Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• #bringevilback

1st WDW trip for a DLR regular

I took my first trip to WDW, solo, last week and thought I'd do a quick TR.

Sunday I went straight to MK after a red eye flight, took a mid day break and was back for MSEP and Wishes. The castle is impressive, especially the Celebrate the Magic projection show they do on it! I finished the night off at Be Our Guest, which was the highlight of my trip!

HUGE castle!

The ballroom...amazing!

The grey stuff is delicious! The dishes know what they are talking about!

Monday I started at AK for morning EMH and finished all major rides except Kali within the extra hour and was done at the park, doing both trails, Flights of a Wonder and Nemo by 1, including lunch. The only thing I missed was the wilderness station.

Tree of life is amazing!

The afternoon was spent at DHS where I missed the shows but got in ToT and RnRC and finished with Fantasmic! I would have been able to do more if my lunch ADR for my F! Dining package at Mama Melrose hadn't taken 2 hours! So frustrating, although the entree was yummy!

Their finale boat is so sad...

Tuesday I went to WWoHP at universal and I'm sad to say that the most magic of my trip happened here! I was selected to be the first family and open the park, which gave us a slight head start, slipped right into Olivander's as I walked up and was selected to get my wand and was out and in line for Forbidden Journey as people were still making their way up. I hit both Dragon coasters as walk on back to back and then got butter beer and wandered the shops and went back for a castle walk through. I then went to the final ride, only to find it with a 45 minute wait. I thought surely that can't be right, as it's the least popular, so when I asked at the front if it was she said yes, they only had one train running. I was ready to walk away and she asked how many were in my part, I said just me, and she let me in through the express lane! I would not have gone on it otherwise! I did a final single rider FJ, grabbed another butter beer for the way out, hit the Hulk, picked up my packages at the front, picked up my free picture I got for opening the park and was on my way by 1230!

The afternoon was spent at Epcot, hitting TT, Mission Space, Spaceship Earth and then headed out to start eating my way around the world. I didn't get far! The school bread in Norway was so delicious, I could have just eaten that over and over again! I got about half way around (only ate at 3) and then staked out a spot for Illuminations. Eh, underwhelming and quite loud.

School bread...yummy!!!

Wednesday again was an early morning at DHS for Rope drop and hit ToT x2 and RnRC again but just missed Little mermaid. I headed back to Epcot to do the other half of the world showcase and hit TT again, along with the Seas and the Land. I finished off the day at MK with a second dinner at BOG (I forgot to cancel my original ADR after I got the Sunday one but had such a great time I figured why not go again?!) and a second viewing of Wishes.

Wishes...

My last day, Thursday started with EMH at MK and the n back over to Epcot to meet Belle in her blue dress and get another school bread before I left!

Blue Belle

Overall, it was an okay trip. I don't think I'd go back. I had some bad experiences and rude CMs, and I was underwhelmed by the rides. The only ride I liked better was Peter Pan, due to the larger sets that you go through vs just flying above. It seemed quite crowded, the weather was terrible (mid 80's and humid) and FP+ is extremely limiting with only 3 FP that have to be in the same park.

If only they could bring Belle's village and a World Showcase to Anaheim...

• #bringevilback

Re: 1st WDW trip for a DLR regular

Other thoughts...why is Little Mermaid a 20-40 minute wait??? Our identical ride is rarely over 5 minutes! Also, Soarin and TSMM that've much longer lines there, I didn't bother with them since I have access to them all the time.

Also, ToT having a random drop sequence is cool in theory, but of the 5 times I rode it, we went UP first FOUR times! Who would put up as the first movement on a ride focused on drops?

I understand your feelings toward the castle. After going to WDW for the first time after going to Disneyland, It seems absolutely massive. Great trip report!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Under that tree again!

WDW lines are bad, because they have very similar numbers of people in the parks, but much fewer rides to disperse them. Conversely the pathways are built wide, so do not get crowded, like DCA, but not like the built too small without foresight, DL. DL gets crowds like MK, and DCA like DHS but their four parks have the number of attraction that our two do. It's almost like the lines have to be twice as long.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 02-10-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Other thoughts...why is Little Mermaid a 20-40 minute wait??? Our identical ride is rarely over 5 minutes!
    Because WDW's offers Fastpass, and DCA's version does not.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Even with FP our LM would not be 40 minutes! I would guess it's also related to more locals here vs one timers to WDW who have to experience it. Personally, I'm glad ours is not as long as my niece LOVES it and always wants to go again and again!

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Um, more like because WDW's is in Magic Kingdom that draws more people than any other theme park on Planet Earth drawing 60-80,000 a day, while if DCA would say 30,000 in a day is a success.

When you have tons more people trying to fit through the same ride system, the wait time will increase. That's pretty simple.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

You picked an unfortunate time to visit. The FP+ integration has caused bottlenecks where there were usually none in the legacy FP system.

Additionally, more attractions came online in the FP+ transition and legacy FP wait times, which were typically only loading-platform deep or perhaps one additional cycle behind that, have grown to many load cycles deep for most attractions.

I believe there will be deep changes required for FP+ to work. My opinion is that it is not going well and that there will be much complaining from established customers (e.g., AP holders / DVC owners). The old system, in spite of the problems inherent with the flimsy paper tickets and sometimes fidgety kiosks, never caused so many problems. The never-closing-return-window and on-the-fly reservations contributed to more even ridership than this over-orchestrated system ever will if they don't make significant changes.

At any rate, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit!
    ~ Erik

• #bringevilback

I agree, FP+ in it's current state is not a good situation for anyone who knew about the old system. I unfortunately booked my trip over 6 months before where FP+ was a test with only a few resort guests and paper FP were still available, and I was so disappointed to watch as week by week the parks phased them out just before my trip. It wasn't that great of a trip, and I probably will not return, which is unfortunate. I really wanted to get a bounce back offer and take advantage of my premier pass again, but for me, it isn't worth the airfare out to go again.

I went to WDW once for about a week, and, with apologies to those here who love WDW as much as I adore DLR, I never intend to return.

I tried so hard to love WDW, but I found it disorganized and completely lacking in the work ethic and decorum you find at Disneyland, nor did I sense at all any allegiance to Walt's dream. I became so frustrated with the sloppy crowd control, the lackadaisical attitude of the cast members, and the people running around the Magic Kingdom in clothing befitting a cheesy water park -- and all with no security presence to speak of -- I finally went in to City Hall to complain. I informed the guest relations crew that I felt like I had spent thousands of dollars to go to Six Flags, and it was now more apparent to me than ever that Disneyland truly is the jewel in the crown.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant! And again, apologies to those who love WDW. I know the feeling from my own affection for the park that started it all.

I had visited Disneyland approximately once a year my entire life when I finally went to Walt Disney World when I was 35. I did very little research as I wanted to experience things for myself without too much prior knowledge.

What was my experience like at WDW? Sublime. I loved it. Taken as a whole I think it's as great as the Disneyland Resort. I certainly understand those not liking Magic Kingdom as much as Disneyland itself, but the entire resort is just spectacular.

One thing that is a little strange though is RAIN. Luckily it's quick and over before you know it, but it was a little weird being rained on in a Disney park. I'm an Oregonian though, so it didn't bother me at all.

My wife and I look forward to our next visit to WDW although we'll be waiting for Avatar Land to be finished. And also waiting until our 1 year old son and any potential siblings are at least 5 or 6 so they can walk around that much (it is a BIG place) and they will hopefully remember it pretty well.

We go to Disneyland every year of course!

• Under that tree again!

Cassie, great Trip Report. I'm glad you got to see a new Disney Resort.

Sorry it's lead to a WDW bad, DLR good thread.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlybear55 View Post
    I went to WDW once for about a week, and, with apologies to those here who love WDW as much as I adore DLR, I never intend to return.

I tried so hard to love WDW, but I found it disorganized and completely lacking in the work ethic and decorum you find at Disneyland, nor did I sense at all any allegiance to Walt's dream. I became so frustrated with the sloppy crowd control, the lackadaisical attitude of the cast members, and the people running around the Magic Kingdom in clothing befitting a cheesy water park -- and all with no security presence to speak of -- I finally went in to City Hall to complain. I informed the guest relations crew that I felt like I had spent thousands of dollars to go to Six Flags, and it was now more apparent to me than ever that Disneyland truly is the jewel in the crown.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant! And again, apologies to those who love WDW. I know the feeling from my own affection for the park that started it all.
    traffic control in the parks was TERRIBLE! I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it! I staked out a firework spot my last night and was next to a wheelchair right at the front of a viewing area. Well, people kept cutting in front and the little boy in the wheelchair couldn't see and even my view was partially blocked. The CM "controlling" the area did nothing until I asked her, and then the people refused to move! She did go get her supervisor and they edged over a bit but seriously, terrible CMs and terrible people! Also, after fireworks getting to frontierland was a joke! The bridge was a big mess of people going both ways all the way across and we stood still for a good 2-4 minutes, just waiting for people to figure out a way to squeeze through. As much as i find our one way routes frustrating if I want to do jungle cruise after fireworks, at least there is a method to the madness!

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Sorry it's lead to a WDW bad, DLR good thread.
    Honestly, i mind, since that was my whole trip! I tried to not compare it and tried to find the good in WDW, and what I posted here was the good. Unfortunately, there was a lot of bad and a lot of just mediocre experiences. I was so unimpressed with EE I didn't even ride it again, and I'll ride CS 3-5 times in a single visit at DL, and I'll do that a few times a week! RnRC was better the second twine when I made sure to sit up straight the whole time so my ears didn't get banged, but still, not great. I did love ToT and TT and hit 5 times on each of those!

Cassie, what you described about the little guy in the wheelchair is just awful, and the experience pretty much sums up my daily experience while I was there, too. Sad but true. I'll stick with DL, thank you very much!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast