Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Re: What if..... 5th Park? Star Wars Land?

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    And Disney's Hollywood Studios is exactly where Star Wars should be expanded. The park is in need of some serious upgrading. Where would Star Wars Land go? Where the Studio Backlot Tour is now and, depending on how ambitious they want to be, where Streets of America is also. I don't love the idea of losing Streets of America, but the "Studio" Backlot Tour is absolutely terrible. I've been to both Disneyland parks, the four Walt Disney World parks, and the two Disneyland Paris parks and the Studio Backlot Tour at DHS is by far the least Disney attraction. Take it out TDO!
    The Backlot Tour used to be awesome. It really upsets me that they shortened it, dumbed it down, and got rid of the entire animation portion of it (that part was a blast!).

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    The Backlot Tour used to be awesome. It really upsets me that they shortened it, dumbed it down, and got rid of the entire animation portion of it (that part was a blast!).
    It was really a highlight in the original park. But when ToT and RnRC were built it really moved the crowds away. Then they chipped away at the attraction and started to ruin it.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Hollywood studios has enough problems, the last thing they need is another movie park to compound it. The fact that the Star Wars and Indiana Jones areas are right next to each other in Disney Hollywood Studios makes a Lucasfilm Land a no-brainer. Put a hotel within walking distance on the back side of it and fire up your money printing machine.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Like others have said, I'd rather not have a fifth park. One of the main reasons that we don't see as much updates is the challenges of having four parks now. DHS and DAK need a lot of help, and EPCOT hasn't received the care it needs.

That said, I am excited to see Star Wars get attention in the parks. I just wish that Disney didn't take so long to get things moving.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

WDW doesn't do a good enough job keeping up the 4 parks they have, let alone another park added to the mix. WDW needs to keep they attractions, shows, parades, and all other entertainment updated and maintained better than they do now. EPCOT needs a couple new countries added to the mix, and the imagination pavillion needs work, as do many others. The next thing WDW needs to do is TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION ON WHAT THEY SHOULD ADD TO THE PARKS, and Avatar is just a BAD choice!

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Heaton View Post
    Like others have said, I'd rather not have a fifth park. One of the main reasons that we don't see as much updates is the challenges of having four parks now. DHS and DAK need a lot of help, and EPCOT hasn't received the care it needs.

That said, I am excited to see Star Wars get attention in the parks. I just wish that Disney didn't take so long to get things moving.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    The DHS plans will come back into fruition again sooner or later...
    Agreed....
    For the love of Disney....

• Under that tree again!

I remember a resort and it basically relied on gimmicks to drive attendance. It is considered the worst time in its history. But what happened, did they fix it? No a new gate was built. That park is Disneyland and the new gate was Disneyland Adventure. All in a drive to get more guests and longer visits. Disney also purchased the land for it's third gate, while DCA was a mess and DL sat as was.

Likewise WDW was doing great with the MK and built Epcot. Then after stagnating they built MGM and DAK while do little to the first two parks. But they expaned anyway and reaped the profit of more guests and longer visits.

History says a new park is not out of the picture.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I remember a resort and it basically relied on gimmicks to drive attendance. It is considered the worst time in its history. But what happened, did they fix it? No a new gate was built. That park is Disneyland and the new gate was Disneyland Adventure. All in a drive to get more guests and longer visits. Disney also purchased the land for it's third gate, while DCA was a mess and DL sat as was.

Likewise WDW was doing great with the MK and built Epcot. Then after stagnating they built MGM and DAK while do little to the first two parks. But they expaned anyway and reaped the profit of more guests and longer visits.

History says a new park is not out of the picture.
    You have to remember that all of those new parks (DHS, DAK, and DCA) were created under Eisner. The new management takes a different approach. Eisner was all about expanding the US resorts and focused on hotels, rides, and parks in FL and CA. Iger and his group are all about expanding overseas. In the US, they've built rides when absolutely necessary like with DCA, but they've mostly focused on efficiencies and used games and character greetings in place of actual new attractions. A new park would require a lot of new attractions, and I don't think they're ready for that type of investment.

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    DHS needs it more than WDW needs a new park. All 4 of the parks out there need a lot more...
    Magic Kingdom is good where it is from a quantity-of-attractions standpoint. Tomorrowland needs an update, but MK is already a two-day park while DHS and AK are 1/2 day destinations (at most).

DHS: Add two Star Wars attractions and dining option (e.g., Cantina; Endor BBQ - with Ewoks on the menu, naturally). Either: re-focus / tweak backlot (as in, have a backlot) and Lights, Motors, Action areas toward "behind-the-scenes / production" center attractions; surrender this acreage to Marvel attractions.

AK: Like it or not, the park will be where it needs to be with Avatarland. Golly, that just sounds wrong, but that's the deal. Theming in this park is simply fantastic. If the Jim Cameron nightmare is as fully-realized, AK will be fine.

Epcot: Phase-in two more country / continent pavilions. Undertake a more aggressive 5-7 year, multi-corporate-sponsor rotation pattern up front to keep FutureWorld fresh. Think Tony Stark meets Elon Musk and / or SpaceX. Big defense (Google / DARPA / Boeing) could help innovate here.

Oh, and expand the monorail system to service more resorts and every park on the property. I spent much time on the monorail this past week and it is as fresh and exciting as the day it went into California in the 60s. Disney seems committed to refreshing the trains without prompting, but it's time to drop some more pylons and beams in Orlando.
    Last edited by Erik Olson; 01-23-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    ~ Erik

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post

From what I understand DAK was not nearly as successful at increasing/extending guest stays as MGM was. Three theme parks seems to be the ideal number for a resort, whereupon it then becomes a case of diminishing returns. Of the Disney resorts around the globe, even the ones that have the extra land available (Shanghai, Paris) are not planning to ever have more than 3 parks.

A "Star Wars Park" is not going to be. DHS already exists and focuses on the movie line of Disney's intellectual property. This is precisely where Star Wars fits in. And as others have said... a movie series will come and go. But unless you keep the characters alive, it will ultimately pass. Thus you see Mickey Mouse still alive and kicking today, albeit reincarnated and in 3D on the kids shows, he's still the same mouse. The Little Mermaid, even Cinderella... ideas from long ago -- are still alive and well.

What's going to happen with the Wizarding World once our kids' kids haven't grown up with Harry Potter? Universal's big draw comes with a built-in expiration date. Maybe they will find a way to reinvent HP in the media. We'll see...

I do look forward to what DHS will do with Star Wars when the new movies come out, tho I think the Avatar land for AK is just as cool and a much needed addition to that park.

DHS is very chaotic and I think is due for the next major overhaul once the changes to the MK and AK are done... it feels awkward walking around that park. It doesn't have the clear cut pathways that other parks do... and I could see a lot of the backlot area all the way back to the Lights Motors Action stadium being revamped. Right now the Sunset area is nice as is the Pixar area... but that other side of the park by Star Tours needs so much work.

Tho there isn't a lot on it at the moment, I project big things in this region for 2018 in which they close off an entire corner like they're doing w AK and just did with MK and rebuild from scratch.

MrInfinity
    www.infinitrader.net

• Nutty about Disney parks

No...just no.

I think it was said that a reason against a 5th gate was because guests are already worn out trying to experience everything alone in just four parks.

I mean if they really want to build a Star Wars Land they might as well do it in DHS, in a park that badly needs it. But if failing that they could build a new DHS and tear down the old one.

As for the other franchises...

Carsland? I gotta say no. Why clone the one thing that DCA needed to make itself a one-of-a-kind destination. If it's Magic Kingdoms I can understand cloning but I want DCA and DHS to be as different as they possibly can.

OZ? My friend kept wanting me to see this movie with him. It didn't look appealing at all to me. He finally watched it on his own and he said it was terrible. Worst than he expected it to be. I'm not surprised. Even the previews looked boring. Now if Disney were somehow able to get the full theme park rights to the 1939 MGM musical that they keep ripping off then I would consider it.

Alice in Wonderland? This one I've seen and it was pretty dull and boring. Just making it dark and action-y is not enough to make a good adaptation of this story (or any story for that matter). Disney's live action department seems to be developing a trend with films like this. But to me they seem to be generic and lifeless with these kind of films. There's no sense of wonderment. It just seems so dull.

• film975

If any movie franchise deserves its own theme park, then Star Wars would be it. But I agree that Disney Hollywood Studios is in major need of expansion.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    As for the other franchises...

Carsland? I gotta say no. Why clone the one thing that DCA needed to make itself a one-of-a-kind destination. If it's Magic Kingdoms I can understand cloning but I want DCA and DHS to be as different as they possibly can.

OZ? My friend kept wanting me to see this movie with him. It didn't look appealing at all to me. He finally watched it on his own and he said it was terrible. Worst than he expected it to be. I'm not surprised. Even the previews looked boring. Now if Disney were somehow able to get the full theme park rights to the 1939 MGM musical that they keep ripping off then I would consider it.

Alice in Wonderland? This one I've seen and it was pretty dull and boring. Just making it dark and action-y is not enough to make a good adaptation of this story (or any story for that matter). Disney's live action department seems to be developing a trend with films like this. But to me they seem to be generic and lifeless with these kind of films. There's no sense of wonderment. It just seems so dull.
    Okay, so you think they are boring. I happen to disagree. They cover stories that are timeless. The number of remakes tells you how entrenched they are in the consciousness of the public.

I would love to see how Disney can incorporate these properties into full featured large scale projects. It would be magical.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast