and relaxing, instead creating alll these EXTRA things you need to plan for on a vacation?!?!?!? Travel arrangements, hotel arrangements, are enough for any vacation, NOW we have to start planning to let Disney decide for us when we can ride certain attractions, or be forced to wait in horribly long slow moving standby lines for ALL but one major attraction each day.

Good Grief, it used to be bad enough when you had make EPCOT dinner reservations 6 months in advance, and NOW these WDW handcuffs restrict your FP attracctions, also.

This certainly is NOT my idea of an enjoyable time at WDW!

WDW would be smart to make vacations for WDW visitors a LOT LESS painful and hectic by getting rid of FP ALTOGETHER for ALL guests!!!!!

Death to Disney Handcuffs! Give me a WDW before this FP crapola!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I'm liking these Disney handcuffs less and less, . . . Limited to 3 FP a day, and only one of those is a main attraction. . . . . Can't make reservations until booked at a WDW resort and paid for, and must plan which park you are visiting on what day, and then your FP+ reservations are NOT flexible to work around dinner times that you have to reserve 6 months in advance.
    The restriction on three "reservations" per day/per park/per guest seems to be a downgrade regardless if you are staying in a WDW resort or at an off-site property. On top of that, I truly question the value if only one of these reservations can be used for a traditional "E-Ticket" attraction? Honestly, do I need a FastPass for Philharmagic or Stitch?? Would I actually attempt to secure one for these attractions???? - what a waste!!! Honestly, Captain Obvious here, who would try to use a FastPass for anything but an E-Ticket and now you can only get one a day whereas before I could have multiples in one day? Unless I'm missing something, Disney pissed away hundreds of millions of dollars on a Ford Edsel!

• Inappropriate

I'm liking these Disney handcuffs less and less, . . . Limited to 3 FP a day, and only one of those is a main attraction. . . . . Can't make reservations until booked at a WDW resort and paid for, and must plan which park you are visiting on what day, and then your FP+ reservations are NOT flexible to work around dinner times that you have to reserve 6 months in advance. Let alone, now having to get these ride reservations through the computer, and then if you are in the park and don't have paper FP tickets, you have to use your cell phone to keep track of your FP+ times, and then if the battery of your cell phone goes dead, its a lost cause.
    \
    You can make your reservation times before your trip is paid for. You can start 60 days out. Final payment is due 45 days out.

And since when are they not flexible? As long as there is availability, you can rearrange your FP+ times up until the reserved time. And if your phone dies, hey, use one of the provided kiosks.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

FP is not flexible anymore, now that you have to arrive during your specified hour, and there is no choice in what time you have to come back, it's determined based on the time you request the FP, and what the return time is at that particular moment. I've never heard of being able to rearranging FP times.

Still don't like paperless FP, if you have to depend on and line up to use a kiosk just for the sole purpose of checking the time of your FP, that's just a waste of time, when you could just have the actual ticket, with the return time in front of your face,

It's all just too much of a hassle to deal with. It would all be so much easier and more fair to ALL guest just to TOTALLY SCRAP the entire FP / FP+ system. A
    nd FP+ is even more complicated than the original FP system, which actually was unfair to guests who don't know how to use the system, or those who arrived later in the day. FP+ doesn't make it any more fair. However getting rid of it WOULD put every guest on equal footing! It would also eliminate all the confusion, and all the hassle of having to arrange your every moment at WDW 6 months in advance. It's all just not guest friendly and adds to the stress. Eliminating FP just frees everything up more!
    Last edited by Aladdin; 01-17-2014 at 12:13 AM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

FP is not flexible anymore, now that you have to arrive during your specified hour, and there is no choice in what time you have to come back, it's determined based on the time you request the FP, and what the return time is at that particular moment. I've never heard of being able to rearranging FP times.
    And that is exactly what FP+ offers... you PICK the time (not based on when you request) and you can change it later (reassign).

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Inappropriate

Also Disney is taking many many steps making damn sure people know how to use the new system. I've booked my trip for May and the packet you get is very detailed and helpful, right down to what dates certain things will be available (like getting to pick your fastpasses) and it even comes with a refrigerator magnet with those dates on it. If this is going out to everyone booking a trip (and it is) it will really cut down on the confusion. Whereas with the old system, the Fastpass instructions were on the back of the guidemaps...and that's pretty much it. Very easy to overlook.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

But you are limited to just one good fp, (and 2 lesser attractions or a meet and greet) They might as well scrap the whole program,

Like I said before, scrapping the whole crappy program would be the greatest equalizer for all guests, and be the most fair to everyone.

• Pilot EdForceOne

But you are limited to just one good fp, (and 2 lesser attractions or a meet and greet) They might as well scrap the whole program,

IMO - by limiting its usage and corralling people into using it for non rides they are making it closer to the 'no fp' vision that people like yourself advocate.

And the tiering of picks is not at all the parks.

I know I would appreciate not having to waste an hour plus sitting on a curb for the fireworks

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast