• Under that tree again!

Detail look at Details in the 7 Dwarfs Mine

All In The Details: Sculpting A Seven Dwarfs Mine in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park « Disney Parks Blog

All In The Details: Sculpting A Seven Dwarfs Mine in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park

Last year, in the months leading up to the unveiling of New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park, we regularly shared bits and pieces of this new land and its amazing detail in our All in the Details series here on the Disney Parks Blog. Today, were thrilled to share more of these images with you of the final attraction thats set to debut in this area Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. To read more, click here.
    view
    thumbnails
    1 of 9

All In The Details: Sculpting A Seven Dwarfs Mine in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Mouseketeer

Re: Detail look at Details in the 7 Dwarfs Mine

While this is a nice tidbit, I find the timing hilarious. Universal had a Harry Potter bonanza with panels, discussions, and interactive goodies.

And Disney puts out pictures of faux wood supports.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    While this is a nice tidbit, I find the timing hilarious. Universal had a Harry Potter bonanza with panels, discussions, and interactive goodies.

And Disney puts out pictures of faux wood supports.
    Disney post little attraction updates about very week. They aren't trying to counter USO just keeping the excitement going.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

ORDDU: Exactly. At this point it's useless to expect Disney to react to whatever Universal is doing. The fans have come to expect Disney to react, but Disney has their own agenda.

• Banned User

Yes, Disney has no response to Universal. Disney can only tout its own accomplishments. While I think the Dwarf mine roller coaster doesn't compare with Diagon Alley, Universal needs it to be a success more than Disney needs their project to be a success. Frankly, I just want Disney to be done with the New Fantasyland. It is so lame that they dragged it out so long since the new land opened in late 2012. It is old news. The new news is Avatar, but it is old news as well since who knows how long it will open, perhaps 2016 or 2017? Goodness.

I think the fantasy land expansion was really exciting news when it was announced and ground was broken but its taking way to long to complete. Its been years and the shine has wore off I think. Lets be honest everyone is excited about harry potter

•   
    • Big Al

I think the details within the attraction are quite nice. Definitely up to Disney standards. It is certainly these things that true fans will appreciate as time goes on. I only hope the attraction itself can live up to the anticipation that's been generated over such a long wait to see it open. I don't believe it was ever designed to compete with Potter, nor will it. It will be a nice and much needed addition to the Magic Kingdom. Still waiting for a nice E Ticket though.

The attention to detail is what still sets Disney apart. They don't spend $109 per first-year-attendee, they spend $500 p/fy/a (or more). This is why we have themed restrooms with frying pans hanging on the walls and $300K castle walls that are in place purely for sightlines.

It's a fun exercise to marvel at how quickly (and cheaply) Universal can get a new attraction up and running in their scattershot parks, but they are putting a great deal of effort into one franchise. Will HP make sense and be relatable to a new generation in ten years? Hunger Games? Who knows? In the meantime, Disney is The Walt Disney Company.

Coke never publicly acknowledges Pepsi. Pepsi does not exist in Coke marketing. This is a basic principle of marketing when you are the #1 positioned product in the world.

It doesn't mean Coca-Cola Company doesn't make a mis-step here and there or that they may lag when it comes to introducing flashy new things. But make no mistake, Coke isn't about to let Pepsi into the first position.

Disney is a world-wide brand with a crushing IP library that continues to grow through a staggering spree of acquisitions. They have opened more parks in the past few years than Universal ever will.

Are Disney parks being challenged in two markets? Yes. But there is more cohesiveness in Disney's park offerings. They skew decisively to a certain market and Universal will be hard-pressed to ever garner the coveted young-family business that Disney controls without equal. Everything at Disney is centered on dominating the segment where 18 - 55 year olds lavish dollars on their 2 - 17 year old dependents.
    ~ Erik

• Mouseketeer

The timing of Disney’s regular update is what makes it laughable. It contrasts two different approaches to marketing. Whether or not Disney as a company acknowledges Universal, both properties have major attractions opening at a similar time. There is a lot of hype about Potter, while the Mine Train has little left due to the drawn out construction schedule.

The people who are designing rides, both Universal Creative and Walt Disney Imagineering, are passionate about rides, and there is a mutual respect for the work done by both sides. There is excitement in WDI about Potter, but I bet the Imagineers would love to show off their own work in a similar manner. In the past, the Disney Studios has tried to take a beloved property against Potter at its height. The timing of the Winnie the Pooh movie against the release of Deathly Hallows Part 2 hurt the former’s financial success. Disney as a business is forced into being nonchalant about its competition, not competing directly, and as you said, pursue its own agenda.

As a result, it seems like WDW can’t see past the end of its nose. I find this all highly amusing.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney