Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Throwing money away ...

I guess 'W' is correct and our economy is better than ever (COUGH, COUGH, CHOKE) because people seem to love to throw money all around at WDW and not just in fountains.

It's the herd mentality, no doubt. But boy I find it annoying as hell. And please don't say it's because all the bumpkin visitors know Disney donates (allegedly) all the money to charity.

Standing in line the other day for Everest, I couldn't help but watch as folks emptied their pockets (and we aren't talking pennies or nickels anymore ... most people toss quarters now) and threw money into the courtyard area. Perhaps, they were just making an offering for the Yeti.

But what annoyed me even more was going to Boma for dinner (no, I'm not going to complain about all the simpletons who pay $25.99 to eat chicken fingers, mac n' cheese and fries off the kiddie buffet). Outside the restaurant they have a fountain and the pastry chefs have created an amazing confectionary version of the AKL. There's a sign asking people to NOT throw money at it as it's fragile. Forgettaboutit. People were making a game out of trying to destroy the thing by throwing and giving their brats change to try and take out an elephant or column or part of the roof.

Again, I guess it's just me not being a people person because I thought they should have been sternly told not to do so, but the CMs were way too busy (and disinclined and they'd probably lose a job).

Like I said, herd mentality ...

• The one, the only...

Re: Throwing money away ...

I am not sure why people do that either. Certainly, there are superstitions, but I don't believe people really think about it.

I saw all the change in front of Boma last month. I too thought it was a waste.

People who would complain about getting their dime back in change will then through quarters into the pool. It really does not make sense.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

I hate it when people throw their money in fountains and waiting area displays... it simply makes the areas untidy, unclean and unattractive. I wish Disney would encourage guests to stop this... but then again.. where would they get the money to build such E tickets as Everest? ..and, do they really donate that money to charity??

youknow TDLFAN it might not be a bad idea to put a coin box out for Etickets somehow I could almost see that working which might be scary o_o

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Interesting... What is it with people throwing coins into things? I was suprised to read in TDL's Expedition Everest thread that people were throwing coins in a specific queue area.

I've never been one to throw a coin in a fountain..much less anywhere else. What's the point? Wishes don't come true.... oh wait... that's the point of WDW.. Wishes DO come true!

• most magical vaca ever

Most places where people toss their change into a fountain have a sign that notes where the $ gets donated but I'm sure in WDW those fountains bring in lots of $ that goes to the pockets of those that don't need it....

I am a coin tosser but only into fountains....

I just love to throw my $ away because yes I do have so much to spare..... NOT!!!!

~~~~~~

• Banned User

Money thrown into Small World I belive used to go to Give Kids the World... but I can't confirm that it still does. I think it goes to "The Disney Hand" now.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I think it is Disney hand too.

I'll throw some change in the fountains everyonce in a while, it lessens the amount of change in my wallet and I guess I don't mind throwing out a few pennies and nickels when most of Disney's fountain change gets donated.

The only place I do consistantly throw change is the Swiss Family Treehouse. Right at the water wheel we always try to get pennies in the moving banboo chutes of water from the top level. I mean oh well, it's pennies, its fun. It's not to the same extend of throwing quarters at a model to destroy it. If they ask you not to throw it then you shouldn't throw it.

• Drunk On Disney

I always notice that people throw pennies all over the AA animals outside of Rainforrest Cafe locations (not just at Disney) and it usually ruins any REALISM the AA might have otherwise.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I think it goes to "The Disney Hand" now.
    You mean that money is being used for improvements in this hand??
    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...155&p=73657208

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I was told that the money collected at Disneyland goes to the United Way, who then disperses it out to various organizations. That was quite awhile ago. Now that they have their own organization, I'm sure they take care of it "in house".
    A signature should go here.

• Minion

Coin tossing in fountains? No problem there. I don't do it and don't even really understand why, but hey, that's fine. Whatever turns your crank.

Coin tossing to destroy a work of art? That's not acceptable! Whatever happened to common courtesy and respect anyway?

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Long gone
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

There aren't all that many fountains at WDW ... well, ones that haven't been shut off and turned into planters to save money.

People just throw money anywhere. In queues, in attractions, etc ... I don't understand it. But, again, I'm not a sheep and don't follow herd mentality.

As to what Disney does with the money ... who knows? That would be an interesting story. But if people threw money around my business, I'd do whatever I pleased with it. Unless I had a wishing well that had a sign proclaiming proceed were donated to a certain charitable organization.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    There aren't all that many fountains at WDW ... well, ones that haven't been shut off and turned into planters to save money.
    You know though I was suprised last weekend...PoTC had some queue fountains turned back on!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast